Michael Fremer of Stereophile Reviews the HW-40

Michael Fremer of Stereophile Reviews the HW-40

Postby Jbelben » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Hi

I received my digital copy of the January Stereophile a couple days ago......and in it there is a wonderful review of the VPI HW-40 by Michael Fremer. Check it out. I tried to copy a link to the story without success. Kudos again to the VPI team for building the table that has resulted in the rave review by Michael Fremer.

I purchased Serial number 25, sight unseen, so Michaels findings confirmed what my ears have already told me along with my faith in the VPI team.

Seasons Greetings To All

Jerry
Jbelben

Re: Michael Fremer of Stereophile Reviews the HW-40

Postby MMMC » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:27 am

Jbelben wrote:Hi

I received my digital copy of the January Stereophile a couple days ago......and in it there is a wonderful review of the VPI HW-40 by Michael Fremer. Check it out. I tried to copy a link to the story without success. Kudos again to the VPI team for building the table that has resulted in the rave review by Michael Fremer.

I purchased Serial number 25, sight unseen, so Michaels findings confirmed what my ears have already told me along with my faith in the VPI team.

Seasons Greetings To All

Jerry

Congratulations Jerry!!! I have not read M.Fremer's review, but judging by the components list, and knowing Harry, Matt, and the VPI team are responsible for it's building, I'm very sure you are all smiles!!! Which VPI table has it replaced? Please post what you are spinning in the Forum, along with "your" review of the HW-40.

MMMC
One of the last HR-X production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby tom collins » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:59 am

in the original review, he raved about the first iteration. in this review, he believes that this version is improved in nearly every way and of course at 1/2 the price is a very good value. when you consider that his reference tone arm by itself costs 3 times what the entire vpi with arm costs, that is high praise.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring, weight, 12.0, 12.7, 3d arms, SDS, SRA platform; Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, SS Gold Denon, Grado ME+ carts; Cary PH302/2 phono-pre; Cary 30i EL34 int. amp; Coincident Franks and preamp; Devore 88 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby suntea » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:10 pm

I see in the review it is stated that after the limited edition of 400 tables are sold there will be a "standard HW-40" that will not be a limited run. For that version the Fatboy tonearm will be an option, allowing "the buyer can use the tonearm of his or her choice".

Does this mean that 10 inch unipivot arms can be used on the HW-40 models released after the limited run is sold out? Or it be just 12 inch arms? Or just Fatboys?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3,Ortofon quint Brnz,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby Jbelben » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Hi Suntea

Michel Fremer described the HD 40 attributes far more eloquently than I can, but I quickly and similarly noticed the increased quietness, d
Low level detail along with the improved bass and imaging (depth and width)

I will say though, that even with the VPI HD 40 improved feet.... they are no match for the Isoacoustics GIA11’s. I used the GIAA’s on my VPI Classic 4, and found similar improvements when I replaced the standard (newly improved) HD 40 feet with the GIAA’s. If you own any VPI table, its performance will be significantly Improved with the addition of the ISoacoustics feet.

As for what I am spinning, I just received a significant vinyl shipment from Elusive Disc that includes Jennifer Warnes new album, Robbie Robertson’s new album , ++++. I am waiting for the New Thelonous Monk Mobile Fidelity ..one step and the new Dire Straights.....Love Over Gold.

Regards

Jerry
Jbelben

Postby Bill Stevenson » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:22 pm

Jerry,

Are your Isoacoustics GIA feet model I, good for up to 70 lbs., or model II, good for up to 120 lbs.? I have used these with great success under both speakers and turntables too, and certainly intend to order them for my HW-70 based on your post. Thanks,

Bill
Bill Stevenson

Postby Brf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:52 pm

suntea wrote:I see in the review it is stated that after the limited edition of 400 tables are sold there will be a "standard HW-40" that will not be a limited run. For that version the Fatboy tonearm will be an option, allowing "the buyer can use the tonearm of his or her choice".

Does this mean that 10 inch unipivot arms can be used on the HW-40 models released after the limited run is sold out? Or it be just 12 inch arms? Or just Fatboys?

I don’t know the answer to your tonearm option question, but for clarity, the HW 40 uses neither the 12” or 10” Fatboy tonearm. The tonearm used on HW 40 is slightly less than a 12”
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Mat » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:59 pm

Glad people are starting to see the Fremer Review! I'm excited about all the positive press we have had on this model and that we were even able to accomplish it in such a short period of time.

You will be seeing more direct drive and exciting news to come very shortly... actually we are having our dealer/distributor training next weekend so information will start trickling out after that, but there will be some flexibility in the future on tonearms. 8-)

Also just to touch upon the GIAAS, we love that company and Dave (the owner). While I'm extremely proud of the HW-40 feet, if someone wants to Hot-rod and modify their table the GIAAS are a brand that get our endorsement. :D
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Bill Stevenson » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:42 pm

Following up on the GAIA Isoacoustics feet under the HW-40, I wound up asking for a recommendation from the manufacturer since this thread was silent on which model would work best. The GAIA I is rated for up to 70 pounds, the GAIA II is rated for up to 120 pounds. According to the Isoacoustics people either would work, but since the HW-40 weighs 70 pounds the GAIA II would be preferred. That is what I bought and they definitely improved the sound, bass is more well defined, and it is even quieter believe it or not.

For those who are interested, Mikey Fremer's review is right on target as near as I can tell. His great experience with many turntables over many years puts the HW-40 into a perspective that is unmatched. The turntable is so well designed that it is a joy to use. Everything works, fits, sounds right, It is simplicity itself to setup and to use. At the same time it is not over-engineered, rather it was designed with a light touch. Hands down this is the best turntable in my experience in every way.

Bill
Bill Stevenson

Postby bdp24 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:31 am

Congratulations Bill! I'd love to have an HW-40, but I'm poor :-( . If you can manage to audition a set, try the Townshend Audio Seismic Pods in place of the GAIA. For 70 lbs., you will want a set of 4 Model "C" Pods.
bdp24

Next

Return to News