Prime w/extras vs. Prime Signature?

Prime w/extras vs. Prime Signature?

Postby tom_hankins » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:57 am

Hello, new to forums!
I'm looking for the highest performance from these two options, adding on to the Signature is not an option.
1. Prime with ADS, dual pivot, and three belt set up
2. Prime Signature
Thanks in advance for any opinions.
tom_hankins

Re: Prime w/extras vs. Prime Signature?

Postby TomD » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:37 pm

I recently upgraded from the Prime to Prime Signature, and if I was in your shoes I would go Prime Signature all else being equal.

The biggest improvement to the Prime Signature is the armwand. It is really a much better part than the Prime arm and has the upgraded wiring. Also, the motor is in a much heavier housing which reduces vibration, and of course the plinth is much more substantial.

I have an SDS and have found the improvement in sound quality is very minor compared to the upgrades with the Prime Signature. I mainly like the SDS for convenience of switching 33/45.

You could always pickup an SDS/ADS later, and the cost of the dual pivot mod and multiple belt upgrades are minimal to add to the Signature.

Good luck!

Tom
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby tom_hankins » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:13 pm

Thanks for your help. So would you say that the Signature is a little more of everything over the Prime sonically?
tom_hankins

Postby TomD » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:23 pm

tom_hankins wrote:Thanks for your help. So would you say that the Signature is a little more of everything over the Prime sonically?

That pretty much sums it up. Diminishing returns are definitely kicking in - the Prime is already really great, the Signature just brings you a bit closer to the music.
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby jonathanb » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:19 pm

I had a Prime, a Classic Signature and, finally, a Prime Signature. I feel the Prime Signature is an incremental improvement over the Classic Signature but is a more substantial improvement over the Prime. Go with the Prime Signature, set it up and listen to it for a few weeks then perhaps spring for a couple more drive belts and the dual pivot after you've become familiar with the sound of the stock Prime Sig.
jonathanb

Postby tom_hankins » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:56 am

Well problem solved. Bought a dealer demo HR-X with all the goodies, a 12.7 arm, and an ADS power supply.
tom_hankins

Postby tom collins » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:20 pm

Tom. Congratulations, you are done.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby mreeter » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:40 am

tom_hankins wrote:Well problem solved. Bought a dealer demo HR-X with all the goodies, a 12.7 arm, and an ADS power supply.

My Dream Table, you did well! N'joy!!!
VPI Classic Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 3.1TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby tom_hankins » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:21 pm

tom collins wrote:Tom. Congratulations, you are done.

Thank you
tom_hankins

Postby tom_hankins » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:22 pm

mreeter wrote:
tom_hankins wrote:Well problem solved. Bought a dealer demo HR-X with all the goodies, a 12.7 arm, and an ADS power supply.

My Dream Table, you did well! N'joy!!!

Thank You
tom_hankins

Next

Return to Future VPI Owners