VPI Prime Scout - Footfall/Isolation Question

VPI Prime Scout - Footfall/Isolation Question

Postby rawn027 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:37 pm

I am looking to upgrade my current table (Thorens TD-150) and I am tentatively landed on the VPI Prime Scout. How does the VPI handle being on a heavy cabinet, on wood floors over a crawlspace? Right now my Thorens is no especially happy and I have some footfall issues. I will be auditioning a VPI Prime Scout this weekend but wanted to hear what others had to say in this scenario.

Thanks!

-Ron
rawn027

Re: VPI Prime Scout - Footfall/Isolation Question

Postby Brf » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:07 am

Chances are if you having footfall problems with a three spring suspended table, the Prime Scout will suffer the same fate. With the absence of footfall problems, the Prime Scout will sound a lot better than your current Thorens TD-150
Brf
Site Admin

Postby rawn027 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:09 am

I am going to audition a VPI Prime Scout at my house this weekend. Depending on the outcome, I might look into a better rack or wall mount. I have a slight fear of wall mounts, any recommendations on brands? Solidsteel looks well built but costly. Target/Rega concerns me a bit.
rawn027

Postby thegage » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:08 pm

You could look into the Symposium Segue Iso platforms, which are designed to address footfall issues:

http://www.symposiumusa.com/segueiso.html
thegage

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:36 pm

rawn027 wrote:I am looking to upgrade my current table (Thorens TD-150) and I am tentatively landed on the VPI Prime Scout. How does the VPI handle being on a heavy cabinet, on wood floors over a crawlspace? Right now my Thorens is no especially happy and I have some footfall issues. I will be auditioning a VPI Prime Scout this weekend but wanted to hear what others had to say in this scenario.

Thanks!

-Ron

Ron - Before we moved I had my system on the second floor in our home and I had acoustic feedback and footfall issues with my Verdier and subsequently my VPI Classic 4. After a ton of research I had Peter Norbeek of PBN Audio build me a custom wall rack substantial enough to handle the Verdier table which weighed over 140 pounds all in all...It also was large enough to work perfectly for my VPI Classic 4 as well..It was designed to bolt into the wall studs (ideally the wall should be a load bearing wall). All acoustic issues were resolved...The rack was built in the image of Sound Anchors Stands and is very substantial, well damped and very heavy....Since we moved I am on a slab now and no longer use or need the wall mount...It originally cost quite a bit in excess of $1250.00...It is in my garage gathering dust. If you decide that you need or want a wall rack we should talk. I smell a good deal in the offing....

Best Regards
LMAD
Letsmakeadeal

Postby spinblackcircle » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:07 pm

How about the Firestone Air bags that Harry recommends attached to a hardwood board? Search through the forum and I'm sure the part number will come up.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Packgrog » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:41 pm

Wall racks are good if you have bouncy floors. I still have a 2-shelf wall rack that I used to use in an apartment before moving to a place with concrete floors in a listening room. The wider footprint of a VPI deck would necessitate a custom top shelf, but it's still quite sturdy (maybe not for a 140lb deck, but plenty for a Scout), and thick maple or baltic birch plywood with some Herbie's grungebuster dots would be better than MDF anyway. (In case anyone is interested: http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6493 ... r-shelves/)
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby rawn027 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:26 pm

So the VPI Prime is at the house, in the same spot the Thorens was. Absolutely zero issues with skipping. I am sure I could still benefit from isolation but this is a huge step in a very positive direction.

My dealer also had a VPI Scout, is the prime scout a worthy upgrade or would it be worthwhile looking into the old scout?

Thanks,
Ron
rawn027

Postby dodgealum » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:25 pm

For those using a Prime or Classic (or even a VPI table with the Mini HRX feet like mine) you may be interested in trying the Symposium Classic/Prime Footer Damping Insert Kit. I installed these in 15 minutes and they helped to further isolate the table while slightly improving the overall SQ.

http://www.symposiumusa.com/ClassicInserts.html

Enjoy!
System:
VPI "Scout Supreme" (Custom w/ 3D-10 Gimbal)
Soundsmith MIMC Star
Herron VTPH-2A
Herron VTSP-3A (R03)
LTA Ultralinear Amplifier
Daedalus Audio Apollo Speakers
Empirical Design/Dynamic Design Cables
dodgealum

Return to Future VPI Owners