New Prime owner

New Prime owner

Postby Pythonman » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Hello , my name is Rick and after 30 years of reading reviews of all the cool high end turntables I finally have one of the best IMO. Throughout all those years I have admired and respected the VPI turntables perhaps the most so when recently shopping for a new analog rig VPI was on my short list. And come to think of it, they always have been.
Anyhow I ordered my Prime about a month ago with a Hana SH cartridge and assembled it and aligned the Hana all in about two hrs and got started spinning albums. And you know what? Seems like every spare minute of free time I have around the house since that happy day I steal away to my VPI so I can be astounded yet again by whichever record I have clamped to the platter.
I’ve been running and maintaining my turntables because I like vinyl so much since 1983? Bought the best I could afford but compared to the Prime oh brother. I have been missing out on sooo much musical information in the grooves. With the Prime, here is life, art, realism like I have never experienced. As good as digital can sound It never sounds as silky smooth nor as deep and layered. Nor as detailed for that matter.
Anyhow just wanted to say Hi and the wait was more than worth it. It’s never too late to get an upgrade like this.
VPI Prime, Hana SH, Parasound A21, Parasound P5, Parasound JC3+, Athena AS F2s
Pythonman

Re: New Prime owner

Postby bdp24 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:06 am

LP listening is different than other formats, isn't it Rick?! The birth of my LP library was in the early 60's (I'm almost old ;-), and I have records I've been listening to all these years, on many different players, including my new-to-me VPI's (an HW-19 and an Aries 1). They're like old valued friends. When I see TV news coverage of a flood or fire, my mind immediately races to figure how I would save my LP's if faced with a similar situation. I have been lucky to have never had to---Eric.
bdp24

Re: New Prime owner

Postby Pythonman » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:39 am

bdp24 wrote:LP listening is different than other formats, isn't it Rick?! The birth of my LP library was in the early 60's (I'm almost old ;-), and I have records I've been listening to all these years, on many different players, including my new-to-me VPI's (an HW-19 and an Aries 1). They're like old valued friends. When I see TV news coverage of a flood or fire, my mind immediately races to figure how I would save my LP's if faced with a similar situation. I have been lucky to have never had to---Eric.

Yes it is different. It’s whole new ballgame with the Prime compared to what I was using. Funny thing is I thought I was doing pretty good with what I had. Took my time and set them up carefully and took care of the styluses and vacuumed my records on occasion with my trusty Record Dr Mk 1 Lol. Thankfully I have all these NM records to listen to still as well as a trove of original like new Blue Notes, mostly mono I got awhile back from a neighbor bless her heart.
My old classical records provide astounding amounts of air and ambience as well as everything from delicate solo pizzicato violin to thundering tympanic rolls. Thankfully I never passed up the chance to snag as many of those albums up as I could over the years. And they are superb for breaking in moving coil cartridges.
VPI Prime, Hana SH, Parasound A21, Parasound P5, Parasound JC3+, Athena AS F2s
Pythonman

Return to Future VPI Owners