RCA phono cables Nordost vs Cardas

RCA phono cables Nordost vs Cardas

Postby SCpass1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi All:

I have a VPI Classic with an Ortofon 2M black, but will upgrade to a MC cart in the future. Using a Pass Labs XP-17 phono, still breaking it in. Getting a Pass INT-60 soon. Speakers are Dynaudio Excite x-44's. Speaker cables are Nordost Heimdall 2's, really like how they sound. Currently using MIT cables, looking to upgrade to either Nordost Heimdall2 or Cardas Clear RCA phono cables. Any one out there have an opinion on pros/cons of either cable?
SCpass1

Re: RCA phono cables Nordost vs Cardas

Postby 930turbo » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:20 am

Hi ,

I have not tried the Nordost nor the Cardas . But Ive been using the VPI PHONO cables . They’re quite good and wont empty your wallet. The VPI wiring inside the tonearm is the same as the wiring they use for their phono cable. I believe the wires are from the Discovery brand .

Hope this helps ,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby 10ovr » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:46 am

Another cable to look at is Audio Sensibility ,,A lot of people here use them as I do ,,Great cables viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9348&p=36656&hilit=Audio+Sensibility#p36656
10ovr

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:30 pm

I am currently using Tempo Electric "Big Twist" pure silver phono cables. Quite remarkable sounding cables at a great price especially if you don't mind making them yourself. There is an interesting story behind these cables.
Letsmakeadeal

Postby SCpass1 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi All:

I really appreciate all of your replies. I am going to seriously consider the Audio sensibilities cables...Maybe it was meant to be, as I live in Canada and they're Canadian made cables! I have heard good things about them just before I joined the VPI forum, having some senior members give their honest opinions drove it home for me... Happy listening!

Regards,

Sanjay aka SCpass1
SCpass1

Postby Pythonman » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:18 am

I’m currently burning in a set of ZU Mission phono cables. They are beyond amazing high resolution cables with a bewitchingly lifelike midrange and detail galore. They really trounced my Monster Cable Interlink 400 II and Audioquest Golden Gate interconnects I have tried so far. ZU is selling them on eBay which gives one the chance to score a set at an incredible price.
VPI Prime, Hana SH, Parasound A21, Parasound P5, Parasound JC3+, Athena AS F2s
Pythonman

Postby Brf » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:01 pm

I’ve tried the Nordost Frey 2 phono cable and it is excellent. Very detailed and quick, very much the Nordost sound. I too use the pure silver Audio Sensibility phono cable on my system.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby MOON » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:36 pm

Audio Sensibility silver statement here too. With the exchange on the dollar you guys in the States get aN exceptional deal to boot.
Prime 152, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution phono stage , Audio Sensibility silver statement phono cable.
MOON

Postby suntea » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:41 am

The VPI cable works well.
Last edited by suntea on Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2,McIntosh 2300 Pre,McIntosh MC275 VI Amp,McIntosh MVP861 disc player,Tannoy Turnberry Speakers,REL T9i woofers
suntea

Postby SCpass1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:19 pm

Hello All:

I’d like to give everyone an update. I bought the AS Signature V3 RCA phono cables, I also have 2sets of their Statement series XLR interconnects. All of theses cables are dead quiet. Especially hooked up to the Pass XP17 phono going into my other recent acquisition INT-60 amp. I’m breaking in the amp for the last 2 weeks. It sounds great and will get better as time goes on, it’s got about 150 hours on it. I decided to go with the best cable from Audio Sensibility to keep things as quiet as possible, and I’m glad I did. The interconnects are 1 step down from their top. Waiting on a periphery ring from my dealer The Audio Surgeon.

Maybe next year a Prime Sig with an Ortofon Cadenza Black

Regards,

SCpass1
SCpass1

Return to Future VPI Owners