VPI Cartridge Recommendations

Re: VPI Cartridge Recommendations

Postby VinBob » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Hello All,

Have the upgrade bug and looking to move to up a level on my phono cartridge - I have a DV 20x2L with maybe 20-25 hours on it (yes, very low hours due to spending more time tweaking/upgrading and not playing!) and looking to trade in for either the DV-XX2 or Lyra Delos. Does anyone know of a good place that would give a decent trade in purchasing into either the Delos or XX2? I am essentially looking to find a place that is not going to give me $300 for my cartridge too! ;)

Cheers,
Vin.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby 10ovr » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:34 pm

VinBob wrote:Hello All,

Have the upgrade bug and looking to move to up a level on my phono cartridge - I have a DV 20x2L with maybe 20-25 hours on it (yes, very low hours due to spending more time tweaking/upgrading and not playing!) and looking to trade in for either the DV-XX2 or Lyra Delos. Does anyone know of a good place that would give a decent trade in purchasing into either the Delos or XX2? I am essentially looking to find a place that is not going to give me $300 for my cartridge too! ;)

Cheers,
Vin.

VAS Nova cart blows the doors off the Lyra Delos for less money Just say n
10ovr

Postby TomD » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:42 am

VinBob wrote:Hello All,

Cheers,
Vin.

I would strongly recommend at least letting it finish breaking in. At 25 hours you haven't heard its full potential yet.
If you really don't like it, Elusive disc has been advertising trade-in for Soundsmith carts lately. Worth a try to see what they might work out.
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby Spsesq » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:32 am

https://image.ibb.co/c41HnF/IMG_0066.jpg

I just had a Dynavector 10x5 retipped with a boron cantilever and linear contact nude stylus. Mounted on my spare JMW-9 memorial arm wand. Sounds amazing!
VPI 2017 Prime Scout
Ortofon 2M Black
Eagle PSU/Roadrunner tachometer
Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum II Amp.
BlueSound Vault
Harmon Kardan TD262 tape deck
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD/CD player
Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp
KEF LS50 speakers
Grado RS1e Headphones
Spsesq

Postby Pianist » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:37 pm

One VPI dealer I spoke to had bad things to say about Soundmith cartridges (poor detail) and almost obscene comments about Grado, even the Reference or Statement models (muddy, poor construction, cause hum, etc.). I do see a fair number of you who own either of these. Is he a charlatan? Deaf? I'd appreciate your experience with either brand.

I have a Prime Signature on order and I decided to keep my current Otofon 2M Black for the time being until my wife recovers from the cost of the PS! :D My current TT is a VPI Scout 1.1, and I'm hoping the 2MB sounds a little warmer and less sensitive to surface noise in the new and better arm.
DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; PrimaLuna HP integrated amp; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Esoteric K-03 SACD; Audeze LCD-XC headphones
Pianist

Postby Mikeknj » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:03 pm

I have had a SoundSmith Zephyr on my Classic I and now a Zephyr MIMC Star. I feel that both are the best cartridges I have ever owned.

I changed dealers because my old dealer made me feel like an idiot for wanting a Grado. He felt any moving coil was better than any moving magnet. The SoundSmith cartridges are detailed and musical.
Mikeknj

Postby JoeyGS » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:07 am

Hi,

I noticed that Ortofon MM is the only recommended cartridge for the entry level VPI (Cliffwood, Player, Scout Jr.).

Does that mean that the tonearm for these entry-level VPI does not match MC cartridges and are better off with MM?

OR aside from MM cartridges what would you recommend for a Scout Jr.?

Thanks
JoeyGS
JoeyGS

Postby Pianist » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:33 pm

I decided to go for an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze.
DALI Epicon 2 speakers; SVS SB13 Ultra sub; PrimaLuna HP integrated amp; VPI Prime Signature/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze; Esoteric K-03 SACD; Audeze LCD-XC headphones
Pianist

Postby adeep42 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Think you'll be really happy with the Cadenza Bronze. Bought mine on a Harry recommendation. and I love it in the 3D arm. Huge uptick from the 2M Black.
Prime #631
Symposium Footer Damping Inserts
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
Cambridge Audio 752BD
adeep42

Postby Packgrog » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:26 am

JoeyGS wrote:Hi,

I noticed that Ortofon MM is the only recommended cartridge for the entry level VPI (Cliffwood, Player, Scout Jr.).

Does that mean that the tonearm for these entry-level VPI does not match MC cartridges and are better off with MM?

OR aside from MM cartridges what would you recommend for a Scout Jr.?

Thanks
JoeyGS

I run an Audio Technica AT33PTG/II on my Scout Jr. Seems just fine (though I may have some simple setup issues that are bugging me). The mass pairing is just fine. I think the focus on MM for the lower end models is about respective budget and likelihood of buyers being willing to spend the time and money on a proper preamp and/or step-up transformer. If you're getting the Jr or Cliffwood, you're not likely to go nuts with other stuff, and simply upgrading the stylus on a 2m means not having to fuss with realigning a new cartridge (my current problem). The compliance match isn't an issue, just budget.

The Player is also a special case because it has a built-in phono preamp, and while it would work just fine with a nice HOMC, the volume range on the headphone amp would be woefully inadequate. This was why I switched from the Player to the Jr, when I was having issues with the 2m Red (I also already had a nice MC-friendly phono preamp).

So yeah, any of the recommended carts should work on just about any VPI arm, though the 3D arms are a little lower mass than the aluminum once, and can effect compliance matching. But are you really going to put a $3700 Lyra Kleos on a $1000-$1500 turntable? :P
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

PreviousNext

Return to News