Classic Signature vs. Prime

Classic Signature vs. Prime

Postby gmat » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:48 pm

Hello,

I know this has been touched upon in older threads but wanted to get the most up to date information. I've come across a new Classic Signature w/JMW 10-3D Tonearm for $3,999. Seems like a good deal but before pulling the trigger want to hear any pros and cons of this deck vs. a Prime with the same arm. Aesthetically, I prefer the Classic but will go with the best sound quality. Or is it just a different sound? Any information and opinions, especially from those who have heard both is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary
gmat

Re: Classic Signature vs. Prime

Postby jonathanb » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:28 pm

I've owned both: the Classic Signature sounds better than the Prime.
jonathanb

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:34 am

Given the choice, I would pick the Classic Signature over the Prime.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Orchids1 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:35 am

Would you also choose the Classic Signature over the Prime Signature.
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Brf » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:06 am

Orchids1 wrote:Would you also choose the Classic Signature over the Prime Signature.

My gut says yes, but I have never heard the Prime Signature, therefore, I cannot give an informed opinion.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby jonathanb » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:08 am

To my ears, the Prime Signature sounds better than the Classic Signature. It provides an incremental yet quite audible improvement over the Classic Signature.

There's a brand-new Prime Signature on sale on audiogon as well as a virtually new one for sale on usaudiomart. Either is listed at $4450.
jonathanb

Postby spinblackcircle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:27 am

jonathanb wrote:To my ears, the Prime Signature sounds better than the Classic Signature. It provides an incremental yet quite audible improvement over the Classic Signature.

There's a brand-new Prime Signature on sale on audiogon as well as a virtually new one for sale on usaudiomart. Either is listed at $4450.

Also at SSD for a similar price for a A-Stock unit if you want to buy from a dealer with a warranty.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Cat5plus » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:00 pm

I would choose the Classic Signature. Of course I am biased being that I own one. Truthfully I have had both turntables in my system very recently and found I preferred the Classic Signature SE. Both tables had my Ortofon A-95 mounted up. I truly believe there is nothing in that price range that can even come close to matching the Prime or the Classic! In my opinion, you won't be disappointed with either table!
VPI Classic Signature 3D, Lyra Titan i, Ortofon MC A90, Eagle, Roadrunner, Pass Labs X-1 pre, Pass Labs X ono Phono, Pass Labs X 250.5, dcs/Berkeley digital, B&W 805D, JL Audio Fathom sub, Cables: Nordost, Siltech.
Cat5plus

Postby suntea » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:56 pm

Based on the VPI website, the Classic Signature is no longer in production. Has anyone compared the Prime Signature, which is in production, to the Classic Signature?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Preamp, McIntosh MC402 Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL Strata 3 woofer
suntea

Postby jonathanb » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:40 am

Yep, I traded my Classic Signature in for the Prime Signature and had both setup for about few days before I had to ship the Classic Signature to the dealer. They sound very similar, but I think the Prime Signature does everything just a little bit better. I posit that's likely due to the sonic benefits of the 3DR tonearm (mostly its upgraded Nordost wiring) as well a a reduced noise floor due to the outboard motor.
jonathanb

Next

Return to Future VPI Owners