HW-19 Mk.2/3 vs. Aries 1?

HW-19 Mk.2/3 vs. Aries 1?

Postby bdp24 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:52 am

I posted this in the General Topics section, but I'll do it here as well. I welcome comments and opinions on the relative merits of the HW-19 Mk. 2/3 and Aries 1 tables---one vs. the other.
bdp24

Re: HW-19 Mk.2/3 vs. Aries 1?

Postby Brf » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:23 am

Two great tables that choose a different path to achieve excellent sound. The Aries was designed to give TNT performance within a more manageable footprint. With the Aries, you have an unsprung suspension with the motor moved off the plinth, which results in a cleaner sound with higher resolution. The HW19 is more forgiving table with respect to placement and always sounds good. You can tweak the heck out of a HW 19 or leave it stock, it’s an easy table to live with. The HW 19 mk4 is a lot of table for the money (used). I owned a piano black HW-19 mk4 and wish that I kept it.

Hw-19 vs Aries, nice problem to have.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby JimmyL » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:19 pm

I was trying to buy an Aries 2 just recently but couldn’t complete the deal. So, I decided to build my HW JR into a nicer MK3. Perhaps the Aries is a better rig but there’s a certain attraction to a well restored HW that, given comes close in performance, just has my vote.
As BRF said, “nice problem to have”.
VPI HW19 mod’ed MK3 w/10.5i, Ortofon MC25FL, Musical Paradise MP501 V2 Integrated Tube amp, MP Tube Phono Pre, MP Tube D1 DAC, Harbeth P3esr’s
JimmyL

Postby bdp24 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks fellers. Yup, a 1st world problem, as they say! ;-)
bdp24

Postby bdp24 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:50 am

I have ended up acquiring one of each, at what can only be considered "entry-level" table prices: $500 for a piano black-finish HW-19 with acrylic top plates, and the 1" black platter with lead and cork bottom. I received the table with both it's original springs and Herbies Tenderfoot isolators. I have a set of Sims Navcom Silencers to also try for isolation, and may try a DIY SAMA as well. I have a great Helius arm to mount on the HW-19, and a better platter will be added soon.

Even more amazingly, I got an Aries 1 with the 2/3 aluminum, 1/3 black Delrin TNT-4 platter for $600 total. What a deal! I went looking for an Aries specifically as a table for the Trans-Fi Terminator arm. Since nobody seems to like or use either the air-bladder isolation of the TNT or the VPI replacements for them, an Aries with a set of Townshend Seismic Pod Isolators should be roughly as good as a TNT, but without that tables excessive size. IMO, at any rate!
bdp24

Postby Mr_Putty » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:49 pm

bdp24,
Please give us an update on your impression of the Thounsand isolator. Looks like they have a great series of products. I wonder if there is a US made equivalent?
Cheers,
JTA
Mr_Putty

Postby bdp24 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:26 am

JTA, I have a set of Townshend Pods for my Townshend Rock Elite table, but not yet for either VPI. The Pods are weight rated, each model for a specific range. The set I found used are for loads up to 8-9 lbs. per Pod, which is fine for the weight of the Rock (27 lbs. without arm). Both VPI's are considerably heavier, and require a different weight model. The HW-19's floating steel/acrylic plinth is currently sitting on SIMS Navcom Silencers, the Aries 1 on it's stock cone footers. I bought the Aries specifically to mount a Trans-Fi Terminator arm on, which I have yet to do.

While not wanting to start a controversy or appear argumentative, I don't consider those cones to be isolators, but rather couplers. The first cone on the market was the Mod Squad Tip Toe, and it was touted as being a mechanical diode---energy could travel down from it's flat top, through the aluminum body of the TT, and out it's bottom via the sharp tip, the energy being transferred/transmitted into the shelf/platform. But, the theory went, energy traveling along the surface of that shelf/platform would NOT be transmitted into the Tip Toe, it's sharp bottom point preventing that. Sounds plausible, but is unfortunately not true. Cones are NOT mechanical diodes, and DO allow energy to be absorbed into them through their sharp point. Cones, like spikes, are couplers, not isolators. Gotta get those stock feet off the Aries, replace them with isolators like the Townshend Pods.

Unfortunately, the Townshend Pods are not cheap---about $100 apiece. Their design is quite unique (watch the Townshend video on You Tube for the details), and is patented. Their is a newish American company---IsoAcoustics---making isolation products that are getting attention, the Gaia for speakers, and Iso Pucks and Oreo's for components. Harry Weisfeld himself raves about the Gaia's, but they are about the same price as the Townshend Pods The Iso Pucks and Oreo's are just big rubber "feet", looking sort of like the SIMS Silencers. Gotta find some more used Townshends!
bdp24

Return to Future VPI Owners