Soon to be part of the VPI Family

Re: Soon to be part of the VPI Family

Postby MOON » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 pm

One of my favorite albums as well. Mofi just announced EC - Unplugged in the 45 rpm 1 step. I have it ordered.
Classic 4, 12"3d, hrx pulley, 3 belts, dual pivot, sds, Pneuance NP-2 Peunmatic footers, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution PS, Audio Sensibility silver statement cable, Tru lift & sweep
MOON

Postby wachuko » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:25 pm

MOON wrote:One of my favorite albums as well. Mofi just announced EC - Unplugged in the 45 rpm 1 step. I have it ordered.

Where do you find those??? I see folks mention Mofi putting out this or that, but I can't seem to find a place to order them... I went to their website and can't see that one listed...

https://www.mofi.com/category-s/1850.ht ... =30&page=1
wachuko

Postby mreeter » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:13 am

wachuko wrote:
Dorian wrote:
wachuko wrote:Reading a bit more on the Periphery Ring clamp... looks like something worth getting to prolong cartridge life.

And looking at a few threads, best to go with the VPI version instead of Wayne's version.

I’m not sure about prolonging cartridge life but for me, it improves the sound quality. My understanding is that theoretically that is due to the increased “flywheel effect” from the extra weight providing greater rotational stability to the platter. Plus, you get the added benefit of it flattening any edge warps.

By the way, love the album in your original post. My daughter’s name is Layla so you can tell how much I like it!

A quick question on the Periphery Ring.... it weights 7lbs. Any changes required to the bearing? Uses the same bearing that will come with my turntable or will I have to buy a different one to account for the extra weight? :?:

No need for an additional bearing, the original ( that is in good shape ) should be just fine. One thing, you might keep your eyes open for a used Perf. Ring.
VPI Classic 3 Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
ModWright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Preamp
Parasound Halo JC5
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby Mr_Putty » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:29 pm

wachuko wrote:
MOON wrote:One of my favorite albums as well. Mofi just announced EC - Unplugged in the 45 rpm 1 step. I have it ordered.

Where do you find those??? I see folks mention Mofi putting out this or that, but I can't seem to find a place to order them... I went to their website and can't see that one listed...

Have you tried Music Direct? They have a fantastic audio catalogue.
Mr_Putty

Postby wachuko » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:39 pm

Mr_Putty wrote:
wachuko wrote:

Have you tried Music Direct? They have a fantastic audio catalogue.

Could not find that MoFi made Eric Clapton Unplugged... neither at the MoFi web site nor at Music Direct.

Do know, my copy is new... from Reprise. German pressing. I just want to try one from MoFi as everyone talks about the amazing quality pressing from them...

I went ahead and ordered these three...

Bread - Baby I'm-A Want You
Foreigner - 4
Billy Joel - Turnstiles

but I would love to have one pressed by them of the Eric Clapton Unplugged to compare.
wachuko

Postby wachuko » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:05 pm

mreeter wrote:No need for an additional bearing, the original ( that is in good shape ) should be just fine. One thing, you might keep your eyes open for a used Perf. Ring.

Thank you. That is great news. The plate and bearing is supposed to be new. So I should be good there then.

On a used Periphery Ring clamp, yes, that is definitely the way I would prefer for the savings. I keep checking here, usaudiomart, and on eBay for one. If there is any other place I should search for it, do share.

There is one in eBay right now but it has some small damage/blemish on the ring that rest on the album... from the photo, is does not look like it is flat on that spot... so I would rather avoid that one.

Thanks again.
wachuko

Postby madrac » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:42 pm

You could also check Audiogon.

I also believe you can set up a search on HiFiShark - it scans numerous used gear sites
Classic 1-3D arm, VTA tower,periphery ring,PE Eagle & RR, HW16.5, VAS NOVA, Soundsmith Paua, Manley Chinook,
Anthem MRX720, Rogue Atlas Magnum II, Sierra Towers w/ RAAL, Rythmik E15HPx2,
Audio Sensibility, Blue Jeans ICs, Symposium & Isoacoustics
madrac

Postby mreeter » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:26 pm

Also check the Classified Thread in Mat's Corner, good items come up for sale quite often.
VPI Classic 3 Signature SE
VPI SDS
VPI 16.5
ModWright LS-100 Linestage Preamp
ModWright PH 9.0 Phono Preamp
Parasound Halo JC5
VAS Audio Citation II Monoblock Amps
Polk Audio SDA SRS 2.3TL
Dual Rythmik F8 Subs
MIT S1 Shotgun/Audio Sensibility Wires
mreeter

Postby wachuko » Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:46 pm

mreeter wrote:Also check the Classified Thread in Mat's Corner, good items come up for sale quite often.

madrac wrote:You could also check Audiogon.

I also believe you can set up a search on HiFiShark - it scans numerous used gear sites

I will add those to the search list. Thank you.
wachuko

Postby TerryVinyl » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:20 am

Congrats on the ScoutMaster Refurb! I originally years ago bought a Scout Jr and recently also upgraded to the ScoutMaster Refurb and I am loving it! Big Improvement over the Scout Jr, and that table was no slouch. Have been playing it like crazy and totally enjoying it! Played with different mats from the VPI felt, cork, Herbies and Funk Mat and actually prefer not mat. Running the Hana ML and the sound is beautiful! Might later venture into some other cartridges, but needed the better hardware first!
TerryVinyl

PreviousNext

Return to Future VPI Owners