First time in a stereo store ???

First time in a stereo store ???

Postby 10ovr » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:43 pm

The first stereo store I walked into was Pacific Stereo back in 1972 in Mountain View Calif,, I was 15 years old and man I was in Heaven ,Still have the first Pioneer I bought there ,So what was you first stereo store ? To bad PS crashed and burned back in the 80s ,,,, http://www.nytimes.com/1986/06/30/busin ... tereo.html
10ovr

Re: First time in a stereo store ???

Postby DrumTemp » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:55 pm

The first for me was Radio Shack ~1972 for a pair of Minimus-2 speakers. Moving ahead though, in 1977 there was an audio store in Livermore CA (the name escapes me) owned and operated by Walt Davies. Yes, Walt Davies of the LAST Factory (in Livermore). I purchased a Yamaha CA-1000 int. amplifier. Great little amp! :)
Avenger Reference, Graham Phantom III, Benz Micro LP S, AI Mod 3B, Pass Labs X250.8, Vandersteen Quatro Wood CT
DrumTemp

Postby 10ovr » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:23 pm

DrumTemp wrote:The first for me was Radio Shack ~1972 for a pair of Minimus-2 speakers. Moving ahead though, in 1977 there was an audio store in Livermore CA (the name escapes me) owned and operated by Walt Davies. Yes, Walt Davies of the LAST Factory (in Livermore). I purchased a Yamaha CA-1000 int. amplifier. Great little amp! :)

Never met him but I know of him and his products http://thelastfactory.com/about-us/
10ovr

Postby gene9p » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:53 am

a little corner store in Mt Vernon , NY in 1975 . Bought an Onkyo tx2500 receiver that is still in prime condition in my folks home. I foolishly dumped by Dual turntable 8 years ago as I had not played it in over a decade. I also sold my Audio Analyst 3 way speakers in the 90's. The 3 were a package deal that was part of an Election day sale in store. Remember when election day was the BIG electronics sale day. I cannot remember the name of the store. It closed in the late 80's I believe...too bad....now so many have followed in closing down.
Last edited by gene9p on Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VPI CLASSIC 2,WALNUT,+ CLASSIC 3 ARM + SDS, SS AIDA Cartridge| MANLEY CHINOOK| MACINTOSH C220 Tube Pre Amp + MC-152 amp | KRELL Showcase CD Player| BRYSTON BDA-1 Dac| HARBETH 7es-3 SPEAKERS| MORROW AUDIO + AUDIO SENSIBILTY Interconnects + Speaker Cables|
gene9p

Postby Letsmakeadeal » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:11 am

My first experience as a customer was Hillcrest Hi Fidelity (Lovers Lane location) in Dallas in 1970. The main store was on Hillcrest. After the original owners died or retired? they sold the store which spelled its eventual doom and they ultimately closed down many years ago. I think I was 16 and one of my mentors in audio other than my Dad was Les Sims the manager there. He actually helped me purchased my beautiful new Sherwood receiver on credit. Imagine giving credit to a kid based on a signature alone, although he did know my dad. I think it cost 350.00. I had a part time job from the time I could to pay for dates and stereo equipment. How times have changed. I think they let me pay it off over 6 months..my first credit responsibility...My Dad had given me his Frasier hand me down bookshelf speakers and bought me a Dual turntable for my birthday. It was a wonderful time back then. I was so excited. This was the beginning of a long life in HiFi :D
Letsmakeadeal

Postby elader » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:52 pm

Lafayette Radio and Electronics, brooklyn, 1973
VPI Prime, Benz Micro Glider, Phoenix tach, VPI SDS, Parks SUT
Audible Illusions Modulus 3A pre, Primaluna Prologue Five Amp
REGA Apollo, PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
KEF R300 sprks, pangea stands, SVS SB12 sub
Bluejean audio cables, Silnote AC cables
elader

Postby TomD » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:16 pm

My first visit was to Magnolia HiFi in the mid 70s for a pair of headphones when I was around 12. At the time, there was only one store in the Magnolia neighborhood of Seattle owned by a local businessman.

The store and owner are long gone now, but the name has been through a few iterations and eventually purchased by Best Buy.
VPI Prime Signature w/SDS, VAS Nova Sig., Parasound JC3 Phono, Parasound P7 Pre, Pass Labs XA30.8 Amplifier, Salk Exotica Monitors, 2X Salk 15" Subwoofers
TomD

Postby 10ovr » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:46 pm

All us old timers have fond memories of these places,,Young kids today don't know what they missed :D
10ovr

Postby JamesV » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:48 pm

Pacific Stereo in Torrance California. Got an AR turntable for $60.
VPI HR-X w/3DR arm - Ortofon PW Ti
VAC Signature MKIIaSE Pre with VAC phono pre
VAC Phi 200's
Magico S5's
All cables-Synergistic Research
Aurender music server
All Synergistic room tweaks-PHT for the phono cart. Audeze LCD-2 and Schiit Audio Mjolnir 2
JamesV

Return to General Chat