Prime footprint

Prime footprint

Postby Ogre » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:28 pm

Hi All,
I have ordered a Prime and I need to get its support ready by the time it arrives.
So my question is what is the minimum width that the support must be to accommodate the plinth plus motor.
There is a figure for footprint among the specs on the website (19 1/2) but not sure that includes the motor.
Thanks for any help.
Gabor
Ogre

Re: Prime footprint

Postby smashatoms » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:23 am

Ogre wrote:Hi All,
I have ordered a Prime and I need to get its support ready by the time it arrives.
So my question is what is the minimum width that the support must be to accommodate the plinth plus motor.
There is a figure for footprint among the specs on the website (19 1/2) but not sure that includes the motor.
Thanks for any help.
Gabor

Those numbers must be the measure from the outer edge of one footer puck to the other. Measuring the width of the MDF plinth yields 20.5x15. The motor pod brings the full width to about 21.5", depending on how far you position the motor from the platter. I'm using a 24x18 cutting board as a support. It's the perfect size if you don't plan to keep a ton of accessories right near the table. Another inch or two in width would have been nice but I'm able to keep a record brush and have a place to put the ss clamp when I change records.

IMG_1579.JPG
IMG_1579.JPG (337 KiB) Viewed 1622 times

As you can see, it's cosy buy quite serviceable.

Cheers,
Smash
Prime/Denon DL-103/Altec Peerless 4722 SUT
Phoenix Eagle/SS Periphery Ring & Weight
George Wright WPL-20 phono/pre
George Wright AU-15 monos
Schiit Audio Gungnir PCM & Loki DSD DACs/AQ Dragonfly Red
Fostex FE166ES-R in BLH
Rogers LS3/5A & LSB1
smashatoms

Postby Ogre » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:33 am

Smash, thanks for the info.

I said I needed the minimum width of the support cause it will be on a wall bracket and the left edge may come uncomfortably close to some 845 tubes just beside and below.
There are equipment supports snug on either side of the bracket and I cannot really move them further away. So the support must be as narrow as possible. The TT plinth being wider is not an issue as it is lifted high enough by the bracket + support.
What I really need is the distance between the outer edge of the footer pucks at the right and the outer edge of the motor at left.

Thanks
Gabor
Ogre

Postby smashatoms » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:22 am

Ogre wrote:Smash, thanks for the info.

I said I needed the minimum width of the support cause it will be on a wall bracket and the left edge may come uncomfortably close to some 845 tubes just beside and below.
There are equipment supports snug on either side of the bracket and I cannot really move them further away. So the support must be as narrow as possible. The TT plinth being wider is not an issue as it is lifted high enough by the bracket + support.
What I really need is the distance between the outer edge of the footer pucks at the right and the outer edge of the motor at left.

Thanks
Gabor

The width from outer edge of the right footer puck to the outer edge of the left motor foot is 20".
Prime/Denon DL-103/Altec Peerless 4722 SUT
Phoenix Eagle/SS Periphery Ring & Weight
George Wright WPL-20 phono/pre
George Wright AU-15 monos
Schiit Audio Gungnir PCM & Loki DSD DACs/AQ Dragonfly Red
Fostex FE166ES-R in BLH
Rogers LS3/5A & LSB1
smashatoms

Postby plantboy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:21 pm

smashatoms, thanks for the picture of the cutting board. I noticed that extends the footprint of your top shelf by a few inches on each side. I may need to do similar, because in addition to the footprint of the Prime, I must also account for a dust cover (more like a flying projectile, kids-in-the-house cover).

My shelf is 22.5" x 15.5"
Prime dust covers seem to be 24" x 17.25"

If you guys see any concern for my plan (stability of the rack?), let me know. I'm attaching photos of the rack, currently housing a Scout quite contentedly.

IMG_0802.JPG
Scout with dust cover on rack
IMG_0802.JPG (822.53 KiB) Viewed 1172 times

IMG_0801.JPG
Whole system
IMG_0801.JPG (1.55 MiB) Viewed 1195 times
Scout 1.1; Ortofon 2M Bronze; Rega Fono; Peachtree Audio Nova; Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cables; Magnepan MG12;
plantboy

Postby bhjazz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:09 pm

Ah, this finally makes sense now. The specs on the site for the Prime are:
Overall Dimensions 21 ⅜" x 15 ¾"
Footprint is 19 ½" x 13 ¾"

The footprint is the space needed by the feet/motor.
The overall dimensions are larger due to the feet being set in from the edges of the plinth, so the plinth would obviously be larger.

I think my shelf at 23 3/8" x 15 3/8" should be able to house a Prime, although it looks like I need a different solution if I want a dust cover. I might need a Symposium shelf myself. :geek:
bhjazz

Return to Future VPI Owners