Technics SL-1200 to Prime?

Technics SL-1200 to Prime?

Postby pathguy » Thu May 03, 2018 4:58 am

Greetings everyone!

The upgrade bug is biting, and I am trying to decide if I will notice a huge difference going from my stock SL-1200 MKII (bought new in 2007) with a Dynavector 20x2L to a prime with the soundsmith MIMC star. I have an EAR 834P phono stage. Was also chatting with the folks at Upscale Audio about a "super" prime scout.... :D The rest of my system consists of an Ars-Sonum Filarmonia integrated amp (upgrading to the Gran Filarmonia once it's all built and sent from Madrid) and Merlin VSM-MMM speakers.

I recently borrowed a friend's new Rega RP10 with a Grado signature cartridge, and I have to tell you, I was not wowed with the difference. I have a local guy who deals with Rega, but even the RP10 just feels cheap to me...

I realize that the cartridge is probably a big difference; I also thought about getting the VPI with the same cartridge shipped to me; that way I could make a side-by-side comparison....could also just trade in the Dynavector for the MIMC too.

Any thoughts/opinions are welcome and appreciated ;)
pathguy
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Re: Technics SL-1200 to Prime?

Postby 10ovr » Thu May 03, 2018 7:55 am

Harry has a deal going on with a VAS NOVA cart that would go great with your set up,,The VAS Nova is a hands down beautiful sounding cart and a steel at the price Harry is selling it for,,Worth looking in to,, viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9903&hilit=vas+nova viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7328&hilit=vas+nova
10ovr
Senior Member
 
Posts: 902
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: Fountain Hills AZ

Re: Technics SL-1200 to Prime?

Postby pathguy » Thu May 03, 2018 8:12 am

10ovr wrote:Harry has a deal going on with a VAS NOVA cart that would go great with your set up,,The VAS Nova is a hands down beautiful sounding cart and a steel at the price Harry is selling it for,,Worth looking in to,,

ah: thank you! Read a little about that cartridge, will look into it more!
pathguy
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Re: Technics SL-1200 to Prime?

Postby Peer Gynt » Thu May 03, 2018 8:26 am

This would be heretical in many branded TT forums, but if you are meticulous about locating, situating, and setting up the Tecnhnics, it will give a credible performance with a cartridge that is well matched to the rest of your system.

I’m not surprised that the Rega didn’t beat it. If there were ever an emperor with no clothes, any of the Regas would be candidates. The higher the model, the more likely as a candidate. If you’re in the Rega line, stop at the 3.
Peer Gynt
Senior Member
 
Posts: 273
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Re: Technics SL-1200 to Prime?

Postby Packgrog » Thu May 03, 2018 8:54 am

Peer Gynt wrote:This would be heretical in many branded TT forums, but if you are meticulous about locating, situating, and setting up the Tecnhnics, it will give a credible performance with a cartridge that is well matched to the rest of your system.

I’m not surprised that the Rega didn’t beat it. If there were ever an emperor with no clothes, any of the Regas would be candidates. The higher the model, the more likely as a candidate. If you’re in the Rega line, stop at the 3.

I'm surprised that a Rega didn't beat a Technics. That tells me that the Rega wasn't set up properly. A Technics is reliable, but they'll never sound as good as a properly set up belt drive. But yes, the 3 is probably the Rega sweet spot.

All that said, I've been much happier with my VPI than I was with my Rega P2, Technics SL-1200 MKII, or Michell TecnoDec. Mods certainly came into play in all cases, but the VPI is a better overall platform long term.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
User avatar
Packgrog
Senior Member
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:37 pm
Location: Philadelphia Area

Re: Technics SL-1200 to Prime?

Postby pathguy » Thu May 03, 2018 9:12 am

Packgrog wrote:
Peer Gynt wrote:This would be heretical in many branded TT forums, but if you are meticulous about locating, situating, and setting up the Tecnhnics, it will give a credible performance with a cartridge that is well matched to the rest of your system.

I’m not surprised that the Rega didn’t beat it. If there were ever an emperor with no clothes, any of the Regas would be candidates. The higher the model, the more likely as a candidate. If you’re in the Rega line, stop at the 3.

I'm surprised that a Rega didn't beat a Technics. That tells me that the Rega wasn't set up properly. A Technics is reliable, but they'll never sound as good as a properly set up belt drive. But yes, the 3 is probably the Rega sweet spot.

All that said, I've been much happier with my VPI than I was with my Rega P2, Technics SL-1200 MKII, or Michell TecnoDec. Mods certainly came into play in all cases, but the VPI is a better overall platform long term.

Thank you for the input!

I wonder if some of it was the cartridge (a $3,200 Grado) with my phono stage? Might not be the best match.
Anyhow, I think the Rega was definitely set up properly. Our guy here is awesome, and I trust him. Don't get me wrong, it sounded great and was minimally better than my set up, but for that kind of money, I want to be able to say that I hear a big difference.
pathguy
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Re: Technics SL-1200 to Prime?

Postby pathguy » Thu May 03, 2018 9:14 am

Peer Gynt wrote:This would be heretical in many branded TT forums, but if you are meticulous about locating, situating, and setting up the Tecnhnics, it will give a credible performance with a cartridge that is well matched to the rest of your system.

I’m not surprised that the Rega didn’t beat it. If there were ever an emperor with no clothes, any of the Regas would be candidates. The higher the model, the more likely as a candidate. If you’re in the Rega line, stop at the 3.

Thanks!

I just don't like how light the Rega is...and I expected the RP10's cueing lever to feel more substantial, but it feels really cheap to me; actually no different than my rega P2 (which I use in my secondary system in my work/on-call apartment an hour away).
pathguy
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Re: Technics SL-1200 to Prime?

Postby Dorian » Thu May 03, 2018 10:32 am

The Prime certainly doesn't feel light or cheap, that's for sure. I am running a Prime and a SS MIMC Star and love the combo. I've never heard a Technics in my system though, so I can't really help with your comparison.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
User avatar
Dorian
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1055
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:14 pm
Location: Westchester County, New York

Re: Technics SL-1200 to Prime?

Postby pathguy » Thu May 03, 2018 10:46 am

Dorian wrote:The Prime certainly doesn't feel light or cheap, that's for sure. I am running a Prime and a SS MIMC Star and love the combo. I've never heard a Technics in my system though, so I can't really help with your comparison.

Nice to hear you are enjoying the combination: it certainly is a gorgeous table!
pathguy
Jr. Member
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Re: Technics SL-1200 to Prime?

Postby Gshepardbuster » Fri May 04, 2018 5:19 am

I have a Classic Signature, which is very similar sonically to the Prime, I also have a Rega RP6 and a Technics Sl 1200 mk2. In my system the Classic Signature and Rega are better than the Technics. The Classic is huge improvement over the Technics. The RP6 being a solid level or so over the Technics. However I still enjoy the Technics as it has a euphoric sound and the nostalgia is off the hook. IMO you will be very happy moving up to a Prime.
Gshepardbuster
Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:09 am

Next

Return to Future VPI Owners

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

x