Brand new to Vinyl and looking for my first turntable.

Re: Brand new to Vinyl and looking for my first turntable.

Postby Brf » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:23 pm

I must be the only one who doesn’t like the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers. I found them anemic and uninviting, plus they need some current to get them to jump.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby xxDRBxx » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Went back to my local dealer today and demo'd two pairs of speakers...

Pair (1) KEF Q500 floor speakers. Brand New, $699

Pair (2) PMC FB1+ floor speakers, used $999.

Demo'd with a small NAD integrated amp with a streaming "CD" quality service (I don't remember)

It was supposed to be a quick listen that turned into almost 3 hours with my wife and kids. Listen to everything from both Nora Jones, John Williams, Nine Inch Nails, Daft Punk, The Who ECT ECT. Listen to every song on both speakers

The Q500's where nice in the mid range, but the bass was boring or mis leading (notes lacked definition). Slow stuff, like Nora Jones was intriguing, but harder, more driven stuff, In both mine and my wife's opinion well flat on its face.

The PMC's had a "smoother" high end, I guess... And the lows had more definition (daft punk, nine inch nails) where notes were easily identifiable in the lower register. The mids were slightly less "in your face" would be the only way could describe it.

We left without making a purchase, but my wife said "I feel like the PMC's would be more "fun" with the music I want to listen too"

Do any of these things ive said sound "correct"?? Not sure what I might try additionally as my dealer has B&W, Paradigm,KEF, Totem, Klipsch Heritage, Ariel,PSB...

Finally, I am committed to doing business with this specific dealer (as mentioned previously in this thread). There dedication to making us feel at home and not ppreasured means every penny of my purchase price. I don't have any interest in giving money to an online retailer.
xxDRBxx

Postby Wax » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:37 pm

Go demo a few things in your price range and pick what you like. Pretty simple if you enjoy it what difference does it make what other people think.. it's a personal decision and everybody's taste differ. You're ultimately the one who has to be happy with your choice. Trust your own ears!
B&W 803 Matrix 2
Audio Research LS3
Classe' Audio CA 150
Nitty Gritty RCM
CAL Audio Icon mk II
Audio Alchemy Headphone Amp
Sennheiser HD580
Audioquest Cables
Wax

Postby xxDRBxx » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:43 am

Wax wrote:Go demo a few things in your price range and pick what you like. Pretty simple if you enjoy it what difference does it make what other people think.. it's a personal decision and everybody's taste differ. You're ultimately the one who has to be happy with your choice. Trust your own ears!

You're right. I guess I'm not so much looking for approval as much as if I'm headed in the right direction as this is new stuff to me.
xxDRBxx

Postby Orchids1 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:00 am

As I and others have said, it's pretty subjective. However, what type of music do you like to listen to. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby xxDRBxx » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:06 pm

Well, I guess I can now move out of the "Future VPI Owners" thread

The Player is all setup and running (after some issues) running into my Power Node 2 and through PMC FB1+ speakers

Thanks for the help!
xxDRBxx

Postby Luka » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi, You dont need spend a lot of money at all.

Links from record LP I made (it is an aproximation, but it is good enough test)
Sets up difference:
6100 € vs 1000 €
In the "cheap" set up the needle is a little damaged, you can ear something at first and the end of track
I hope help you

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mx326hxc2f9f ... .flac?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p646v4x9az8qc ... .flac?dl=0
Luka

Previous

Return to Future VPI Owners