Other Hobbies?

Re: Other Hobbies?

Postby Packgrog » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:44 am

Played SWTOR for a while. Only MMO I ever really played. I prefer more involved CRPGs like KotOR, Baldur's Gate, etc. I tend to only play during frustration downtime from tinkering with my analog setup.

I rarely just LISTEN to vinyl. I generally record it straight to hi-res digital. It allows me to better compare how equipment changes impact the sound, and allows me to effectively listen to my vinyl at the office, on the road, or at the gym (when I actually get my ass over there). Improving the sound I can get from budget-limited equipment and cleaning process improvements is definitely my primary hobby, though, as is sharing my experiences with others so that they can avoid making my mistakes. :P

I used to build my own computers (I'm a programmer by trade), but that got tedious. Taking up the vinyl ripping/needledropping hobby allowed me to scratch the tinkering itch. I've long wanted to take up woodworking, but I lack the space and equipment (and time) in my townhouse.
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:12 am

I learned this by general observation and participation over years of multiple hobbies.

If one is into hi end audio it is very common that you are likely to also enjoy

Photography
Radio Control Planes, helocopters, etc.
Tropical fish

I partake in all of these, but a bit less so with RC these days
Letsmakeadeal

Postby Orchids1 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:36 am

After retirement, I joined the executive committee of a manager that runs a couple of funds and has launched an innovative fintech company. While my work is financially rewarding, I’m involved mostly because it is intellectually challenging, collaborative, and benefits people. It may not be a conventional hobby, but it’s great fun for me and has expanded my understanding of things that affect our lives and my knowledge of technology and other fascinating subjects that had escaped me. However, I haven’t lost my interest in boating, fishing, skiing, or, most important, my grandchildren. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 sub, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby JohnCh » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:57 am

Another car guy here. My passion centers on racing, sports and GT cars from the 50's and 60's, but anything where the focus is on driver involvement rather than replicating a video game gets my attention (i.e. I'm more analog than digital with cars too). I have a couple of older Porsches (993 C2 and 951) a track modified NA Miata, and a Westfield which is similar to a Caterham/Lotus 7. The latter is my stress reliever when the roads are dry; 1225lb with fuel, 210hp, no doors, no creature comforts, and the only driving aid is attached to your right ankle :)

-John
VPI Classic Signature, VAS Nova Signature, CIAudio PEQ1 MKII w/AC15 MKII power supply, Oppo BDP-105, ModWright SWL 9.0 Anniversary Edition, CIAudio E200S, Magnepan 1.7i w/Mye stands, REL Strata III
JohnCh

Postby Mat » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:04 pm

So true about the photography! That is Harry's other passion and the cameras he has, good Lord!

I recently got into a new MMO thanks to someone else in the audio industry, Neverwinter free to play 8-)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Packgrog » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:41 pm

*chuckle* I'm in the wrong group here.

Typical VPI Owner: I just retired from the billion dollar company that I started so that I can run a non-profit and rebuild performance automobiles.

Me: I like Legos.

:P
VPI Scout Jr., Audiomods Classic, Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena, RME Babyface Pro
Packgrog

Postby JimmyL » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:38 pm

I have many interests and always looking to take [too much] on!

Fall/winter - Audio
Spring/Summer - yachting around the PNW (US and Canada)

Generally, these two don't mix well and nice to have separate hobbies throughout the year.
VPI HW19 mod’ed MK3 w/10.5i, Ortofon MC25FL, Musical Paradise MP501 V2 Integrated Tube amp, MP Tube Phono Pre, MP Tube D1 DAC, Harbeth P3esr’s
JimmyL

Postby WntrMute » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:31 pm

What is a MMO, SWTOR, CRPGs and KotOR?
WntrMute

Postby Packgrog » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:36 pm

MMO = Massively multiplayer online game
SWTOR = Star Wars: The Old Republic
CRPG = Computer Role Playing Game
KotOR = Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
LOL = Laughing Out Loud :P

Thank you for making me feel young again. I generally feel like a fossil in my career. :lol:
Packgrog

Postby spinblackcircle » Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Letsmakeadeal wrote:I learned this by general observation and participation over years of multiple hobbies.

If one is into hi end audio it is very common that you are likely to also enjoy

Photography
Radio Control Planes, helocopters, etc.
Tropical fish

I partake in all of these, but a bit less so with RC these days

Can barely find time to play all the records I've been buying let alone have another hobby but when time permit's I'd like to get back into R/C as my son is finally old enough to stop breaking them and start fixing them himself.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat