Need Help Choosing My VPI. Clasic 2se or Aries 3

Re: Need Help Choosing My VPI. Clasic 2se or Aries 3

Postby Marc » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:23 pm

suntea wrote: Or is there a different reason it is no longer made? It really looks like a cool table and people seem to like it's performance.

The Aries was a table in between the Classic Signature and the Avenger in both price and performance. With the recent release of the Prime Signature we decided to put more focus into the Prime Signature and the Avenger. That way it was a clear line between the production tables and reference tables. The Avenger would feature the acyrlic-aluminum sandwich that was featured in the Aries and HR-X as well as being able to mount different sized tonearms and the Prime Signature would use the MDF chassis and stick with the JMW-10-3DR tonearm. That being said the Aries 3D is still a world class turntable and sounds phenominal. It is also my personal table of choice ( for now ;) ).
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
VPI Aries 3D| Ortofon Quintet Black| Musical Fidelity M6si | KEF LS50 in Frosted Black | AudioQuest Victoria & Rocket 88
Marc
Site Admin

Postby suntea » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:13 pm

Marc wrote:
suntea wrote: Or is there a different reason it is no longer made? It really looks like a cool table and people seem to like it's performance.

The Aries was a table in between the Classic Signature and the Avenger in both price and performance. With the recent release of the Prime Signature we decided to put more focus into the Prime Signature and the Avenger. That way it was a clear line between the production tables and reference tables. The Avenger would feature the acyrlic-aluminum sandwich that was featured in the Aries and HR-X as well as being able to mount different sized tonearms and the Prime Signature would use the MDF chassis and stick with the JMW-10-3DR tonearm. That being said the Aries 3D is still a world class turntable and sounds phenominal. It is also my personal table of choice ( for now ;) ).

Thanks Marc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Classic 3, Dynavector XX2 MK2, McIntosh 2300 Preamp, McIntosh MC402 Amp, McIntosh MVP861 disc player, Dali MS5 Speakers, REL Strata 3 woofer
suntea

Postby 930turbo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:40 pm

Aries 3 w/ the single motor flywheel is the obvious choice. My sister (930cab) loves it
VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Pilrem » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:55 pm

Thanks for the comments. This is one reason why I like to buy from companies like VPI; support from the manufacturer & loyal owners. I am close to making a deal for the Aries 3 so hopefully I can call it mine soon. Is $3400.00 a reasonable price for this? It has all upgrades including the single flywheel motor.

Another potentially silly question about the outer ring clamp. If I am using a record that is flat do I need to use the ring clamp? Will it help? If I don't use the clamp can I leave it in place and simply place the record over it and only use the center clamp?

Does anyone have any thoughts on the power cord that runs from the SDS to the Motor? Is this something that I should eventually upgrade or is this not an issue?

Thank you again. If I can swing this deal, I post a pic of the finished product.
Pilrem

Postby 930turbo » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:15 am

Hi ,

For 3,400 w/ the Single motor flywheel and if the SDS or ADS is that's a bargain . Make sure it's included in the package . Because if you plug it in directly the speed for 33.3 will be fast and you cannot play 45 rpm lp's

Hope this helps ,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby SubVet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:27 am

Sounds like a bargain to me, assuming everything is in good working order. As for the power cord, I have no intention of upgrading either the SDS cord or the motor cord on mine.
Soundsmith MIMC Star on VPI Aries 3 w/ Classic 3 Arm and SDS
Pass Labs XP-15, Pass Labs XP-10, Pass Labs X-150.8, Audio Sensibility cables and Harbeth C7ES-3 Speakers
Marantz SA8005 and Denon DN-700R recorder on the digital side
SubVet

Postby Pilrem » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:37 am

Thanks for the support. I bought the VPI Aries 3, SDS, Super Platter, Single Flywheel Motor, Feet Upgrade and am having my Lyra Delos mounted on it this week. The VPI was a trade in (For AMG) at a local dealer where I have a good relationship and they gave me a very nice deal including swapping my Delos. I am very excited. I have only two remaining problems that I will look for answers for in the forums. A good place to get a large enough platform for this beast and then a dustcover. One thing always leads to another I guess...
Pilrem

Postby 930turbo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Good choice and Congragulations on the Aries 3. Give us your impression once you set it up . For $3400 it's a great deal.

Best regards ,

930turbo

Postby 10ovr » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:36 pm

Great choice,,My platform for my Aries 3D is 28"x20"x3" and that gives me about 1" all the way around,,You can get Chris at Timber-nation to make you a nice 3" thick maple platform ,,Your probable looking at 4 weeks out to get one but it's worth it,as for a dust cover I just made a 1/4 " thick plexiglass disc the size of a record to cover the platter >dust covers are a pain in the ass after awhile, LOL ,You can also just put an old record on the plater to cover it,,Hope this helps Tim
10ovr

Postby MMMC » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:23 am

Pilrem wrote:Thanks for the support. I bought the VPI Aries 3, SDS, Super Platter, Single Flywheel Motor, Feet Upgrade and am having my Lyra Delos mounted on it this week. The VPI was a trade in (For AMG) at a local dealer where I have a good relationship and they gave me a very nice deal including swapping my Delos. I am very excited. I have only two remaining problems that I will look for answers for in the forums. A good place to get a large enough platform for this beast and then a dustcover. One thing always leads to another I guess...

Pilrem,

I do not know your location, but you can have a dust cover of almost any style and design constructed at your nearest Tap Plastics store. Your design, your way, can, or may, be your most efficient dust cover option. They have lots of experience and can assist you. Congratulations on your Aries 3 purchase with flywheel.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

PreviousNext

Return to Future VPI Owners