Well, I did it

Well, I did it

Postby WERA689 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:36 pm

Hey guys, first post here, but been reading a lot the past few weeks. I've been contemplating upgrading my SOTA Comet, and had pretty much zeroed in on the Prime. While I was shopping around, I stumbled upon a Prime Signature described as "A-minus stock" and "open box" from an authorized dealer....for the price of a new Prime! I called them, and was told that it was originally sold, cartridge mounted, to a professional photographer. The guy took it home and set it up in his studio to photograph. Under studio lighting (VERY bright), he saw some light swirl marks on the plinth, and returned it! The salesman I spoke with said that he looked at it and said "What the f*!@ is he talking about??" :? :D So I just bought it and an Audio Shield acrylic cover for it!

Now for the hard part....waiting for it to arrive! Given their expected shipping time for the cover, it looks like it'll be about a week or so. Patience is NOT one of my strongest virtues! :lol: If y'all have any advice or tips for me during setup, I'd appreciate it. I've never set up a unipivot before, but have done plenty of gimbal-types.
WERA689
Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: Well, I did it

Postby 10ovr » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:00 pm

WERA689 wrote:Hey guys, first post here, but been reading a lot the past few weeks. I've been contemplating upgrading my SOTA Comet, and had pretty much zeroed in on the Prime. While I was shopping around, I stumbled upon a Prime Signature described as "A-minus stock" and "open box" from an authorized dealer....for the price of a new Prime! I called them, and was told that it was originally sold, cartridge mounted, to a professional photographer. The guy took it home and set it up in his studio to photograph. Under studio lighting (VERY bright), he saw some light swirl marks on the plinth, and returned it! The salesman I spoke with said that he looked at it and said "What the f*!@ is he talking about??" :? :D So I just bought it and an Audio Shield acrylic cover for it!

Now for the hard part....waiting for it to arrive! Given their expected shipping time for the cover, it looks like it'll be about a week or so. Patience is NOT one of my strongest virtues! :lol: If y'all have any advice or tips for me during setup, I'd appreciate it. I've never set up a unipivot before, but have done plenty of gimbal-types.

It's a great TT,,You are going to need patience's setting it up,,Just take you time and get it right,,A good little add on is the soundsmith-counter-intuitive http://www.soundstagedirect.com/soundsm ... ries.shtml It well make things easier to set up ,, When you run into something you don't get just post and someone well help,start checking out Youtube on turntable set up's,It well make things a little clearer when you set up yours ,, Enjoy Tim
10ovr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: Fountain Hills AZ

Re: Well, I did it

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:46 am

Intense overhead lighting can make almost anything look bad especially in digital photography....I suspect it will look perfect and probably is...Congratulations on an awesome deal and fantastic table! :D ...Is your dealer setting it up for you or are you doing it? If you are, then just be patient and take your time..If you are getting the 2nd pivot mod you may need to make adjustment to the height of the bearing cup inside the bell housing and also adjust the height of the cueing device to get everything just so...It is all pretty easy really. Just have good light and a jar of patience with you. Depending on how good your eyes are it may be helpful to have a 10X or so magnifying device close by..How far you want to go with the set up? and how anal you are will determine how long setup will take. It can take anywhere from about 15 minutes to an hour or two depending on how fanatical you are about overhang, stylus rake angle and azimuth. If you are using only the supplied VPI set up jig and the rod for azimuth it will go pretty fast. If you got the 2nd pivot mod there is no need for the Counterintuative....

Just jump back in if you need help...
User avatar
Letsmakeadeal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:42 pm

Re: Well, I did it

Postby WERA689 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:49 pm

Thanks guys! Slow and deliberate is my norm....and why I could never have made it as a motorcycle mechanic instead of a parts geek! What flat-rate says I should do in 2 hours, takes me 5 :D And Letsmakeadeal, you're right...I suspect that whatever he saw either won't be visible in regular room lighting, OR I just won't give a damn about minor cosmetic flaws! I bought it for the sound and technology, not as a photo model!

