Shunyata King Cobra CX Power Cord

Shunyata King Cobra CX Power Cord

Postby 930turbo » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:02 pm

Hi guys ,

What is the science w/ this power cords . A friend of mine loaned his pair of King Cobra CX that his selling to try w/ my ARC REF 5SE and REF PHONO 2 SE after noting that I was still using the stock power cords .
They really do make a difference ( wider / bigger soundstage , blacker black background , more stable palpable image,better low level detail retrieval and staggering dynamic contrast ) . I know power cords do make a difference but I was surprised that these King Cobra’s really elevates one’s component to another level. And it was just plugged to my industrial power conditioner.
Attachments
84C8C59B-03F3-4F61-A019-6EC273994985.jpeg
84C8C59B-03F3-4F61-A019-6EC273994985.jpeg (729.24 KiB) Viewed 704 times
VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Re: Shunyata King Cobra CX Power Cord

Postby Orchids1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:20 am

There is a lot of internet discussion and debate on the benefit, or lack thereof, of audiophile power cords. The consensus, which doesn’t represent everone’s opinion, seems to be that any perceived improvement is attributable to listener expectations. That’s consistent with my experience, as I can’t detect a sonic difference. On the other hand, audiophile power cords usually have more secure connections and don’t loosen over time, which is a good thing. While dealers and manufacturers use them at shows, that may be because they look cool. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 sub, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby 930turbo » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:09 am

Hi Rich,

Thank you very much for your reply . I was in the same boat as you regarding the changes / sonic improvement brought about by using expensive power cords . How I wish that I did not try it in my system. It was an eye opener for me .

Best regards ,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby thegage » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:20 am

Orchids1 wrote:The consensus, which doesn’t represent everyone’s opinion, seems to be that any perceived improvement is attributable to listener expectations.

Can't be a consensus if there's not a general agreement with the conclusion, and there are many people who do find that power cords more than mere audiophile jewelry or just a more secure connection. My advice is always to try one and listen for a while. If it doesn't make a difference for you then you have money to spend elsewhere.

John K.
TNT 3, 10" 3D arm, Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star, Classic Platter, VPI Ring, Stillpoints LPI, TerraCones feet, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Moon 310LP, Parasound JC2, SMc DNA 0.5, GE Triton 2+, Grover Empress cables, SRA and Symposium Platforms
thegage

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:04 pm

Orchids1 wrote:There is a lot of internet discussion and debate on the benefit, or lack thereof, of audiophile power cords. The consensus, which doesn’t represent everone’s opinion, seems to be that any perceived improvement is attributable to listener expectations. That’s consistent with my experience, as I can’t detect a sonic difference. On the other hand, audiophile power cords usually have more secure connections and don’t loosen over time, which is a good thing. While dealers and manufacturers use them at shows, that may be because they look cool. Rich

Wow.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby JimTimP » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:58 pm

I'm sorry, but I'm a believer in the 'weakest link' principle when applied to power cabling.

If you are running 14 Gauge Romex/1.5mm (standard 15/20 Amp House Wiring [USA/Europe]) from the circuit breaker box to the outlet, and we'll say for the sake of argument, it's 15.5 feet (5 meters) of cable, how in the wide, wide world of physics is the last 3 feet of cable gonna make a difference? How can it increase/better/improve on what is just not there (or in some regards - there)?

I do not care if you are using an isolation transformer. I do not care if you are using anything less than a power regenerator. And even with a power regenerator there are limits, but cleaner power is available. So some sonic increase is plausible.

When someone can answer questions one and two, I'll invest in Anaconda sized, multi thousand dollar power cables.

Until then, I will continue to use my well made, heavy gauge, Amazon, $60 specials. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074Z ... UTF8&psc=1

And no, I did not hear a sonic improvement when I replaced the 16 Ga Chinese made, and included with the device cables. I did near a sonic improvement when I installed my PS Audio P5!
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:17 am

Jim, it sounds like you’ve already bought in to the high end power cord game. Here’s a description of the cables you bought from the Amazon site: “This high quality AC power cable handles high current and effectively reduces noise of entire system with wider dynamics, improved rhythm and overall gains beyond expectation.” Why not use the cords that came with your gear if there is no difference?
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby elader » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:00 am

so my breaker box is directly under my stereo in the basement. Should I run some 8 gauge cable up from the box to a dedicated outlet? I have some unused breakers in the panel. It kind of makes me want to ask about the cable from the box to the utility line and back to the power station...
VPI Prime, BenzMicro Glider, VPI SDS, Cinemag SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A, Primaluna Prologue 5
REGA Apollo R, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
KEF R300, pangea stands, SVS SB12 sub
elader

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:00 am

Gage, There does seem to be general, but not complete, agreement, similar to what one finds with digital connection cords. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 sub, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby JimTimP » Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:33 am

elader wrote:so my breaker box is directly under my stereo in the basement. Should I run some 8 gauge cable up from the box to a dedicated outlet? I have some unused breakers in the panel. It kind of makes me want to ask about the cable from the box to the utility line and back to the power station...

I would run a dedicated circuit using 10 gauge.
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on own arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, PS Audio P5
JimTimP

Next

Return to General Chat