New Owner - Most overmatched phono amp?

New Owner - Most overmatched phono amp?

Postby Rick Germain » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:22 pm

Hello all... well after several years of false starts and inaction I'm about to join the family with a (used) PRIME. Included is a Benz-Micro Glider low output MC cartridge. When I get it home it will be going into a PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium integrated and out to a pair of KEF LS-50s. My current tt (ProJect Debut Carbon with a MM cart) is going through a Schiit Mani phono preamp which is my only concern at this point. The Mani is MC compatible but I'm already thinking about the inevitable upgrade path.

Open for suggestions for a Phono Pre that will fit in with the rest of the crew.

So that's my story...
Rick Germain

Re: New Owner - Most overmatched phono amp?

Postby Brf » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:13 pm

I can highly recommend the following at various price points. All of which I own or have owned.

iFi Audio Micro iPhono2 ($600) giant killer for the price
Gold Note PH10 ($1,500) which is a very musical, versatile, and affordable phono stage.
The VPI Voyager ($2,500) which can handle two phono inputs
Manley Chinock ($2,500) tubed based
Herron VTPH-2A (3,500) Phono Preamp
Manley Steelhead ($8,400)
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:44 pm

Congrats Rick. As you can see from my signature, there are many similarities between our setups. Also, I owned the iFi iPhono2 that Brf recommends and I currently own the Herron. I auditioned the Herron against a Sutherland Duo and one another unit that I can’t remember. The Herron won hands down. It is so wide open it’s unbelievable. The iPhono2 is great for the money though and very flexible.
VPI Prime #959 & Outer Ring| SoundSmith MIMC Star | Herron VTPH-2A | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated | KEF LS-50s | SOTA Condor & Roadrunner | Audio Sensibility Cables | Symposium Ultra | AQ Niagara 1000 | Stillpoints LPI | Focal Clear
Dorian

Postby MOON » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:10 am

Congratulations on the Prime purchase. You should also add the Simaudio combination of the 310 lp / 320 power supply combination. You can find both used from time to time on http://www.canuckaudiomart.com or usaudiomart.com Two of my friends use that combo.

Here's the 310 on usaudiomart.com
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649 ... lr-cables/ Brand new it's 2K. You could then buy the matched power supply when one comes up or buy it new.

I run a Simaudio 610lp which sounds spectacular. It is however very pricey.
Classic 4, 12"3d, hrx pulley, 3 belts, dual pivot, sds, Pneuance NP-2 Peunmatic footers, Lyra Kloes, Waynes Perifery Ring 3.8 lb, Stillpoint LPI , Simaudio 610 Evolution PS, Audio Sensibility silver statement cable, Tru lift & sweep
MOON

Postby Rick Germain » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:55 am

Thanks for the responses. I have a lot to consider. I’m going to plug into the Mani when I get it home, put on some records and meditate on it. At this point I think my ‘financial advisor’ may tell me I’m tapped out for a bit...those suggestions are both appreciated and tempting.
Rick Germain

Postby DeeCee » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:32 am

If you want something "super basic" (inexpensive) just to get by you may try the Graham Slee 3 (for MC carts.)

It's deadly accurate as well as dead quiet, but don't look for "warmth." I suggest the healthier power supply for it, however. Its major issue is the lack of flexibility as far as settings are concerned,

Happy Listening!
DeeCee
VPI Scout 2/JMW-9/Benz Micro Wood SL/Graham Slee 3 & PSU1/Sony DVP-S7000/Schiit Audio Bifrost Uber/Sonic Euphoria PLC/Aragon 4004 Mk II/Aerial Acoustics Model 7
DeeCee

Postby Rick Germain » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:35 pm

OP here...Ended up with a Voyager and am a very happy camper. Thanks to all who provided input.
Rick Germain

Return to Future VPI Owners