Synergistic Research XOT Carbon Xover Transducer

Synergistic Research XOT Carbon Xover Transducer

Postby adeep42 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Some great and interesting discussion about the Synergistic Research PHTs.

Has anyone had any experience with their XOT Carbon Crossover transducers? They're a real interesting company for sure occupying that narrow space between audiophile snake oil and real sonic improvement.
Prime #631
Symposium Footer Damping Inserts
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
PrimaLuna Dialogue Premium Pre & Mono-blocks
Martin Logan Summit X's
Cambridge Audio 752BD
adeep42

Re: Synergistic Research XOT Carbon Xover Transducer

Postby Gary1955 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:29 pm

Hi Adeep, I see you have a PrimaLuna Dialogue pre-amp- how do you like it?
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby adeep42 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi Gary, Just updated the signature. PrimaLuna pre and amps have only been in the system for two days. So far, I'm delighted. Have been solid state for a long time through a number of integrateds. Spent a lot of time and research before making this move. Have you seen the recent Stereophile review? I think the reviewer was Robert Deutsch. My first inclination was a tube integrated, but I got carried away.

As stated above, it's only been a short while. Barely broken in, but I'm liking the sonics a lot. Seems to be considerably more bass extension than my former Conrad Johnson CA200. It sure is built like a tank, and about as heavy. Major iron in there. so many interesting features. I think I'll be very happy. Only time will tell if I can avoid the upgrade virus.

Will be happy to comment further after listening to the combo for a longer time period.

Alan
Prime #631
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
Martin Logan Summit X's
Cambridge Audio 752BD
adeep42

Postby Orchids1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:45 am

These days, few SR products are dismissed as snake oil, but most are, indeed, mysterious, and SR does not disclose much in the way of empirical test results. Nonetheless, Stereophile, TAS, Hifi Plus and plenty of other respected reviewers, as well as Forum members, have reported significant sonic benefits. SR must be on to something. I believe SR has a return policy, so why not give the XOT a test drive in your system. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Johnny » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:49 am

Orchids1 wrote: I believe SR has a return policy, so why not give the XOT a test drive in your system. Rich

That's the key for me. If a manufacture has a money back guarantee if not satisfied, then I don't care if I don't "understand" why it should work because in my system, it does or doesn't.
Johnny

Postby Gary1955 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:32 am

Thanks Alan, I have the Mystere CA-21 pre-amp which I've owned for several years and is made by the same company as PrimaLuna (Durob). Very happy with it but am thinking about trading it in for the Dialogue preamp which has dual mono, A/C offset killer, and remote control. Both units are built like tanks. My Mystere been very reliable. Kevin Deal from UpScale Audio says it will be a little quieter than the Mystere, which is already super quiet. The only thing I did with the Mystere was to put in a high-end fuse which further improved the sound, but I'm still on the original tubes.
VPI HR-X rim drive w/magnetic drive platter, 3D Ref. 12" tonearm, Lyra Titan-i cartridge, Graham Slee Reflex M & Elevator, tri-amped horn system w/electronic crossover.
Gary1955

Postby adeep42 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:14 pm

Rich and Johnny, Thanks for your comments. I have to agree about the money back guarantee. Should I decide to try them, I'll certainly post.

Gary, the PrimaLuna is very quiet. The dual mono, hard wiring, AC Offset Killer plus Automatic Self Biasing were all very important to me as well. The remote sealed the deal.

A.
Prime #631
Hide in the Sound Mat
Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
Bob's Devices VPI SUT
Bottlehead Eros PhonoPre
Phoenix Eagle & Tach
Martin Logan Summit X's
Cambridge Audio 752BD
adeep42