Scout Jr. / Player tonearm question

Scout Jr. / Player tonearm question

Postby CharlesC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:53 pm

Hello,
I plan to upgrade from my current Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC turntable. I would like to go with either a Scout Jr., a Rega P3 or a Rega RP6. I already own a 2M Bronze cartridge which I like a lot and I consider that a plus for the Scout Jr. Anyway, I have just spent some time reading the Analog Planet review of the Shinola Runwell turntable ( http://www.analogplanet.com/content/shinolas-plugplay-runwell-turntable#vMYwL3LEdwQH8TfP.97 ) where Fremer levels some pretty serious criticism against the Runwell's tonearm. This, of course, is the same tonearm used on both the Scout Jr. and the Player so I'm a little concerned about this.

Does anyone care to address this from VPIs point of view?

Thanks!
CharlesC

Re: Scout Jr. / Player tonearm question

Postby xxDRBxx » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Interested as well as someone that is making my first investment into VPI...

I don't know a damn thing to help answer my our question, but look forward to hearing those that do know comment
xxDRBxx

Postby Packgrog » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:20 pm

There was also some discussion in the comments that it may have simply been a manufacturing flaw for that specific demo model, and they're looking at it right now. On the Players that I've tried, the arm seemed pretty smooth, so likely it was just a problem with that demo model.
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby Mat » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:24 pm

I would love to! :)

Yes we saw and read the review and it looks like it was a lubrication issue from what my technician Jan evaluated. Some of the early tables coming out of Detroit (early early) weren't properly lubed up. Fremer's sample came from the original batch. When we got the Runwell back in for evaluation we took it out, lubed it up and played it without any problem from the tonearm. If the arm had no lube, and it was cold (I know Michael does his reviews in his basement) than there is a chance that is what caused the problem he was having.

Also if anyone is on facebook I'm going to do a live stream of me taking a Player tonearm and hitting it against a table. Jan might crap himself since he will be getting no warning. :D
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby CharlesC » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:11 pm

Thanks, Mat, for taking the effort to respond. I do like the simplicity of the Scout Jr. and hope to get my hands on one soon. I think my 2M Bronze will like it too.
CharlesC

Return to Future VPI Owners