Saving for a Scout Jr - wow/flutter question

Saving for a Scout Jr - wow/flutter question

Postby zephead68 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:30 am

Hi, I'm a new member and I am seriously considering a Scout Jr since that's the top of my spending limit and because it's upgradable. The nomad looks very good but not upgradeable. When I got back into vinyl a few years a go I bought a Stanton T62 DJ TT. The specs on this TT is .15 wow. The Nomad is .06 and the Scout Jr is .02. Is going from .15 to .02 a noticeable difference?

I was considering a Music Hall 5.3 with a Ortofon Blue but I think a Scout Jr with an Ortofon red is better choice.

Does the Scout Jr have anti-sKating? I see a thin wire running from the tonearm to a device a few inches away from the tonearm. Is that the anti-skating?

Thank You!
zephead68

Re: Saving for a Scout Jr - wow/flutter question

Postby Brf » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:01 pm

zephead68 wrote:Hi, I'm a new member and I am seriously considering a Scout Jr since that's the top of my spending limit and because it's upgradable. The nomad looks very good but not upgradeable. When I got back into vinyl a few years a go I bought a Stanton T62 DJ TT. The specs on this TT is .15 wow. The Nomad is .06 and the Scout Jr is .02. Is going from .15 to .02 a noticeable difference?

Even if you have perfect pitch I doubt you will hear a difference.

zephead68 wrote:Does the Scout Jr have anti-sKating? I see a thin wire running from the tonearm to a device a few inches away from the tonearm. Is that the anti-skating?!

The Scout Jr does not have anti skate. What you see in the picture is the tonearm wires existing the arm into a phono interface box in which you connect you interconnects.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby zephead68 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:22 pm

Thank you.
zephead68

Postby zephead68 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:28 pm

I'm curious as to why the scout jr doesn't have anti skating.
zephead68

Postby WntrMute » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:47 am

zephead68 wrote:I'm curious as to why the scout jr doesn't have anti skating.

One reason is that Harry doesn't believe in anti-skating as his opinion is the sound is better without A-S. That said, he now includes it on many tables because many people do not agree with him and there is no sense losing business over a few pennies in parts.
WntrMute

Postby zephead68 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:51 am

WntrMute wrote:
zephead68 wrote:I'm curious as to why the scout jr doesn't have anti skating.

One reason is that Harry doesn't believe in anti-skating as his opinion is the sound is better without A-S. That said, he now includes it on many tables because many people do not agree with him and there is no sense losing business over a few pennies in parts.

I have noticed on a scout setup video that you can twist the wire that attaches the tonearm to the box on the back to 'simulate' anti skating. Is this twisting of the cable considered anti-skating?
Scout Jr. /HR-X Weight / Ortofon 2M Red / Ortofon 6NX TSW-1010 R / Yamaha RX-A850 / Phase Technology T7's Front/ Bose 161 Bookshelf Surround / Klipsch Synergy S-20 Rear Surround / Klipsch Synergy C-20 Center / SVS SB-1000 - 12", 300 Watt Subwoofer
zephead68

Postby zephead68 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:10 am

I finally pulled the trigger. Scout Jr/Ortofon Red MM/Ortofon 6NX TSW-1010 R cable is officially on order! I also bought a crosscheck level and a tracking force scale. Im damn excited!
Scout Jr. /HR-X Weight / Ortofon 2M Red / Ortofon 6NX TSW-1010 R / Yamaha RX-A850 / Phase Technology T7's Front/ Bose 161 Bookshelf Surround / Klipsch Synergy S-20 Rear Surround / Klipsch Synergy C-20 Center / SVS SB-1000 - 12", 300 Watt Subwoofer
zephead68

Postby smashatoms » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:23 pm

zephead68 wrote: I have noticed on a scout setup video that you can twist the wire that attaches the tonearm to the box on the back to 'simulate' anti skating. Is this twisting of the cable considered anti-skating?

Since you pulled the trigger on the Scout Jr., you probably found an answer to this question on your own. But, yes, twisting the tonearm wire is VPI's official method of applying anti-skate.

Enjoy your new table!

Cheers,
Smash
Prime/Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood
Phoenix Eagle/SS Periphery Ring & Weight
George Wright WPL-20 phono/pre
George Wright AU-15 monos
Schiit Audio Gungnir PCM & Loki DSD DACs
Fostex FE166ES-R in BLH
Rogers LS3/5A & LSB1
smashatoms

Postby zephead68 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks, Smash. I'll try that method.
zephead68

Postby Wax » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:10 am

zephead68 wrote:Thanks, Smash. I'll try that method.

Don't get carried away twisting the wire 1 turn either direction. The wire is fragile!
B&W 803 Matrix 2
Audio Research LS3
Classe' Audio CA 150
Nitty Gritty RCM
CAL Audio Icon mk II
Audio Alchemy Headphone Amp
Sennheiser HD580
Audioquest Cables
Wax

Next

Return to Future VPI Owners