Moved from HW-19 JR to TNT Mk3

Moved from HW-19 JR to TNT Mk3

Postby JimmyL » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:39 pm

I've had a HW19 for a few years and loved it as my first VPI table. I just bought a TNT MK3 with plans on installing my Audioquest PT-9 Extreme tone arm (best I have and can afford for now) with a Ortofon MC-FL25 cart. Any comments on this and/or suggestions on a possible upgrade tone arm that I should be looking for in the future?

I haven't yet received this table and don't believe it's had any upgrades done to it. Suggestions on upgrade path to follow?
JimmyL

Re: Moved from HW-19 JR to TNT Mk3

Postby 930turbo » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 pm

Hi ,

Congratulation on your purchase of the TNT 3 . The TNT 3 itself is a much better table than the HW19 JR ( I had owned the 19 JR and the 19 MK 4 ) Regarding the Turntable upgrade’s recommended
1. ADS or the SDS
2. Single Motor Flywheel Assembly
3. Suspension ( what did it come with ) If w/ springs change it to the Ball type suspension. )
4. Classic Aluminum Platter , HR-X Record Weight , Periphery Ring
5. Turntable flatform that can support the size and weight of the TNT .
One can do this one step at a time . Priority would be the proper flatform .
Regarding the tonearm , go for the JMW 10.5 or the 12.7 arm . But it depending on how much you would want to spend. For the cartridge I would suggest a VAS Nova MC cartridge .
Enjoy the TNT 3 at its present state then upgrade once the funds are available , so you would be able to appreciate / listen/ hear the difference .

Hope this helps ,

VPI TNT 6,w/Kuzma Stogi Ref 313 VTA,Benz Micro Gullwing SLR,VPI HR-X 12.7 Lyra Kleos,ARC REF5SE line stage, REF PHONO 2SE,SP10Mk2preamp,ARC REF610T monoblocks,a pair of D79B amps,EC21active electronic X over, Duntech C5000 Princess spkr,Magnepan MG3A spkr
930turbo

Postby Brf » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:09 am

Great table and very versatile.

I wouldn't think of upgrading the table until I've got to know how it sounds after an extended period. Once familiarized, you then can decide what attributes you would like to improve and forum member can give your their opinion. 930 gave a very good list of possible upgrades.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby thegage » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:48 am

Having gone from a MK-IV to TNT I'd comment the following.

Pretty sure the ball footers are long gone. Look to offerings from Eden Sound for their Bear Paws or TerraStone footers. If your TNT platter has the capability to use the periphery ring, get that instead of the Single Motor Flywheel. A Symposium Svelte Shelf is a relatively inexpensive upgrade.

John K.
thegage

Postby JimmyL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:04 pm

Thanks to each of you for your advice. Much appreciated.

I will look into these changes as time and $$ permit. I was going to chase down the idea of upgrading my HW19 as I do love what I got from it but it appeared that by the time I changed the platter, plinth etc. it was less expensive to just move up to a better table. The simple upgrade in tables sounds like it should be a big improvement and the upgrading of this one looks to be an easier path. Besides, the TNT looks cool to my eye and I already know I like the VPI sound/performance/upgradability.

For shelf isolation, I have a unique situation where my audio equipment is all located in a separate concrete room away from the treated listening room. It's actually a wine cellar (drank all the wine...) and converted it to my equipment room. TT isolation isn't an issue as there is virtually no sound waves, foot falls or vibrations. Not sure how much this improved things as the back-to-back test wasn't possible but, heck, it couldn't hurt!

So, my TNT will be able to do what it can do on that end but I'll still want to make changes. :) Where is the best place to get upgrade parts? It seems to be scattered info to find and I'm sure you all have your favorites.

Cheers,
Jim
JimmyL

Postby WntrMute » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:03 pm

If the ball suspension is shot, there are springs in the towers or even the inflatable air bladders are present you can use either real handballs for softish suspension or Herbies-Lab Medicine balls for an almost, but not quite, solid suspension. I have the handballs in one TNT and the Medicine balls in the other.
WntrMute

Postby Brf » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:31 pm

The first thing I would look into is the condition of the thrust plate and bearing ball. Low $$, big improvement.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby JimmyL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:04 pm

I do appreciate everyone's comments/suggestions.
I'll have to see what the condition of this table is but I'm told it's near perfect. It hasn't had any mod's so I suspect that would mean it has springs vs. ball footers so that will have to be looked at.

I do have a couple of questions;
SDS - looks to be widely agreed to have a big gain on these tables. Is there a particular model that is suited to the TNT. Seems I read a few notes on not matching up with some TT's?
Tonearms - I see most VPI's using the JMW arms. Wondered if any have success with others or are these widely accepted as the best?
Ball suspension - Original ball footers are no longer available. Was there something special about these or are handballs suitable?
Thrust plate - can you share with me what mod you'd make and how?

Thanks,
Jim
Last edited by JimmyL on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimmyL

Postby JimmyL » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:28 pm

WntrMute wrote:If the ball suspension is shot, there are springs in the towers or even the inflatable air bladders are present you can use either real handballs for softish suspension or Herbies-Lab Medicine balls for an almost, but not quite, solid suspension. I have the handballs in one TNT and the Medicine balls in the other.

Which of the two do you prefer and why?
JimmyL

Postby WntrMute » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:45 am

JimmyL wrote:
WntrMute wrote:If the ball suspension is shot, there are springs in the towers or even the inflatable air bladders are present you can use either real handballs for softish suspension or Herbies-Lab Medicine balls for an almost, but not quite, solid suspension. I have the handballs in one TNT and the Medicine balls in the other.

Which of the two do you prefer and why?

In my upstairs system where the TNT MK-3ish is located, the TT sits on a wall mounted shelf with a door in the wall. The shelf is a large butcher block I had custom made and that rests on three acorn nut capped set-screws for adjustment. The wall shakes a tiny amount when The Wife slams that door-which she loves to do! The softer handballs add enough give in the suspension that The Wife can slam that door all she wants and nary a skip from the record. The TNT MK-6 sits on a 300 pound granite machinist plate and stand that then is located in a basement on a poured concrete floor. I have the harder Herbie's Lab medicine balls in there. I couldn't hear and difference between the two in that system as it is pretty inert.

In looking into the handball thing I discovered there are harder ones (red label) and slightly softer ones (white label). Both cost around $7.50 each and can be ordered from https://www.ushandball.org/index.php/shop/product/1-usha-21-handballs
WntrMute

Next

Return to General Chat