Scout or Prime?

Scout or Prime?

Postby Janunn » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:27 pm

Can't decide between the two. Ease of set up is important to me. Thinking Scout with a Soundsmith Zypher II cart and upgrading to a Prime platter instead of the Prime. If you got to choose one upgrade what would you do?
Janunn

Re: Scout or Prime?

Postby Brf » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 am

Both tables require the same attention to set up (which is fairly easy). The Prime represents VPI's best buy IMHO.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:51 am

Brf's opinion as to value is shared by many, if not virtually all, reviewers. The consensus is the Prime's performance would justify a much higher price. It's included on most everyone's "highly recommended" list. The Scout is also well reviewed, and I liked mine a lot, especially with the addition of a Classic platter. However, it's thought by most to be in a different performance category, although the differences are not oceanic. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Dorian » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:55 am

Prime. :D
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby adeep42 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:15 am

Like Orchids1, I loved my Scout. I was going to upgrade with a Classic platter and 300 Rpm motor. For a very small additional cost, I was able to trade in the Scout for a Prime. Was a no-brainer. 10" 3D arm and VTF on the fly basically for free. Sonically a huge improvement.

Thank you Seth at Soundstage.
Prime #631
Symposium Footer Damping Inserts
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
Cambridge Audio 752BD
adeep42

Postby Janunn » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks for the input. VPI Prime it is! Ordered today and there is no looking back. Soundsmith Zephyr cart as well. Dealer is setting it up. In the game now!
Janunn

Postby DeeCee » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:07 pm

Definitely Prime; I only got the Scout 2 due to size constraints.
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby Dorian » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:36 am

Janunn wrote:Thanks for the input. VPI Prime it is! Ordered today and there is no looking back. Soundsmith Zephyr cart as well. Dealer is setting it up. In the game now!

Congrats! You won't be disappointed.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Dorian » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:57 am

I will say that learning to setup a table and cart myself has taken my enjoyment of the hobby to a whole other level. Especially being as focused on attention to detail as I am, knowing that the table is truly set up as well as it can be allows me to relax and enjoy the music. I recommend learning to do it yourself at some point.
Dorian

Postby Janunn » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:05 am

Thanks for the suggestions. Glad I went with the VPI Prime. Part of this hobby is learning and I intend to spend some time with my new TT. This forum is great and I'm sure will be a good resource as I join the VPI community.
Janunn

Next

Return to Future VPI Owners