Prime - set my mind at ease - motor placement?

Prime - set my mind at ease - motor placement?

Postby mgrenwic » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Okay,

I really want to pull the trigger on the VPI Prime but the separate motor is bothering the obsessive compulsive in me.
I just feel like the correct placement is crucial to having an accurate speed - maybe I'm wrong here.
I watched the setup video and I think it says place it about 1/4th of an inch away from the table.
Im not exactly sure how to measure that.

For some reason this is just bothering me - am I crazy?
Is placement important as I think?
Help me get over this, b/c its one sweet looking table.

Thanks
mgrenwic

Re: Prime - set my mind at ease - motor placement?

Postby wolfyboy359 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:42 pm

I'll bite. Although I only have a Scout Jr. and not a Prime. I found it to be nerve wracking at first as to the placement of the outboard motor (just like a Prime). Call me anal, but I wanted it to be perfect. But with time I found that while important, it is not as critical as all that to get the motor just right. There is some play in the placement and I found out through a program on my phone (which detects the speed the platter is spinning, an Android app called RPM Calculator) where the best placement is. It also matters where on the spindle you place the belt. What I am trying to say, is that there are measurable ways to decide if your turntable motor is affecting the speed of your platter spinning. So that gave me at least, peace of mind. YMMV.
Scout Jr. / Ortofon 2M Black > Sutherland Ph3D > Marantz PM-14S1 Integrated > Martin Logan Motion 60XT's // Audioquest MacKenzie Interconnects, Audioquest Type 8 Speaker Cables, Ortofon Phono Cable // Cambridge Audio CXU // Sony MDR-Z1R Headphone
wolfyboy359

Postby Orchids1 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:03 am

Mgrenwic, Wolfy, I'd like to try to allay your OCD. With both my Scout 2 and Avenger tables, I set the motors at what looked to be 1/4" (or whatever VPI recommends), confirmed the distance roughly with a tape measure and left them alone. The speed accuracy of each was remarkable, as measured by a Roadrunner tach without a speed controller. The Scout varied by not more than .02 rpm, which is inaudible, and the Avenger was generally accurate through the third decimal point. Don't worry about great precision in setting the motor distance. There are plenty of other table, tonearm and cartridge adjustments that you can pleasurably check, set and recheck compulsively. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Brf » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:25 am

Lets take a look at the issue from a difference perspective. With a fixed motor mounting point, you have little to no adjustability with regard to belt tension and to some extent, speed adjustment. With a free standing motor, you have greater flexibility, therefore, a greater chance in getting the correct speed dialed in.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby elader » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:02 pm

cheapest way? there's an app for that.
VPI Prime, Benz Micro Glider, Phoenix tach, VPI SDS, Parks SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A pre, Primaluna Prologue Five Amp
REGA Apollo, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
KEF R300 sprks, pangea stands, SVS SB12 sub
Bluejean audio cables, Silnote AC cables
elader

Postby Brf » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:35 pm

elader wrote:cheapest way? there's an app for that.

The RPM and Turntabulator apps are both free
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Jharris » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:28 pm

I wouldn't worry about it much. Set it up, check the speed, listen. Being slightly off on your speed is most likely not going to change the pitch or speed enough for you to notice. The bigger issue is speed fluctuations which VPI motors don't have too much of an issue with. Just enjoy the music
Reference Analog LLC
http://www.referenceanalog.com
Jharris

Return to Future VPI Owners