Journal your setup (especially turntables)

Journal your setup (especially turntables)

Postby Mr_Putty » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:38 pm

As a new VPI Prime owner last year, I found documenting my setup useful and necessary for my expierments. I suggest ALL new owners do something similar. Why? Because if your gear is new (audiophile upgrades and understood may be an exception), you may hear different likes with small changes in your setup. But how will you know what changed a week later without your notes? You can fly by the seat of you pants and guess, and good luck with that! New gear will have a breakin period, and should sound better with use. But, especially if you are adding several new items at the same time you need something to tell you when you made a change, and why you did it. Does something not sound correct to you? Make a note when it happened with the date. Trouble shooting and tweeking can take time. You do want the best possible sound from what you got, right? Document and you will be ahead when something goes wrong, and when something exceeds your expectations.
JTA
Mr_Putty

Re: Journal your setup (especially turntables)

Postby Buck115 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:33 pm

This is an excellent suggestion for anyone that isn't already doing it!!!!

I've kept spreadsheets with configurations, settings, changes, measurements, and results for my current Classic and the previous two turntables that I owned, the cartridges I used on each, and cables that I've tried on each. Sure helps when you go back and forth between cartridges or perform a cleaning/lube operation where you remove things and then put them back together!
2 Channel: VPI The Classic | Ortofon Quintet Blue | Sunfire Symphonic Reference Preamp | B&K Reference 200.2 | Denon DCD-1650AR, DRM-800 | Sonos Connect | Klipsch KLF-20s | Monster HTS 5100 | AQ King Cobra ICs, Gibraltar Bi-wires
Buck115

Postby Brf » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:51 pm

My personal general rule is to introduce only one change at a time.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Peer Gynt » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:01 pm

The other thing to keep in mind that changes can be nonlinear, and that there are certain synergies that may, or may not, appear. When they do appear, they have a larger impact than other, seemingly important, changes. Interpolation is always safer than extrapolation, but in nonlinear systems, even interpolation can go awry.

You can drive yourself nuts trying to quantify all this stuff. A friend of mine with exquisite musical taste and excellent hearing was the first to describe to me success - Success is when it becomes clear that the magic has appeared. I think he was on to something.

It is relatively easy to convince yourself that you've learned stuff that may not have been a real lesson ... but I suppose that writing it all down is helpful, and allows you to keep track, more or less.

For me, a journal would take the fun out of it. For an accountant or an aspiring experimental physicist, it may be the very thing that makes the hobby fun.
Peer Gynt

Return to Future VPI Owners