Vinyl Record Sales....................

Vinyl Record Sales....................

Postby MMMC » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:02 pm

This is good news for all turntable manufacturers.

https://uproxx.com/music/vinyl-record-sales-beat-cd-sales/

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Re: Vinyl Record Sales....................

Postby Peer Gynt » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:51 pm

Part of this is the slow death of the CD. The other part is the obscene price of new vinyl.

It will be interesting to see if either can hang on in the face of consumer preference for McMP3 burgers.
Main System: MW-1 Cyclone, Lyra Etna, Ekos SE (long headshell), Radikal+Keel+Harban LP12, Conrad Johnson TEA1 + ET7s2 + LP275Ms, Revel F228Bes + ML BF210. Other source is Marantz SA-KI Ruby Ken Ishiwata Signature Reference SACD/CD/DAC.
Peer Gynt

Postby jb2455 » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:39 pm

Hi Peer, I am with you on the new price of vinyl but it's really inflation to blame. I remember riding my bicycle to the drug store on Whidbey Island, Washington to buy records 5 miles there and seemingly 3 miles back (so excited! vinyl in hand) 1972 my copy of Thick as a Brick was $6.50... today's $ would be about $40 today (2021)..

jb
Avenger Plus with Fatboy, Lyra Etna and Koetsu Onyx
Lampizator GG2 with Komputer
Pass Labs XP27 and XP22
Equi=Tech Model Q
Pass Labs XA-160.8 monos
Pure Audio Project Quintet with Voxative field coils
Velodyne DD 10's
Various cables and stuff
jb2455

Postby suntea » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:39 am

jb2455 wrote:Hi Peer, I am with you on the new price of vinyl but it's really inflation to blame. I remember riding my bicycle to the drug store on Whidbey Island, Washington to buy records 5 miles there and seemingly 3 miles back (so excited! vinyl in hand) 1972 my copy of Thick as a Brick was $6.50... today's $ would be about $40 today (2021)..

jb

Agree to a point but if you paid $6.50 for an LP in 1972 you paid too much! I made a habit of throwing LP receipts in my LP covers back then. In 1972 I regularly paid between $3.85 to $4.28 in the Boston area! Never paid "list price" for an LP. $4.28 was the regular, not on sale price for LPs at Jordan Marsh dept. store. Not arguing, just remembering.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3,Ortofon quint Brnz,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby pvannest » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:29 pm

The majority of my purchases have been used. Most under $1.00. However, that has started to change as one local thrift store has a section of used vinyl going for upwards to $50.00 for certain collector albums. Even so, there are still deals out there if you have an excellent record cleaner. I use a combination of ultrasonic and vacuum. You'd be surprised the quality if you are careful....
Classic 2 with Classic 3 arm
Soundsmith Boheme
Wayne's Ring
Project RPM 1.3 with Acrilic platter + speedbox
Hana SL
Bottlehead Eros with Mundorf caps
Bottlehead BePree
Two mismatched 12" subs
Vincent SP-332
Cambridge Topaz CD10
Magnepan 3.7i
pvannest

Postby tom collins » Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:16 am

Since you mention cleaning, I use the same technique, clean with ultrasonic and dry with nitty gritty.
I was listening to a genuine 70's copy of Tubular Bells, by Mike Oldfield (used in the classic movie "the exorcist") and darned if it didn't sound clean and clear and scary in parts. Careful ultrasonic cleaning and our new generation of needles make those oldies should near new.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring, weight, 12.0, 12.7, 3d arms, SDS, SRA platform; Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, SS Gold Denon, Grado ME+ carts; Cary PH302/2 phono; Coincident Frankenstein IIs and preamp; Devore 88 speakers; 2 Goldenear Supersubs.
tom collins

Return to News