Last pre-purchase nudnicky question :)

Re: Last pre-purchase nudnicky question :)

Postby WntrMute » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:47 pm

TheGreatBiguini wrote:Thanks, sorry for posting such a dorky question. :) Wife will only let me do that if I paint it black

Wait, you mean she objects to a MAPLE colored MAPLE shelf? She will only LET you have this MAPLE colored MAPLE shelf if you f**k it up with some cheap-ass Rustoleum rattle-can finish? What color are her MAPLE cutting boards in the kitchen? I suggest you paint them black as well. HAF and all.
WntrMute

Postby Brf » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:25 pm

TheGreatBiguini wrote:What do folks do to keep the ball bearings in the feet from scratching whatever surfaces they're on? Are they (forgive me for asking) removable?

I guess I think too much. :) But keeping the spouse happy is the key to... well, keeping the spouse happy.

I use a special order HRS Nimbus plus Coupler. They will not only protect your surface but also increase the table's performance. They are very discrete and are of high quality. They retail for around $125 each, but I may have an extra set laying around that I would sell if interested. Below is a picture of the HRS under my HRX's feet.
Attachments
Nimbus.jpeg
Nimbus.jpeg (79.86 KiB) Viewed 1240 times
Brf
Site Admin

Postby TheGreatBiguini » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:14 am

OMG we got a bunch of linguists here. :) Actually I just spotted the name somewhere else long ago and thought it was pretty funny...I assume it decodes as "The Great Big Weenie" but hey, what do I know?

10ovr, that actually looks like a very nice solution..
TheGreatBiguini

Postby TheGreatBiguini » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:55 pm

Wntrmute... welll, yeah, sorta. The reason being that we already have a bunch of wood stuff in the living room and it's mainly all cherry: floor, lovely inlaid tabletop, and Vandersteen Treos. So she doesn't want anything to clash. I might be able to get her to go with cherry, or I could refinish something. But if I can convince her to add a Symposium platform to the whole shebang as part of my BD present I think I'll angle for that. She is somewhat picky about this stuff admittedly, but if I work with it right then marital and auditory bliss can yet ensue. :)
TheGreatBiguini

Postby TheGreatBiguini » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:56 pm

Brf: Interesting. Do let me know if you have that extra set; no promises but I am sure that someone here will want them!
TheGreatBiguini

Postby WntrMute » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:28 am

TheGreatBiguini wrote:Wntrmute... welll, yeah, sorta. The reason being that we already have a bunch of wood stuff in the living room and it's mainly all cherry: floor, lovely inlaid tabletop, and Vandersteen Treos. So she doesn't want anything to clash. I might be able to get her to go with cherry, or I could refinish something. But if I can convince her to add a Symposium platform to the whole shebang as part of my BD present I think I'll angle for that. She is somewhat picky about this stuff admittedly, but if I work with it right then marital and auditory bliss can yet ensue. :)

Do you have to get her approval on your clothes b4 entering the room?
Sorry, last snarky comment.
WntrMute

Postby TheGreatBiguini » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:09 am

If you had ever seen how I dress you would not have asked that. :) Some people put their resources into clothes, and some into equipment. I know which team I bat for. :)
TheGreatBiguini

Postby Mat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:29 am

That's why I happily get all my cloths from Kohl's :p
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby digitallc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:58 am

10ovr wrote:
TheGreatBiguini wrote:Thanks, sorry for posting such a dorky question. :) Wife will only let me do that if I paint it black, which I suppose I can do. Anyway, trying to also figure out how to get a dust cover which is cat-stable... I know cats, and they are gonna be right on that thing, and thrusting off it to the top of my vandersteens. :) So if I put the cover on top of the butcher block it may slide... might just get the Gingko Cloud 11 and the Gingko cover, which seems like the simplest solution.

WAF is a pain, but it led me to getting my Vandersteen Treos instead of Magneplanars, and I am happier than a tall dog in a meat market with the Treos, both aurally and visually.

I just screwed down corner stops to stop the dust cover from sliding off,,,Picked these up at Ace Hardwear ,,, Image

Do you have a link to those corner stops?
digitallc

Postby TomD » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:51 am

For the cats I recommend this:

PetSafe Ssscat Cat Spray Control System. You can get it on Amazon or Pet Smart. Its basically canned air with a motion sensor.

Get a few and put them around your gear. After triggering these a few times your cats won't go anywhere near them and you can take the batteries out. Easily removed for when you have people over if your wife is concerned about that.

Congrats on the table!
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

PreviousNext

Return to Future VPI Owners