Brand new to Vinyl and looking for my first turntable.

Brand new to Vinyl and looking for my first turntable.

Postby xxDRBxx » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:28 pm

Good Evening all!

I've decided to jump head first into the world of vinyl and to say the least I'm a bit overwhelmed!

A little background on me and what I'm looking for. I love music, creating music in my teens and twenties I've lost touch in my "work a million hours a week to support two kids, a house,and my amazing wife" 30's. I recently came to realize how busy I am and how much I miss music with the purchase of a pair of AKG K240s and a small Bravo Audio V2 for my desk at work.... I'm excited about music again! Things I didn't remember hearing in my music from earbuds or the car stereo where magically all there again wanting me to listen deeper... At the same time I have been buying up vinyl albums from one of my favorite artist as "collectibles" even though I have no record player. I have a wide range in taste, I'm a huge Nine Inch Nails fan, but I spent a good part of Friday at work listening to "The Bad Plus" and Mesdeski, Martin and Wood.

Ok, here is what I'm looking for.

A turntable. I have no real current desire for a large "system" and I prefer listening to music through headphones (I always have). I wouldn't mind a set of bookshelf type speakers someday, but I have not the room nor the wallet to afford something elaborate. I want to use headphones as a bit of a relax or escape in lue of the tv or iPad etc.

My initial searches lead me to turntables like the Rega Planar 2 and the Pro-Ject Carbon Debut / Esprit. The downside with these (in my mind) being the "extra" gear needed to complete my setup. While reading through a online retailer (I.e. Obsessing about a purchase) I stumbled across the VPI Nomad, which in turn has lead me here.

In talking with this retailer I was very underwhelmed with the service and the time they had to explain what I'm getting as a demo model in the VPI Nomad. Sure the price rocked at $599, but there was little advice offered in terms of "was this right for me" both now and maybe a few years down the line.... in the end, I would have a hard time wanting to fork over my very hard worked for cash to this particular retailer.

Yes, I'm ranting. Yes, I tend to obsess about purchases. Yes, how the product looks and how the buyer process goes for me "matters". No, I'm not rich, and no I do not have unlimited funds, but I would rather buy right and have it sting a little than take a hit later and regret I didn't invest a bit more upfront

Is there hope for me?

Currently considering
VPI Nomad $599
Rega Planar 2 $675 (still need phono stage and headphone pre)
Pro-Ject carbon Debut / Carbon Debut Esprit ( Still need phono stage and headphone pre)

I would also like to consider a headphone upgrade along side the Turntable purchase

Thanks for enduring this rambling if you gave made it this far
xxDRBxx

Re: Brand new to Vinyl and looking for my first turntable.

Postby Dorian » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:03 pm

If I were you I would just accept the reality that as soon as you get into listening to vinyl you will become addicted to it like I did, and buy a Prime Signature and be done with it! :lol:

If that is too much of a leap, then at least try to find the cash to buy a separate phono preamp and headphone amp. If you can do that, then perhaps the new Scout (i.e. Baby Prime), plus an iFi iPhono v2 phono preamp plus your headphone amp of choice.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby mreeter » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:13 pm

xxDRBxx, You will find that most around here are SERIOUS Vinyl Enthusiast. The entry level tables that you mention will allow you to play a record, but not hear what the Vinyl Medium is truly capable of.

My advise would be the same as above, save your coin until you can purchase a "Better" table and the associated hardware to accompany it. Vinyl is a very rewarding source, but is not a cheap one.
VPI Classic Signature SE/Soundsmith Zephyr
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
Modwright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
Rogue Audio Ares "Magnum" Phono Preamp
Rogue Audio M-180 Monoblock Amps
Dynaudio Contour S3.4LE
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun Wires
mreeter

Postby jonathanb » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:22 pm

Get the Nomad. If you wind up heavily smitten by the vinyl bug, then you can upgrade down the line. In the meantime, you'll have a really nice deck that is perfect for use with your headphones.
jonathanb

Postby wolfyboy359 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:26 pm

Sorry, TLDR, but I did see the headphones part. Which ones are you considering? Have you visited Head-fi?
Scout Jr. / Ortofon 2M Black > Sutherland Ph3D > Marantz PM-14S1 Integrated > Martin Logan Motion 60XT's // Audioquest MacKenzie Interconnects, Audioquest Type 8 Speaker Cables, Ortofon Phono Cable // Cambridge Audio CXU // Sony MDR-Z1R Headphone
wolfyboy359

Postby JohnCh » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:30 pm

If you go the Nomad route, I'd buy from a vendor who has an upgrade program. Some, like SoundStageDirect, will give you a 100% trade in towards a more expensive turntable within the first year. I did this with them last summer and it was painless.

-John
VPI Classic Signature, VAS Nova Signature, Lehmann Black Cube SE II, Oppo BDP-105, VTL 2.5 w/NOS tubes, Channel Islands Audio E200S, Magnepan 1.7 w/Mye stands, REL Strata III, Audio Sensibility Impact SE & Clear Day Double Shotgun cables
JohnCh

Postby xxDRBxx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:50 pm

I guess perhaps I may be in a bit over my head in these boards here....

I can confidently say, $3k is out of my realm.... $1k for a setup, OK.... $1500 hurts, but if I have a reason to think it's going to be beneficial maybe.

Is the Nomad just not any good? I just love the "idea" of it being simple, compact but quality build. It seems the "Player" would be more upgradeable but it's more than double the price. Is there an audible difference?

Or maybe I'd be better off with a Flunance as has been mentioned in another forum
xxDRBxx

Postby xxDRBxx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:55 pm

wolfyboy359 wrote:Sorry, TLDR, but I did see the headphones part. Which ones are you considering? Have you visited Head-fi?

I want a set of Grados... Perhaps 225e's

I think I'm going to find someplace that will let me play with some gear first hand.

I'm OK spend a bit more at a brick and mortar shop if they can actually help me out with some real advice and not just talk down to me because I'm not sure what I want or why
xxDRBxx

Postby xxDRBxx » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:00 pm

mreeter wrote:
My advise would be the same as above, save your coin until you can purchase a "Better" table and the associated hardware to accompany it.

OK, I get that. I guess what I'm asking is "what is the general threshold of a "decent" product? If the bare minimum is $3 or $4k just to get into the game then I guess I'm sunk. What the real difference for someone who barely owns any vinyl, has never owned a turntable between $1k and $5k?

In all seriousness and with respect to all the knowledge here I'm asking in a respectful manner. I'm here on the VPI forum for a reason, as I'm genuinely intrigued
xxDRBxx

Postby Brf » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:17 pm

I have a fiend that owns a Nomad table and only listens to it through a pair Sennheiser HD600 headphones. Installed is a Ortofon 2M Black and it sound awesome. It would take a lot more $$$ to beat this combination.
Brf
Site Admin

Next

Return to Future VPI Owners