Scout or Prime?

Re: Scout or Prime?

Postby Janunn » Wed May 03, 2017 12:23 am

Any suggestions on phono cables? Soundsmith Zephyr MC cartridge going to a McIntosh MAC 6700 amp. What are some good phono cables at a reasonable price?
Janunn

Postby spinblackcircle » Wed May 03, 2017 10:21 am

Janunn wrote:Any suggestions on phono cables? Soundsmith Zephyr MC cartridge going to a McIntosh MAC 6700 amp. What are some good phono cables at a reasonable price?

Lots of threads here about cables. The Audio Sensibility phono cables are very popular and so is the VPI cable. Personally I've had the entry AS Impact, AS Statement, VPI Cable and Audio Art IC3SE. The AS Impact is VERY similar to the VPI Cable in it's sound signature, maybe a bit warmer.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Spsesq » Thu May 11, 2017 1:37 pm

Regarding the Scout Prime..Can anyone advise me as to whether am I able to upgrade the arm to a VTA on the fly arm or do I have to upgrade the platter too? If i decide not to upgrade the arm to a VTA on the fly arm, can i simply have it upgraded to a second pivot point arm to eliminate the purported arm wobble when lowering the tone arm to lay a record? The tone arm is really the only upgrade I would want to do on this table.
I really like the idea of VTA on the fly, espcially if I experiment in order to use a mat or play the albium directly on the aluminum platter, if I decide to buy a 180 G or 200 gram album v. a regular album, etc.

Thanks
Steve
VPI 2017 Prime Scout
Ortofon 2M Black
Eagle PSU/Roadrunner tachometer
Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum II Amp.
BlueSound Vault
Harmon Kardan TD262 tape deck
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD/CD player
Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp
KEF LS50 speakers
Grado RS1e Headphones
Spsesq

Postby Brf » Thu May 11, 2017 1:46 pm

Spsesq wrote:Regarding the Scout Prime..Can anyone advise me as to whether am I able to upgrade the arm to a VTA on the fly arm or do I have to upgrade the platter too? If i decide not to upgrade the arm to a VTA on the fly arm, can i simply have it upgraded to a second pivot point arm to eliminate the purported arm wobble when lowering the tone arm to lay a record? The tone arm is really the only upgrade I would want to do on this table.
I really like the idea of VTA on the fly, espcially if I experiment in order to use a mat or play the albium directly on the aluminum platter, if I decide to buy a 180 G or 200 gram album v. a regular album, etc.

Thanks
Steve

Yes, you can update to VTA on the fly without the need to upgrade the platter.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Spsesq » Thu May 11, 2017 6:01 pm

Great! Thank you now I just need to sneak in the arm before my wife see it.... :lol:
Oh by the way, do I need to just get the VTA base and install it and use the 9inch arm that came with the Scout Prime or must I trade in the JMW 9 and upgrade everything to the VTA 10 inch tone arm? From the pictures it looks like a could just upgrade the base which adds the VTA and use the original arm. Am I crazy or is it that easy?
VPI 2017 Prime Scout
Ortofon 2M Black
Eagle PSU/Roadrunner tachometer
Rogue Audio Cronos Magnum II Amp.
BlueSound Vault
Harmon Kardan TD262 tape deck
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD/CD player
Schiit Vali 2 headphone amp
KEF LS50 speakers
Grado RS1e Headphones
Spsesq

Previous