Brand new to Vinyl and looking for my first turntable.

Re: Brand new to Vinyl and looking for my first turntable.

Postby xxDRBxx » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:21 am

Thank you all for your help and patience. I should have some actual first hand experience to report back on soon
xxDRBxx

Postby Packgrog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:27 am

xxDRBxx wrote:I'm going to demo the Grado 225 and 325's as they seem to have better reviews for my primary type of music (Rock/ Hard rock). I will also see if I can try the Sennheiser's

Definitely try before you buy with headphones. Head-Fi meets are invaluable.
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:29 am

xxDRBxx wrote:I'm going to demo the Grado 225 and 325's as they seem to have better reviews for my primary type of music (Rock/ Hard rock). I will also see if I can try the Sennheiser's

Yes, do try both headphones as each offers excellent sonic results with one being an open ear piece and the other being a closed ear piece. You will easily develop a preference for one school of thought over the other. Personally, I prefer closed eared headphones, but that's just me.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby phb » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:47 am

I use the Sennheiser HD598 and it sounds superb. In my opinion, it is much more versatile than the HD600.
phb

Postby DeeCee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:37 pm

Can't lose with either Sennheisers or Grados. I own Grado SR225e and like their fast response & impact in the bass. Senns are wonderfully liquid in the mids and open.

It's dependent on your equipment and taste, so listening to both is best!

Good luck & Happy Listening!
DeeCee
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby wolfyboy359 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Like I mentioned in my earlier post, have you visited Head-Fi? It's a headphone centric forum with lots of help for people looking for headphones....

I hope I am allowed to post a link:
http://www.head-fi.org/
Scout Jr. / Ortofon 2M Black > Sutherland Ph3D > Marantz PM-14S1 Integrated > Martin Logan Motion 60XT's // Audioquest MacKenzie Interconnects, Audioquest Type 8 Speaker Cables, Ortofon Phono Cable // Cambridge Audio CXU // Sony MDR-Z1R Headphone
wolfyboy359

Postby xxDRBxx » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:55 pm

wolfyboy359 wrote:Like I mentioned in my earlier post, have you visited Head-Fi? It's a headphone centric forum with lots of help for people looking for headphones....

I hope I am allowed to post a link:
http://www.head-fi.org/

Yes, and thank you... That is partially what I'm basing my current thoughts on headphones on as well comments here
xxDRBxx

Postby xxDRBxx » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:17 pm

After a visit to my local VPI dealer (Audio Video Therepy in Nashua NH) I put a deposit on a special order of a VPI Player in Hard rock Maple.

I got to try out a maple version along with a few different brands of headphones (they do not carry Sennheiser) after listening to a few different records I put on Pink Floyd's "The Final Cut". Not being a Pink Floyd fan and having no real knowledge of the album I was blown away at the depth of what I was hearing. I happened to be listening though a pair of Grado 325e and I swear my wallet flew out of my rear pocket.

The dealer was beyond amazing, and I have no doubt I might have been able to possibly find it cheaper online but I highly value an actual store, with friendly people that know what they are talking about. They hooked me up with a 5% discount on both the 325e and the Player. I was thankful for the discount (which I didn't ask for) and would have been happy to pay whatever their price was given the level of service I feel I received.

So, now the wait to see how long I will have to wait for it to arrive. :)

I probably could have done more research, but after looking and listening to some of the other tables (music Hall, Pro-Ject) I knew I had my heart set on the VPI
xxDRBxx

Postby Packgrog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:30 pm

The Final Cut is a depressing freakin' album, but the recording quality is phenomenal. Nice choice.

I'm sure you'll love the Player. It's a great little beast!
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby xxDRBxx » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:42 pm

Packgrog wrote:The Final Cut is a depressing freakin' album, but the recording quality is phenomenal. Nice choice.

I'm sure you'll love the Player. It's a great little beast!

Thanks, I'm excited.

My dealer has a 1 year trade up policy that allows 100% credit of the purchase price if trading in on something double my initial purchase. Seemed to be pretty easy way to go if I decide to throw more money at this.

Just ordered up a variety of listening for my new table through Soundstage Direct...

Pink Floyd - Animals
Nine Inch Nails - 2010 remaster of Pretty Hate Machine
Tool - Lateralius
Medeski Martin and Wood - End of the World Party
Star Wars - The Force Awakens soundtrack (per request of my 9 year old boys.)

Thank for the help! I really appreciate it
xxDRBxx

PreviousNext

Return to Future VPI Owners