Help me upgrade my turntable

Help me upgrade my turntable

Postby Jprod » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:33 am

Hello. First time poster. I currently have a marantz tt15s1 with a graham slee accession phono preamp. This in turn feeds into a parasound p5 preamp and a parasound a21 amp. I mainly listen to classic rock and blues with some jazz and very little classical. Is the prime scout enough of an upgrade or should I go with the prime?
Thanks
Jprod

Re: Help me upgrade my turntable

Postby Brf » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:33 am

The Prime is the "sweat spot" in the VPI line up for best value to performance table (IMHO). I have not personally heard your table but I would encourage you to audition the Prime because in the end, it's your opinion that matters.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby spinblackcircle » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:01 pm

Jprod wrote:Hello. First time poster. I currently have a marantz tt15s1 with a graham slee accession phono preamp. This in turn feeds into a parasound p5 preamp and a parasound a21 amp. I mainly listen to classic rock and blues with some jazz and very little classical. Is the prime scout enough of an upgrade or should I go with the prime?
Thanks

I went from a TT15 to a Scout, then Classic and now to Prime. Skip the incremental upgrades and go to a Prime if you can.

For not much more than a Prime Scout, you could grab a Certified Pre Owned Prime from Sound Stage Direct or talk to them about a trade-in on your TT15.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby jonathanb » Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:05 pm

This used Prime, asking price: $2800, may still be available: http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6493 ... turntable/
jonathanb

Postby Jprod » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:01 pm

Thanks for all the responses
Jprod

Postby Jprod » Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:07 am

Well I pulled the trigger on the prime. Can't wait to get it. Now to try to explain this to my wife ....
Jprod

Postby Dorian » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:58 pm

Brf wrote:The Prime is the "sweat spot" in the VPI line up...

Setting it up is certainly a sweaty job.... :lol:
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:59 pm

Jprod wrote:Well I pulled the trigger on the prime. Can't wait to get it. Now to try to explain this to my wife ....

Congrats! You won't be disappointed.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Follow the Prime setup video on the VPI website. It makes things much easier. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby baddog » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:02 am

Jprod wrote:Well I pulled the trigger on the prime. Can't wait to get it. Now to try to explain this to my wife ....

Yeah, let us know how that goes.... :shock:
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Next

Return to Future VPI Owners