Hello, new VPI Prime owner here....

Hello, new VPI Prime owner here....

Postby M2-Pilot » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:49 pm

Just wanted to take a minute and say hello to everyone here. I've been perusing for a bit and will be actively engaging in the forum moving forward. I just purchased a new VPI Prime with a Ortofon cadenza bronze cartridge, and I'm waiting patiently to receive this beauty.

During the interim I'm looking to purchase a second tonearm and cartridge to spin my less than pristine vinyl. I did purchase a used Sumiko Blue Point special with a few hours on it and I'm looking at a VPI 10.5 gimbaled tone arm, before purchasing possibly someone could confirm this arm will work on the Prime with VTA base. My understanding is that it will.

Additionally I am looking for a good matching phono stage for the cadenza bronze. I have a Primaluna Prologue One running vintage Blackburn EL34's driving my Quad ESL57''s so the system is on the warm side to begin with. Any recommendations in the $1-2k price range would be great.

I currently have a Mytek Brooklyn with has a decent MC input so I'll use that to begin, if anyone has feedback on the Brooklyn, possibly would I need a SUT for gain or if it should be fine directly running the transducer through the MC input, any info would be appreciated.

Looking forward to an engaging delve back into analog,

Joe
M2-Pilot
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Re: Hello, new VPI Prime owner here....

Postby spinblackcircle » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:45 pm

M2-Pilot wrote:Just wanted to take a minute and say hello to everyone here. I've been perusing for a bit and will be actively engaging in the forum moving forward. I just purchased a new VPI Prime with a Ortofon cadenza bronze cartridge, and I'm waiting patiently to receive this beauty.

During the interim I'm looking to purchase a second tonearm and cartridge to spin my less than pristine vinyl. I did purchase a used Sumiko Blue Point special with a few hours on it and I'm looking at a VPI 10.5 gimbaled tone arm, before purchasing possibly someone could confirm this arm will work on the Prime with VTA base. My understanding is that it will.

Additionally I am looking for a good matching phono stage for the cadenza bronze. I have a Primaluna Prologue One running vintage Blackburn EL34's driving my Quad ESL57''s so the system is on the warm side to begin with. Any recommendations in the $1-2k price range would be great.

I currently have a Mytek Brooklyn with has a decent MC input so I'll use that to begin, if anyone has feedback on the Brooklyn, possibly would I need a SUT for gain or if it should be fine directly running the transducer through the MC input, any info would be appreciated.

Looking forward to an engaging delve back into analog,

Joe


Welcome to family! The gimbaled arm will work with the VTA base but it would not be an easy swap when you wanted to change. You would have to remove the spike for the unipivot arm and screw in the gimbaled arm in it's place. You really just need to find a 10.5 armwand. Used they tend to sell for 450-600 and new they are 1K. Swaping arm wands takes just a few seconds, you will most likely also have to adjust the VTA since the cartridge height will be different.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
User avatar
spinblackcircle
Senior Member
 
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:09 pm
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Hello, new VPI Prime owner here....

Postby M2-Pilot » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Thank you spinblacjcircle! I appreciate the welcome and the great advice on the armwand, I'll start my search for a used one.
M2-Pilot
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Re: Hello, new VPI Prime owner here....

Postby adeep42 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:44 pm

Prime plus Cadenza bronze. Great pairing. I know you'll enjoy them!
Prime #631
Symposium Footer Damping Inserts
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
Cambridge Audio 752BD
User avatar
adeep42
Senior Member
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:29 am
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Re: Hello, new VPI Prime owner here....

Postby M2-Pilot » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:03 am

adeep42 wrote:Prime plus Cadenza bronze. Great pairing. I know you'll enjoy them!


Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm trying to be patient... lots of great feedback here on Soundstage Direct so I'm confident they are hard at work filling my order :D
M2-Pilot
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Re: Hello, new VPI Prime owner here....

Postby JMT » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:43 pm

M2-Pilot wrote:
adeep42 wrote:Prime plus Cadenza bronze. Great pairing. I know you'll enjoy them!


Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm trying to be patient... lots of great feedback here on Soundstage Direct so I'm confident they are hard at work filling my order :D


I too am a new Prime owner, upgrading from a Classic that I have had for a little over a year. Seth and his team at SSD have been great replying to my emails. I am at the two week mark since I placed my order so I am confident my table will be shipping soon. I'll be using a Lyra Delos cartridge with a Shelter 501 MK III as an alternate.

It is soooo difficult to be patient, I wish you strength. :D
JMT
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:03 pm

Re: Hello, new VPI Prime owner here....

Postby MOON » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Congratulations,

You may want to consider the aftermarket internal footer dampers from www.symposiumusa.com which replace the stock internal vpi damper. It's a 10 minute job to switch them out. I recently bought a mint protractor specific for the Prime tt and 3d arm. This made a massive sound difference.

Enjoy that new Prime!!
Prime 152, symposium inserts, Lyra Kloes, Stillpoints LPI, HRS platform, Funk Firm Achromat,, Simaudio 610 lp Evolution phono stage & P -7 pre, W -5 LE amp, Audience Adept Response R 12 conditioner, Martin Logan Odyssey's & Depth I subs
MOON
Senior Member
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: Hello, new VPI Prime owner here....

Postby M2-Pilot » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:04 am

JMT wrote:
M2-Pilot wrote:
adeep42 wrote:Prime plus Cadenza bronze. Great pairing. I know you'll enjoy them!


Thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm trying to be patient... lots of great feedback here on Soundstage Direct so I'm confident they are hard at work filling my order :D


I too am a new Prime owner, upgrading from a Classic that I have had for a little over a year. Seth and his team at SSD have been great replying to my emails. I am at the two week mark since I placed my order so I am confident my table will be shipping soon. I'll be using a Lyra Delos cartridge with a Shelter 501 MK III as an alternate.

It is soooo difficult to be patient, I wish you strength. :D


Still waiting patiently, I purchased a used Lyra Delos and I'm still looking for a spare Armwand. A picture of my lonely room awaiting the Prime, Lehmann Decade, Cadeza Bronze setup....
Attachments
IMG_6902.JPG
IMG_6902.JPG (69.21 KiB) Viewed 710 times
M2-Pilot
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Re: Hello, new VPI Prime owner here....

Postby Brf » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:43 am

You will love the Prime. I see you have the Ginko ball platform, I would recommend trying your table without the Ginko, you may just like the results better.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 2932
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Hello, new VPI Prime owner here....

Postby M2-Pilot » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:42 pm

Brf wrote:You will love the Prime. I see you have the Ginko ball platform, I would recommend trying your table without the Ginko, you may just like the results better.


I purchased a 26"x19"x3" tiger maple platform from Timbernation to go on top of the the gingko platform, I will try it both with balls and without. Thanks for the advice, I want this system to sing and not be dead.
M2-Pilot
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:19 pm

Next

Return to Future VPI Owners

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

x