Music Direct won't sell me a VPI! Guess why?!?!?!?!?!

Music Direct won't sell me a VPI! Guess why?!?!?!?!?!

Postby phb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:35 pm

I am trying to buy a VPI product through Music Direct, but they are not willing to sell me because I am an international customer. (?!?!?!?!) Yes, you read that right. They are claiming “that due to international distributor agreements and territorial restrictions with VPI, we CANNOT sell VPI to international customers, even if it is shipping to a US address. We are sorry, but VPI is very strict about this and it is not negotiable.”

Since when this kind of discriminatory practice became a corporate policy?! I am a legal resident in the U.S. but I am unable to buy a VPI product because I am an “international customer”!??!?!?! The shipping address is in the U.S., so what’s up with that?! Even if I was a tourist visiting the U.S., this practice goes against all antitrust laws currently in place in the U.S.! You cannot deny any sell to any one based on any subjective or objective standard if the customer is willing to pay the price being asked for. If U.S. citizen John can buy a VPI product from Music Direct, so can Noah, (a citizen from Mongolia who is currently in the U.S., no matter if living or visiting, and no matter if his billing address is in Mongolia or Uruguay. The only exception would be if I would be applying for a loan (credit).

I usually work with another dealer and I have never had this problem with them (same shipping address, same method of payment). I am only trying to buy it from Music Direct because they have it in stock and I am not willing to wait 2 more weeks.

I really hope this is a mistake from Music Direct. Clarifications would be welcome.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Man, I am so upset!!!!
phb

Re: Music Direct won't sell me a VPI! Guess why?!?!?!?!?!

Postby Brf » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Will the unit be consumed outside of the USA? In other words, will the unit be shipped to the US address and then forwarded outside of the USA?

As an aside, how do they know that you are an International customer??

Many audio manufactures go to a great deal of expense and effort to establish dealer networks around the globe which often results in different levels of service and expectation from the distributor, which ultimately translates into different MSRP by country/region. For dealer networks to survive, audio manufactures must establish rules to protect one's distribution territory and channel.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby 10ovr » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:09 pm

Brf wrote:Will the unit be consumed outside of the USA? In other words, will the unit be shipped to the US address and then forwarded outside of the USA?

Many audio manufactures go to a great deal of expense and effort to establish dealer networks around the globe which often results in different levels of service and expectation from the distributor, which ultimately translates into different MSRP by country/region. For dealer networks to survive, audio manufactures must establish rules to protect one's distribution territory and channel.

Because his billing address on his card is out of the USA ??Most credit cards offer cash advance ,,Higher rate but if you can pay it off who cares,,,
10ovr

Postby phb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:23 pm

10ovr wrote:
Brf wrote:Will the unit be consumed outside of the USA? In other words, will the unit be shipped to the US address and then forwarded outside of the USA?

Because his billing address on his card is out of the USA ??Most credit cards offer cash advance ,,Higher rate but if you can pay it off who cares,,,

Exactly, my billing address. Also, although the product will remains will stay in the US, what I will do with the product I purchase is none of the dealer's or VPI's concern. If in one year I decide to take it with me to Russia and sell it there, I can do it (given I pay the import taxes on it).

And although I understand your rationale on maintaining local dealers in the game, it is still illegal to deny selling a product for an "international customer" who is currently in the US solely based on the fact he/she is a foreigner.
phb

Postby Packgrog » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:37 pm

It's not illegal, it's just annoying. Distributors have regionally-limited agreements. Buying something directly from VPI would be a different story.

You could also set up a domestic payment method and not have to worry about it. Or, again, try a different seller that isn't contractually limited on which nations the can sell to.
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby 930turbo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:47 pm

I I hope this policy is for VPI products only, I hope they're not strict regarding selling Vinyl LP's and Accesories . Because I myself am from overseas , but I order these thing from their competitor also based in Chicago ( Music Direct ) . Package that I buy from the USA eg. by parts for my cars , loudspeakers , big LCD TV's , records lp are all sent / directed to my freight forwarder there in the USA . Billing was settled via my Credit Card w/ the billing address here in my country . Have not encountered that policy yet. If your dead set in getting the VPI table from them why dont you ask a friend whose ( CC 's billing address is in the USA )to settle it via his/ her credit card in your behalf and have it shipped to your freight forwarder's address, then pay him/her ?

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Packgrog » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Yes, in this case, I would expect it to be a limitation on who Music Direct may sell to due to their agreement with VPI (there may be a distributor in your home country that could sell to you that could not sell to someone from the States, etc.). Michell Engineering has a similar agreement that I found exceedingly annoying, as imported parts like the HR Power Supply are obnoxiously overpriced at US distributors given current exchange rates, but you're not allowed to purchase direct from the UK due to Michell's distribution (and SUPPORT) agreements. It's kind of surprising that Music Direct is placing the limitation on billing address instead of shipping address, but perhaps they've been burned before. *shrug*
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby JimTimP » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:59 pm

Call Sound Stage Direct.

I've stopped dealing with Music Direct for multiple reasons.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, JTP Cables
JimTimP

Postby gene9p » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:32 pm

got my table from elusivedisc.com..they do international deliveries and sales

http://www.elusivedisc.com/privacy.asp
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:16 am

phb wrote:
Exactly, my billing address. Also, although the product will remains will stay in the US, what I will do with the product I purchase is none of the dealer's or VPI's concern. If in one year I decide to take it with me to Russia and sell it there, I can do it (given I pay the import taxes on it).

And although I understand your rationale on maintaining local dealers in the game, it is still illegal to deny selling a product for an "international customer" who is currently in the US solely based on the fact he/she is a foreigner.

There are two issues. Distribution territories and sale tax. Generally, no refund of sales tax is available if you took possession of the item form the vendor with a given state. If however, you have the vendor ship the item to you outside the state, the sales tax generally will not apply. In order for the vendor to both manage distribution channels and sales tax, proof of residency must be obtained. A US mailing address is not a proof of residency unless you can attach your name to that address that satisfies one of the criterion in the list of acceptable residence verification documents. A credit card address is on the list of acceptable residence verification documents, therefore, vendors will use that address for sales tax assessment and distribution channel enforcement.

As you have mentioned, you can always shop in person but you will need to pay the sales tax. It is not illegal for vendors to ship outside their territory, but they could forfeit their distribution rights for said products if they are found in breach of their distribution agreement.
Brf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Future VPI Owners