Brand new to Vinyl and looking for my first turntable.

Re: Brand new to Vinyl and looking for my first turntable.

Postby Packgrog » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:23 pm

I'm not sure that SSD is still doing the 100% trade-in value thing anymore, but still worth asking.

One key concern should definitely be what your overall budget would be, including phono preamp and headphone preamp. The U-Turn Orbit is a decent low-price option as well, which can include a decent starter phono preamp but no headphone amp. The original Nomad would probably still outperform the newest Orbit, though I have not done a direct comparison. The Player would DEFINITELY outclass the Orbit, but you'd be looking at 3 times the price at that point.

Having started my vinyl voyage with an old Rega P2, I can attest to the fact that it's a very nice, very fun budget deck, especially if you upgrade the cartridge from the Rega cart. Again, you still need phono preamp and headphone amp there, though. Regas also play fast, and while simply built, the upgrade path options get addictive quickly. I also am not a fan of the integrated grounding in their tonearm cables (I've always preferred separate ground wire).

I have no experience with Pro-Ject, but the impression I've gotten from the few mentions I've seen implies that they have more rumble issues than Regas or VPIs.

FWIW, I've used the Player with both the internal headphone amp and a budget external (iBasso D14). The external was quite a bit better than the internal (as it should have been), but that's also a testament to the quality of the other hardware of the Player. $1500 ain't cheap starting out, but I was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the sound it produced. Swapping the stylus for the 2m Blue probably would have shocked the hell out of me, given how much better that stylus is supposed to be over the Red. Yes, a new Player is more than twice the price of a NOS Nomad, but it's a much better deck. How much you'd need to do to a Planar 2 to push it past the performance of the Player, I couldn't say, but you might hit break-even point and still have to deal with more separate components.

If you opt away from the Nomad or Player, but still want to keep component count low, this could be a decent partner: http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=adgt40a

Hope that helps a little.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Wax » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:27 pm

Youre new to the hobby, go buy an entry level Rega RP1 $375 and a Ortofon 2m red $90 and keep it for a year and see how into you are after that ...

After that if you're really into it, flip it on CL and upgrade to a nicer table.
Last edited by Wax on Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
B&W 803 Matrix 2
Audio Research LS3
Classe' Audio CA 150
Nitty Gritty RCM
CAL Audio Icon mk II
Audio Alchemy Headphone Amp
Sennheiser HD580
Audioquest Cables
Wax

Postby Packgrog » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:29 pm

Wax wrote:Your new to the hobby, go buy a entry level Rega RP1 $375 and a Ortofon 2m red $90 and keep it for a year and see how into you are after that ...

He'd get the same or better performance from a stock Nomad, and not have to screw with alignment (PS: Rega default alignment sucks).
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby jonathanb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Packgrog wrote:
Wax wrote:Your new to the hobby, go buy a entry level Rega RP1 $375 and a Ortofon 2m red $90 and keep it for a year and see how into you are after that ...

He'd get the same or better performance from a stock Nomad, and not have to screw with alignment (PS: Rega default alignment sucks).

And he wouldn't need to buy a phono or headphone preamp either. I think the OP's dealer pointed him in the correct direction in the first place.
jonathanb

Postby Wax » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:58 pm

Packgrog wrote:

I've set a few budget Rega's up for son's friends with no issue, not all that difficult but I did fail to notice he could get the Nomad at a decent discount which nullified most of the savings specially if he can get them to work in a 2m Red cart. So that's probably a good move considering he'd save on a headphone amp as well.
B&W 803 Matrix 2
Audio Research LS3
Classe' Audio CA 150
Nitty Gritty RCM
CAL Audio Icon mk II
Audio Alchemy Headphone Amp
Sennheiser HD580
Audioquest Cables
Wax

Postby xxDRBxx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:57 pm

Well, after reading some reviews and reading your posts I want to actually go take a listen to a few tables. My preferences is leaning toward VPI (as like I said, I'm here for a reason). I really like the idea of the "Nomad" and the "Player" and I really like the idea that the "Player" is upgradable.

I like the idea of America made and I like the idea of the more "boutique" brand.

If we were to say compare the Nomad, the Player, and the Planar 2 on their merits as a turntable alone, would there be a reasonable difference one way or another?
xxDRBxx

Postby Packgrog » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Apples and Oranges. Rega is low mass and fast and simplified for mass production, and needs a wall bracket for best performance. Player is higher mass, less platform dependent, and has built-in extras and upgradable stylus on the provided cartridge. It's tough to judge the Player as "just a turntable", as the phono pre is a big advantage. Either will work fine for butterfingers. The Rega would be more upgradeable, but after all the upgrades would it perform as well as the Player with the same cartridge? Dunno. The Rega would have a lower cost of entry and more flexibility, while the Player doesn't really need much improvement and is more self contained and transportable. Two totally different approaches here. It's just a matter of what is most important to you. Both will sound great.
Packgrog

Postby JohnCh » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:11 pm

Packgrog wrote:I'm not sure that SSD is still doing the 100% trade-in value thing anymore, but still worth asking.

They still do: http://www.soundstagedirect.com/equipme ... plan.shtml

-John
VPI Classic Signature, VAS Nova Signature, CIAudio PEQ1 MKII w/AC15 MKII power supply, Oppo BDP-105, ModWright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition, CIAudio E200S, Magnepan 1.7i w/Mye stands, REL Strata III
JohnCh

Postby jonathanb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:56 pm

Here's a very good deal--$550 --on a lightly used Nomad with Ortofon 2M Red cartridge:
http://audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing ... art/168794
jonathanb

Postby xxDRBxx » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:44 am

Packgrog wrote:Apples and Oranges. Rega is low mass and fast and simplified for mass production, and needs a wall bracket for best performance. Player is higher mass, less platform dependent, and has built-in extras and upgradable stylus on the provided cartridge. It's tough to judge the Player as "just a turntable", as the phono pre is a big advantage.

In your opinion is the built in Phono pre in the Nomad or Player worth mentioning? Is is the equivalent of a $100 pre or a $500 pre or really just a novelty?

A stand, yes... I hadn't given that much thought. I don't want a wall bracket, that's for sure. My profession is high end residential millwork, so I will likely make myself something custom.

In one project I worked on the home theater was built on a floating slab on fine sand to disconnect it for noise and resonance purposes.... My first thought is to build a "tub" filled with sand that a butcher block type slab would sit on top of. I guess I will have to do some research...
xxDRBxx

PreviousNext

Return to Future VPI Owners