Just ordered 2017 Scout Prime

Re: Just ordered 2017 Scout Prime

Postby kalaur » Mon May 08, 2017 8:07 pm

Spsesq wrote:Hi Guys:

I was wondering if someone can explain something to me on the Scout Prime. As you look at the Scout Prime tonearm I see that the VTA is adjusted by loosening a screw on the base and then turning the VTA ring to either raise or lower the back of the tone arm. I also understand the tracing force is manipulated via the counterweight forward and backward on the back of the arm. But my question is the two silver knobs on either side of the pivot cup (female cup that inserts over the male bearing) What are those two knobs for? Do they have a function or are they simply weights to balance the arm on the pivot point. If they are indeed simply weights, how do you adjust azimuth so the cartridge is perfectly parallel to the record surface?

Sorry if this is a newbie question...but I am a newbie and I am trying to figure all this out before I get the turntable delivered so I can set it up when it arrives.
Thanks,
Steve

The two weights on the bottom of the arm at the pivot point do screw in and out a bit, so you can use this for fine tuning of the azimuth. You can get azimuth close by rotating the couterweight one way or the other, but then fine tune with the smaller side weights.

Soundsmith also makes a 'counter intuitive' add on weight that fits over the main counterweight. This is a small almost circle piece of delrin with some brass weights on the bottom. This can be slid overtop of the counterweight to obtain small changes in azimuth or tracking force without needing to loosen and move the main counterweight. https://www.sound-smith.com/accessories/counter-intuitive-vpi-tone-arms
Not necessarily a 'must have' item, but makes for easy small (-.3 to +.3 grams) of tracking force without needing to worry about throwing off your azimuth adjustment.
kalaur

Postby Spsesq » Mon May 08, 2017 11:36 pm

Thank you so much! Now I get it. The manual doesn't really explain that very clearly.
Steve
Spsesq

Postby Spsesq » Thu May 25, 2017 5:01 pm

Wow! All I can say is that it was worth the wait for the turntable!

Let me first thank Seth at Soundstage Direct for running the trade in program so I could get this awesome table. Next, and most sincerely I thank Matt Weisfeld at VPI. I live only 5 miles from the VPI facility and now twice, Matt took time from his busy day to meet me and show me the facility. This time it was for me to pick up my Prime Scout in person and they installed the cartridge and aligned the tone arm. I am a VPI guy now for life! Thank you Matt and the VPI staff who did the work and showed us around...

First I have to say what a difference this turntable makes! I had a ProJect Debut Carbon Esprit. Now I now that the difference is between a Toyota and a Maserati but if you have been driving a Toyota for a long time and can finally uograde, we'll you know what the difference is. My set is now complete. I am now running my Prime Scout with an Ortofon 2M Black. My system is the Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum, KEF LS50 speakers (coincidentally the very same speakers VPI has in their facility hooked up to their test turntables). So the match is perfect. I honestly can say I am hearing things in the soundstage I did not hear with the ProJect even running the 2M Black. For instance the soundstage is cleaner, more separated. I played Genesis-Trick of the Tail. A Firth of Fifth. The instruments placement are distinct, seperate and the vocals so clear as if Peter Gabriel is present in the room. The difference is astounding. When I played Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, the opening clarinet, which I am extremely familiar with sounded cleaner, and the piano solos were sounded as if the hammers were hitting the strings in my listening room. The 2M Black being perfectly balanced and aligned is picking up every bit of information from the groove and the separation within the soundstage is impeccable. Thanks for taking the time to install and align this Tom!

Again I want to thank Seth at Soundstage, Brf here on the forums for answering all my questions as I was waiting for the table, Mark, Tom, the staff at VPI and especially Matt. I wish VPI continued success because their product is truly worth every penny and I will be recommending VPI to everyone who will listen...
Steve
VPI 2017 Prime Scout
Ortofon 2M Black
Eagle PSU/Roadrunner tachometer
Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum II Amp.
BlueSound Vault
Harmon Kardan TD262 tape deck
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD/CD player
Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp
KEF LS50 speakers
Grado RS1e Headphones
Spsesq

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Thu May 25, 2017 5:17 pm

Congratulations Steve...You have done business with some of the best guys in the audio Industry. In my experience Seth, Mat and Harry all deserve 5 Stars :D for their superb customer support. You have a nice setup and should enjoy it very much...
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Dorian » Thu May 25, 2017 5:37 pm

Congrats Steve. At the risk of driving you insane, I am assuming that VPI did a fairly 'basic' setup of the cart. If you want a lot more performance out of the 2M Black, I recommend the following when you are ready:

* Set overhang and zenith using a Mint LP Best Tractor
* Set azimuth using Dr Feikert Adjust+ software
* Set SRA using a USB microscope
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Spsesq » Thu May 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Dorian
Thanks for the advise. I will look into all these tweeks!

Steve
VPI 2017 Prime Scout
Ortofon 2M Black
Eagle PSU/Roadrunner tachometer
Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum II Amp.
BlueSound Vault
Harmon Kardan TD262 tape deck
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD/CD player
Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp
KEF LS50 speakers
Grado RS1e Headphones
Spsesq