Just ordered 2017 Scout Prime

Just ordered 2017 Scout Prime

Postby Spsesq » Sat May 06, 2017 1:20 am

Hi. I just ordered the Scout Prime 2017 model. I am excited and can't wait to set it up. I have a couple questions before it gets here:
1) how accurate is the motor speed constancy wise?
2)'I'd like a speed box to regulate speed and easily switch from 33 1/3 and 45--which one to get? Do I need it?
3) I read on the forum that a mat is not necessary on the aluminum platter. Will the naked platter damage my albums?

Thanks
Spsesq

Re: Just ordered 2017 Scout Prime

Postby tom collins » Sat May 06, 2017 9:19 am

my advice as one who has been using turntables for a long time is to do nothing for at least 6 months, except the mat if you want. the reason is that everything takes time to work in from the wiring to the belt. the most bang for the buck will come if you study set up procedures and get everything aligned and azimuth adjusted. if you are lucky enough to know someone who lives near you and can help, that is better. not rocket science, but if this is your first uni-pivot, help is a good thing.

because you are getting a scout, i presume budget needs to be a concern for you (not dissing the scout, an excellent table). by following this suggestion, you can find where the greatest improvement would be and pursue that first.

hope this helps.
TNT6HR, rim drive, superplat, outer ring + center weight, 12.0 arm, base and 12.7 armwand, SDS, SRA platform; Delos, Zu, Grado ME+ carts; Musical Surroundings Nova 2, custom SUT; Cary 30i prototype EL34 integrated amp; Devore Gibbon 8 speakers; PSB sub.
tom collins

Postby Orchids1 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:13 pm

Spsesq, I agree with Tom. However, the speed accuracy and consistency of VPI turntables, generally, are very good. Many people do not feel the need for a speed controller, although this largely depends on the quality of the power received by the motor. At some point, check the platter's rotational speed with a strobe disc. If you think you would benefit from a speed controller, I'd recommend a used VPI SDS. Most people prefer to use the metal platter without a mat unless there are static issues. It will not damage your records. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Spsesq » Sat May 06, 2017 3:37 pm

Thanks for the reply. I actually toured the VPI facility and met with Mat about which turntable I should get based on my room size, my experience and my system. Mat was absolutely great and suggested all I needed was the Scout which I could upgrade parts later if I really needed it. He never once tried to up sell to me and I appreciated that he's a real honest guy. . I am coming concerned about the power issue as I live in New and I don't know if my power is constant 60hz.
I will take your advice monitor the speed issue and wait 6 months to see what I would or would not need or the sds or ads unit. As for the platter I may dive into the research but if it's safe to play records directly on the aluminum surface then I'll see how that sounds first. Thanks again n for the excellent advice. Steve
Spsesq

Postby Brf » Sat May 06, 2017 4:01 pm

The frequency of the North American power supply is one of the most regulated and monitored aspects of the power grid. I wouldn't be too concerned about frequency shifts. Just sit back and enjoy your Scout, it's a great table.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby 22243crow » Sun May 07, 2017 8:00 am

Ive had my new Prime Scout for about a week and I love this table . No issues what soever, all you need is a quality cartridge and you'll be in vinyl nirvana . My sales rep-tech Victor at Audio Solutions recommend no mat on platter when in use and this guy knows his stuff. Anyone in Indy area in need of audio equipment look to these folks , their Great!!!!!
22243crow

Postby Spsesq » Sun May 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Thanks for all the replies. Based on this and other threads I have decided the following:

1) initially no speed box until at least six months out to let the motor and belt work in;

2) initially play the records directly on the aluminum platter and use the supplied VPI mat as a dust cover. I will listen for a few months in my music room to see how the sound is and decide later;

3) I will not buy a dust cover. I'll keep the platter pad to keep dust off the platter, use an air can and swifter to lightly dust off the plinth like I do for my amp and speakers;

4) I am mounting an Ortofon 2M Black on the Scout Prime; This combination should sound amazing...

5) spend the saved money on excellent pressing of albums!

Steve
Spsesq

Postby Dorian » Sun May 07, 2017 5:17 pm

Spsesq wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Based on this and other threads I have decided the following:

1) initially no speed box until at least six months out to let the motor and belt work in;

2) initially play the records directly on the aluminum platter and use the supplied VPI mat as a dust cover. I will listen for a few months in my music room to see how the sound is and decide later;

3) I will not buy a dust cover. I'll keep the platter pad to keep dust off the platter, use an air can and swifter to lightly dust off the plinth like I do for my amp and speakers;

4) I am mounting an Ortofon 2M Black on the Scout Prime; This combination should sound amazing...

5) spend the saved money on excellent pressing of albums!

Steve

Agreed with all this but I would add two more things to maximize the performance of what you are buying, both related to cartridge setup:

1. Get a Mint LP Best Tractor from Yip in Hong Kong, to setup cart overhang and zenith

2. Get the Dr Feikert Adjust+ software to setup cart azimuth
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby soundwatts » Sun May 07, 2017 10:52 pm

I have been using this table since January. 2 of my friends that have heard it have purchased ones for themselves. The setup and alignment of the the cartridge is very important. If this is done right, the turntable is articulate has a beautiful sense of dynamics and is so musical that I have not played a CD since it has graced my system. I did end up getting a new phono stage a couple of weeks ago so that I can get all the detail this table is giving me. All I can say is wow.
New Prime Scout 2017
Koetsu Black Goldline
Conrad Johnson PV9a
Conrad Johnson MV55
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
JM Lab Daline 3.1
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby Spsesq » Mon May 08, 2017 4:43 pm

Hi Guys:

I was wondering if someone can explain something to me on the Scout Prime. As you look at the Scout Prime tonearm I see that the VTA is adjusted by loosening a screw on the base and then turning the VTA ring to either raise or lower the back of the tone arm. I also understand the tracing force is manipulated via the counterweight forward and backward on the back of the arm. But my question is the two silver knobs on either side of the pivot cup (female cup that inserts over the male bearing) What are those two knobs for? Do they have a function or are they simply weights to balance the arm on the pivot point. If they are indeed simply weights, how do you adjust azimuth so the cartridge is perfectly parallel to the record surface?

Sorry if this is a newbie question...but I am a newbie and I am trying to figure all this out before I get the turntable delivered so I can set it up when it arrives.
Thanks,
Steve
Spsesq

Next

Return to Future VPI Owners