Looking for advice about my first VPI turntable purchase

Looking for advice about my first VPI turntable purchase

Postby Handinglove » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:14 pm

Hi everyone, I have an opportunity to purchase an HW 19 MK III comes with a roadrunner speed control, Sama, poly spring replacement, inverted bearings and comes with an simiko premiere mmt arm no cart for around 1900. Would I be better off spending a little more and go with the prime scout? I want this to be the last TT I buy so need to choose the best I can get for round 2,000. Thank you for any help.
Handinglove

Re: Looking for advice about my first VPI turntable purchase

Postby Handinglove » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:52 am

Nothing? anybody?
Handinglove

Postby Brf » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 am

Although the HW-19 is a nice table, personally, I would spend a bit more and look for a used Classic table.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby spinblackcircle » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:39 am

Handinglove wrote:Hi everyone, I have an opportunity to purchase an HW 19 MK III comes with a roadrunner speed control, Sama, poly spring replacement, inverted bearings and comes with an simiko premiere mmt arm no cart for around 1900. Would I be better off spending a little more and go with the prime scout? I want this to be the last TT I buy so need to choose the best I can get for round 2,000. Thank you for any help.

Not too long ago that table would have been half that price. Since VPI has a limited supply of HW-19 parts I would heed BRF's advice and look for a Classic, Prime Scout, Scoutmaster, etc. There are plenty out there. If you scan stretch a little bit, Primes regularly sell for $2500 on the used market.

Right now you are at an advantage, with the release of the HW-40 40th Anniversary table, there will be lots of used inventory available if you can wait til early 2019.

Music Direct has been posting their trade-ins on Audiogon lately at pretty good prices and there are plenty of other dealers with trade-ins if you don't want to deal with a private sale.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby Handinglove » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:46 am

Thank you, everyone, for the information. Do you think with the upgrades that have been done to the HW I am looking at will I hear a difference between the TT's you mentioned and the HW? Also, will I need to buy a speed controller for the classic, Scoutmaster etc?
Handinglove

Postby Handinglove » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:21 pm

I posted a reply but did see it posted. So I will try again. If I go with the classic or prime etc. will I hear a big difference over the HW? Also, will I also need to buy a speed controller for the other models?
Handinglove

Postby soundwatts » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:29 am

@handinglove

A friend of mine just sold his HW for a new Prime Scout and the difference in sound quality was very noticeable. Both with the ortofon quintet bronze.
Prime Signature
Ortofon Quintet Black
Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum ii
Manley Chinook Phono Stage
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Bluesound Vault 2
CAL Icon Mk2 CD Player (no longer used after purchasing new Scout)
soundwatts

Postby Handinglove » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:30 am

Thank you everyone for you help. I picked up my HW 19 Mk3 yesterday. It came with the SAMA, roadrunner speed control the upgrade for the springs and a q up. I have not hooked it up yet. I need to clean it and set up the cart. Thanks again.
Handinglove

Return to Future VPI Owners