Very noob question on ADS

Very noob question on ADS

Postby mgrenwic » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:08 pm

Hello,

Im a bit confused with what the purpose of the ADS is?
Does it make automatic corrections in speed or just allow you to fine tune the speed?
Also, how do you know if the speed is off?

Thanks
mgrenwic

Re: Very noob question on ADS

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:16 pm

mgrenwic wrote:Hello,

Im a bit confused with what the purpose of the ADS is?
Does it make automatic corrections in speed or just allow you to fine tune the speed?
Also, how do you know if the speed is off?

Thanks

The ADS allows you to fine tune speed. It comes with a Strobe disk or you can use a Smartphone app or your own strobe disk.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby TomD » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:47 pm

In addition to fine tuning speed, it also has the potential to improve the sound by providing an absolutely stable power source, and also lowering the power to the motor to reduce vibration/noise.

You can also use it to switch between 33/45 automatically without messing with the belt. A nice convenience feature.

Tom
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby tom collins » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:04 pm

don't buy it without a return guarantee. see the other posts relating to hum problems.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Stringreen » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:08 pm

The SDS has a speed adjustment, but I'm pretty sure that ADS does not. I have heard lots of bad news about the ADS....although VPI has also heard these stories, and have or will shortly fix the issues.
Stringreen

Postby Brf » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:55 pm

Stringreen wrote:The SDS has a speed adjustment, but I'm pretty sure that ADS does not. I have heard lots of bad news about the ADS....although VPI has also heard these stories, and have or will shortly fix the issues.

The ADS does have the ability to vary the line frequency i.e. motor speed. Some early generation ADS did suffer from an audible hum due to incorrectly spec’d power transformer which has since been replaced in the current production samples.
Brf
Site Admin

Return to Future VPI Owners