I won't have any tools beyond those that come with the 'table (though a fozgometer seems tempting LOL). And as for the 2nd pivot...honestly, I'm not even sure what that is! As far as I know at this point, this is a box stock Signature, which I assume doesn't include that mod. (Does it?) I haven't ordered a Counterintuitive yet, though I have looked at it. I got the impression that it's mostly about azimuth adjustment, which the 3D arm seems to address better than the previous versions of the JMW arms. Have I misinterpreted what I've read so far?
WERA689
Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: Well, I did it

Postby spinblackcircle » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:06 pm

WERA689 wrote: I got the impression that it's mostly about azimuth adjustment, which the 3D arm seems to address better than the previous versions of the JMW arms. Have I misinterpreted what I've read so far?


While the CounterIntutive was pretty much a mandatory accessory in the past, personally I think it's more of a convenience with the 3D arm. The screw adjust azimuth weights make it super easy to adjust for azimuth.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
User avatar
spinblackcircle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:09 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Well, I did it

Postby WERA689 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:22 pm

spinblackcircle wrote:
WERA689 wrote: I got the impression that it's mostly about azimuth adjustment, which the 3D arm seems to address better than the previous versions of the JMW arms. Have I misinterpreted what I've read so far?


While the CounterIntutive was pretty much a mandatory accessory in the past, personally I think it's more of a convenience with the 3D arm. The screw adjust azimuth weights make it super easy to adjust for azimuth.


Thanks...that's pretty much what I thought. I can always add one down the road, if I find it necessary. To start with, it seems like gilding the lilly. :ugeek:
WERA689
Member
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Re: Well, I did it

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 pm

spinblackcircle wrote:
WERA689 wrote: I got the impression that it's mostly about azimuth adjustment, which the 3D arm seems to address better than the previous versions of the JMW arms. Have I misinterpreted what I've read so far?


While the CounterIntutive was pretty much a mandatory accessory in the past, personally I think it's more of a convenience with the 3D arm. The screw adjust azimuth weights make it super easy to adjust for azimuth.

But it sure dose make it easy to fine tune the VTF and Azimuth ,,Just say-n
10ovr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: Fountain Hills AZ

Re: Well, I did it

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:08 pm

I won't have any tools beyond those that come with the 'table (though a fozgometer seems tempting LOL). And as for the 2nd pivot...honestly, I'm not even sure what that is! As far as I know at this point, this is a box stock Signature, which I assume doesn't include that mod. (Does it?) I haven't ordered a Counterintuitive yet, though I have looked at it. I got the impression that it's mostly about azimuth adjustment, which the 3D arm seems to address better than the previous versions of the JMW arms. Have I misinterpreted what I've read so far?


I own and can recommend the FOZGOMETER..It isn't the last word but it makes setting azimuth easier than any other method I am aware of short of just using the VPI rod and your ears (which actually works pretty well).. I think you are otherwise right on. The VPI tools alone will get you to very good music playback. There is a lot of discussion here on the forum about the second pivot point mod which is now standard on new tonearms. You should really do some homework on this. Check with your dealer to see if your arm already has it. It is a $150.00 upgrade with benefits that are undeniable...The counterintuative is fine and helpful for azimuth adjustment if you don't have the 2nd pivot mod. With the 2nd pivot mod the CI is of no use unless you just want some added mass. With the 2nd pivot mod the azimuth is set using a set screw. You will probably want to spend your money on the 2nd pivot mod if your arm does not have it already instead of a counterintuative purchase.
User avatar
Letsmakeadeal
Senior Member
 
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:42 pm

Re: Well, I did it

Postby baddog » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:44 pm

@letsmakeadeal -

There is a lot of discussion here on the forum about the second pivot point mod which is now standard on new tonearms.


I might have missed this announcement, but I wasn't aware the VPI Dual Pivot point is now standard on new tonearms, are you certain that is true?

Regardless I concur that it is well worth the price.
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
User avatar
baddog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:34 am
Location: USA

Re: Well, I did it

Postby 10ovr » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:51 pm

baddog wrote:@letsmakeadeal -

There is a lot of discussion here on the forum about the second pivot point mod which is now standard on new tonearms.


I might have missed this announcement, but I wasn't aware the VPI Dual Pivot point is now standard on new tonearms, are you certain that is true?

Regardless I concur that it is well worth the price.

My Aries did not come with one,,,,That mite be some of that there fake news :lol:
10ovr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 693
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: Fountain Hills AZ

Next

Return to Future VPI Owners

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

x