Exciting News... TAS to-review the VPI Avenger!!!

Exciting News... TAS to-review the VPI Avenger!!!

Postby Jbelben » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi Everyone

I just downloaded the latest version of TAS and low and behold in the Golden Ear Awards section it references an upcoming review of the VPI Avenger and 12”3D Tonearm.... Hallelujah!!!!

Hopefully the past is finally done with and VPI will rightfully receive it’s place as a regularly reviewed Vinyl Icon in TAS!!!!

Better Days Ahead!!!!

J
Last edited by Jbelben on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jbelben

Re: Exciting News...The Cold War May be about to end!!!!

Postby suntea » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:22 pm

I wonder if they will do a thorough review unlike the superficial one they did on the Mobile Fidelity table. They screamed on the cover about how great it is and the review is lacking in depth information.

Besides, who needs them?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Pre, McIntosh MC275 VI Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL T9i woofer (2)
suntea

Re: Exciting News...The Cold War May be about to end!!!!

Postby Jbelben » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:47 am

I do not see it as a matter of need. TAS and VPI are arguably both seen as leaders and earning the ongoing respect of audiophiles in NA and Globally in their respective audiophile pursuits.

Not having VPI reviewed by TAS created an awkward miss that defied rationale explanation and will hopefully now go away.

Cheers

J

PS I am a big fan of both and I have been lobbying TAS for a number of years to deal with the obvious miss.
Jbelben

Re: Exciting News... TAS to-review the VPI Avenger!!!

Postby Peer Gynt » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:33 am

I am not a fan of any of the magazines, including TAS.

That said, a good review in one of the magazines can make a product, and a bad one can kill it. There is risk in letting them look at your stuff.

I have been in this hobby for 50+ years, and have upgraded, built and rebuilt many turntables, including LP12s.

I have two exceptionally nice LP12s. They sound incredible.

Before he came to audition them, a friend declared “Those LP12s aren’t even recommended anymore. They’re class C at best. “

I laughed it off and told him he should listen and decide for himself.

He did. And he was awestruck and humbled. You can’t know ANYTHING based on a review, except what the reviewer thinks. Not very useful for me.

He is coming again next week. I’ve got the Levinson/VPI and the best LP12 really dialed in in the same system.

I honestly can’t decide which is better. They’re both so delightfully engaging. The Levinson, with its Ortofon Cadenza Bronze is warmer and seems to put me close to the front, but in the audience. The 50% more expensive at retail high spec LP12 with Lyra Kleos gives so much detail that I sometimes feel like I’m sitting with the performers.

The magazines can’t help but be influenced by their experiences with the company. No doubt Linn have the most abrasive company in the industry, bar none. VPI should not suffer Linn’s fate. They’re much more likable.

That said, I hope the TAS review goes well.
Peer Gynt

Return to News