First time in a stereo store ???

Re: First time in a stereo store ???

Postby Orchids1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:10 am

My first time was when my oldest son (then 4 or 5, now 38) and I walked into a small shop down by the harbor in Mamaroneck, New York, where we lived. We discovered that the store carried only the highest of high end components, including a pair of huge, beautifully-sculptural, multi-box speakers configured from different exotic woods made by Wilson that were driven by two power amps, each as big as a cocktail table. The salesman, who acurately judged that we were not potential buyers, was rather dismissive and somewhat condescending. But, the store owner was not. In particular, the owner was delighted by my son, and offered to demonstrate the Wilson speaker system. I’ll never forget the experience. My son, Ted, and I had never heard anything remotely like the wonderful, powerful sound that poured from the speakers. I don’t think I have since. The owner was tickled by our amazement and delight, and let us listen for a long time. Even after all the years and life changes, Ted and I still get a kick out of remembering that day. Rich
Avenger (w/mods), SS Paua, Phoenix Eagle psu + tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre1G3, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, JL e112 subs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac; Amazon Echo
Orchids1

Postby adeep42 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:12 pm

Sam Goody's in Philadelphia in summer of 1959. Was down there visiting family. Left the store with an Eico 12 Watt mono integrated kit, a Stevens book shelf speaker, a Garrard changer and a GE cartridge.
Prime #631+Dual Pivot
Eden Sound TerraCone Footers
Wayne's Outer Ring
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon A-95
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
adeep42