Playing 10 inch and 7 inch records on aluminum platter

Playing 10 inch and 7 inch records on aluminum platter

Postby Arnold_Layne » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:01 pm

I'm sure anyone here who plays smaller than 12" records knows my frustration. Playing 7" and 10" records can be a bit of a pain on my classic Classic 2. I say classic Classic due to it being the older style with front motor, side switch and the dampening fluid bearing cup on the tonearm pivot. Anyways, it's got the aluminum platter and removing smaller records from the platter is a pain. I'm curious had anyone experiment with using old turntable record mats that have indentation for easily removing smaller records?
I have adjustable VTA tower so raising and lowering tonearm height is not an issue.
VPI Classic 2 (Front Motor, Side Switch)
HRX Outer ring and Clamp
Soundsmith VPI Zephyr
Sutherland Ph3d
Arnold_Layne

Re: Playing 10 inch and 7 inch records on aluminum platter

Postby adeep42 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:44 pm

Understand your frustration. I have a small collection of older 10" Jazz LP's. I feel they represent something seminal in the arc of jazz recording. I do use a deerskin mat on my turntable and find that is a big help in removing 10" inch records. You do have to be very careful when cueing up smaller size recordings. If you miss the lead-in groove, you can do some real serious cartridge or stylus damage.
Prime #631
Symposium Footer Damping Inserts
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42

Return to General Chat