Brand new to Vinyl and looking for my first turntable.

Re: Brand new to Vinyl and looking for my first turntable.

Postby Packgrog » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:49 pm

Oh yeah, I'm familiar with SSD. I live pretty close to them. I met Mat there for the first time when they had a gathering to launch the original Nomad and Scout Jr. :D

Some cool record choices there, too! Once you start branching your collection out to used records, you'll want to start exploring RCM options, but for now, enjoy!
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby xxDRBxx » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:13 am

Sorry guys, another perhaps "odd" question...

Does the Player output to both the Phono out puts and the internal headphone output at the same time? I highly doubt it, but I figured I'd would ask....

My wife just threw me a curve ball when she asked "did you get me a set of headphones too so we can both listen at the same time?". She has never really shown an interest, but after our trip to Audio Video Therepy and listen a bit herself I guess she is at least intrigued. She of course then followed up by asking why I wasn't buying speakers too, so this little simple idea maybe growing some expensive legs
xxDRBxx

Postby MMMC » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:17 am

xxDRBxx wrote:Sorry guys, another perhaps "odd" question...

Does the Player output to both the Phono out puts and the internal headphone output at the same time? I highly doubt it, but I figured I'd would ask....

My wife just threw me a curve ball when she asked "did you get me a set of headphones too so we can both listen at the same time?". She has never really shown an interest, but after our trip to Audio Video Therepy and listen a bit herself I guess she is at least intrigued. She of course then followed up by asking why I wasn't buying speakers too, so this little simple idea maybe growing some expensive legs

Dorian,
Taking the wife to the audio retailer with you may have been an unknown stroke of genius. Good sound is addictive to almost everyone, and with the wife in the "support" corner, your life will be much easier. I get email from way too many vendors of everything, and just by chance, this sale popped up a few days ago. Here is the wife's headphones at $87.99 each, which will make enjoyment of your system a family affair, you will still have your headphones, and in reality, cheaper than another pair of headphones, and a no brainer at the price. With the high efficiency of these speakers, you do not need an expensive, nor high powered amp, just a few good clean watts, tube or solid state, if you need an amp at all.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0S6-0033-002K6&utm_source=Bluecore&utm_medium=BehEmail&utm_campaign=Post_Browsed&cm_mmc=EMCPB-032017-_-PB-_-Bluecore-_-Content&obem=u54FwLtgYy96wIRCAp5KDWZtTOLGUzzOIOUfXusE1rE%3D

Just a suggestion, and Good Luck.

MMMC
One of the last HRX production/ 3DR 12" arm/ ZYX Universe II LOMC with Copper wire/ RCM Sensor 2 phono preamp/ Silver Audio Appasionata IC/ Audio Sensibiity Statement Silver Phono V2 IC
MMMC

Postby pvannest » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:58 am

The turn tables you have listed would be perfectly fine. Both REGA and Project have quality product and large followings. However, I agree, if you can stretch to the VPI that would be a great start and a large leap from either of the other two.. That being said, essentially, you are talking about 4 components. Turntable, cartridge, headphone amp, and headphones. Each one has a part to play and it only depends on the total amount of money you really have to spend and then decide how many dollars you want to alot to each. If I were you I would spend the lions share on the headphones and then the turntable. When money permits, I would then upgrade the cartridge, and finally the preamp, but that is just me. When I came back to the hobby, I started out with new speakers. I then upgraded to a new turntable which included the cartridge. I didn't take long before I upgraded the cartridge followed by the electronics. It only took a few years and the upgrade bug attacked for a second round. That meant another upgraded cartridge. Then came the phono preamp, and then the preamp. On this third round, I upgraded the phono cartridge again and now a new turntable. I can tell you that each upgrade has made a noticeable improvement to the sound. At the price point you are describing, generally small (not expensive) upgrades can make large improvements to the sound. As time goes on, and your system grows, you will find that you have to spend more and more to get any noticeable improvements. The rule of diminishing returns really does kick in. At least it has for my system. At the lower end of the spectrum, the upgrades that had the largest impact the phono cartridges, and the speakers. That being said, only you can choose how where to place your dollars. Don't worry about price points, just try to get the best sound you can with the money you have available. This is all for fun and your enjoyment. Once you get started you can upgrade when and how you want. The upgrade bug will hit soon enough.
pvannest

Postby xxDRBxx » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:19 am

MMMC wrote:
Just a suggestion, and Good Luck.

MMMC

That's not a bad idea...

For a total bar bones basic speaker do you think those Klipsch or the Elac B5 or B6 for $30-50 more?
xxDRBxx

Postby Orchids1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:25 pm

It's pretty subjective. You should try to listen to them both. Both speakers get solid reviews, but the Elac B6, which is a newer design, gets some excellent ones. For example, Stereophile loved them, and compared them to $2,000 speakers. They also go a good bit deeper than the Klipschs, if that's important to you. If you can't audition them, I'd go for the B6, although I haven't heard either speaker, based on the reviews and specs alone. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby spinblackcircle » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:02 pm

xxDRBxx wrote:Sorry guys, another perhaps "odd" question...

Check out the Wharfdale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers at Music Direct. They are 499 and you can often snag a demo pair for 399. They are very musical, beautiful to look at and really give speakers costing much more a run for their money.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Wax » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:21 pm

If your wife is now showing interest, rather then spending $1500 on a multifunction deck I would go the system route;

Wharfdale Denton 80th Anniversary Speakers
PS Audio Sprout Integrated Amp (Phono and Headphone incl)
Rega P2
Ortofon 2m Red or Denon DL110

Nice starter system you and your wife can enjoy together with a decent deck and cart, small speakers, small 50w integrated amp with headphone, phono and Bluetooth capability. Probably can all be had for $1500 maybe a tad less if you work a deal buying all from Music Direct.

Use the cash to build your vinyl collection and enjoy, it's about the music after all!
B&W 803 Matrix 2
Audio Research LS3
Classe' Audio CA 150
Nitty Gritty RCM
CAL Audio Icon mk II
Audio Alchemy Headphone Amp
Sennheiser HD580
Audioquest Cables
Wax

Postby Orchids1 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:24 am

If you get the Elac or Warfendale Denton speakers, they will sound a good deal better on some sort of stands. The tweeters should be about at the listener's ear level when he's sitting where he wants to listen to them. That means the stands should probably be at least 24" high. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Orchids1 wrote:If you get the Elac or Warfendale Denton speakers, they will sound a good deal better on some sort of stands. The tweeters should be about at the listener's ear level when he's sitting where he wants to listen to them. That means the stands should probably be at least 24" high. Rich

The Dayton Audio 24" in stands are good on a budget. Fill with some playground sand or cat litter.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

PreviousNext

Return to Future VPI Owners