Isolation Platform

Isolation Platform

Postby drewvandal » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:59 am

Hi Everyone - I am proud to say that I recently purchased a VPI Scout 1.1 with a 2M Bronze last week and it should be arriving at my door tomorrow. I am very excited as this is something I have been looking at for some time now.

With that being said I need to get an isolation platform but funds are limited. I would eventually love to get a Ginkgo Cloud but for the time being can anyone recommend something a bit more cost effective for the immediate future?

I appreciate your help and look forward to being on this board more often.

Best,
Drew
drewvandal

Re: Isolation Platform

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:59 pm

Drew, Run a search on recommended isolation devices on the Forum. There are quite a few. The recommendations range from virtually free diy devices to platforms that cost $2,000 and up. A very popular combinatition is a 2" to 3" wooden platform or cutting board (most often Maple) with isolation footers between the platform and the shelf or whatever else the platform sits on. Depending on the type of wooden platform used, the cost of this arrangement starts at about $100. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:16 am

The famous "Dawn's Depot" cutting boards are also available from Overstock.com. You can usually find a 15-17% coupon if you poke around a bit.

Shipped to your door for around 60-65 for the 20x15. You could then grab 2"x2" rubber/cork anti-vibration pads for feet. They are just over $1 plus shipping from PexSupply.

If you ever want to upgrade to a more expensive platform, then you have a decent cutting board for the kitchen.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby zephead68 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Orchids1 wrote:Drew, Run a search on recommended isolation devices on the Forum. There are quite a few. The recommendations range from virtually free diy devices to platforms that cost $2,000 and up. A very popular combinatition is a 2" to 3" wooden platform or cutting board (most often Maple) with isolation footers between the platform and the shelf or whatever else the platform sits on. Depending on the type of wooden platform used, the cost of this arrangement starts at about $100. Rich

I found a 20" X 15" X 1.75" maple cutting board on amazon for $44 and Isolate IT Sorbothane vibration pads (.25" X 2.25") for $18.90. Total of $62.90. I haven't tried the setup yet because I am waiting for delivery.
Scout Jr. /HR-X Weight / Ortofon 2M Red / Ortofon 6NX TSW-1010 R / Yamaha RX-A850 / Phase Technology T7's Front/ Bose 161 Bookshelf Surround / Klipsch Synergy S-20 Rear Surround / Klipsch Synergy C-20 Center / SVS SB-1000 - 12", 300 Watt Subwoofer
zephead68

Postby drewvandal » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:21 pm

zephead68 wrote:
Orchids1 wrote:Drew, Run a search on recommended isolation devices on the Forum. There are quite a few. The recommendations range from virtually free diy devices to platforms that cost $2,000 and up. A very popular combinatition is a 2" to 3" wooden platform or cutting board (most often Maple) with isolation footers between the platform and the shelf or whatever else the platform sits on. Depending on the type of wooden platform used, the cost of this arrangement starts at about $100. Rich

I found a 20" X 15" X 1.75" maple cutting board on amazon for $44 and Isolate IT Sorbothane vibration pads (.25" X 2.25") for $18.90. Total of $62.90. I haven't tried the setup yet because I am waiting for delivery.

Would you mind sharing that Amazon link?
drewvandal

Postby madrac » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:56 pm

searched Amazon based on the description (and price for the cutting board). think these are the items.

https://www.amazon.com/Isolate-Sorbotha ... ation+pads

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... ting+board

I've been looking into vibration platforms, as well. haven't purchased a platform yet, but seems rubber / sorbothane is not recommended. Did order the Symposium inserts to try. should be here next week
madrac

Postby zephead68 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:07 am

drewvandal wrote:
zephead68 wrote:

Would you mind sharing that Amazon link?

here it is...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003N ... UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042 ... UTF8&psc=1
Scout Jr. /HR-X Weight / Ortofon 2M Red / Ortofon 6NX TSW-1010 R / Yamaha RX-A850 / Phase Technology T7's Front/ Bose 161 Bookshelf Surround / Klipsch Synergy S-20 Rear Surround / Klipsch Synergy C-20 Center / SVS SB-1000 - 12", 300 Watt Subwoofer
zephead68

Postby Packgrog » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:22 am

I would really recommend checking with Herbie's Audio Lab for ideas, especially in lieu of sorbothane. I used some Sorbothane hemispheres a while back and they were awful for sound quality. They're good for damping (and I may use those linked pucks for quieting down a different piece of equipment, thanks for that), but not good for helping a turntable sing. Grungebuster dots work FAR better than Sorbothane for controlled damping. Steve had made many recommendations to me, and it wasn't until I followed his recommendations in full that I got better results.

Also, his "Medicinballs" are a great replacement for the squash balls in Gingko platforms.
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby zephead68 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:54 pm

I put a glass of wine on my scout Jr while playing The Black Crowes and I didn't see any movement/ripples.
zephead68

Postby audiom3 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:11 pm

I see (or hear) no reason to upgrade from a DIY 3" Maple block. I use these under each corner http://www.supplyhouse.com/DiversiTech- ... -x-2-x-7-8.

I stack mine 3x high. But there was no audible difference from having them 2x high. I merely did a stack of 3x so I could squeeze my phono preamp under the Maple Block.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Benz Micro Wood SL
audiom3

Next

Return to Future VPI Owners