Sussurro in the house

Sussurro in the house

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:45 pm

Out with the Purpleheart and in with a brand new Soundsmith Sussurro MkII. Now I'm back to using anti skate! Ain't this hobby something else? I think I need my head examined.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Re: Sussurro in the house

Postby JimTimP » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:17 pm

I have a Voice. I can tell you Peter's cartridges are very picky on alignment. But once dialed in, you should love it. I love mine.

Funny, I could not add anti-skate to mine. I needed to add 'skate'. When I used Peter's method of making that adjustment, the arm would travel rapidly to the outside of the disk with AS disabled on my Prime Sig. Yes, it's level. And yes, I do have the dual pivot installed.

I'm jealous. If I had the dough back then, I was looking at the Sussurro. Well, if money was not a constraint, I'd go for the Helios.

Enjoy!
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Manley Stingray II Amp, Yaqin SD-32A CD Player, Zestos Andros PS 1 Phono Preamp, VPI Prime Sig, ADS & 16.5, Soundsmith Voice & Lyra Delos on Separate Arms, Zaph ZRT 2.5 Spkr, Homemade 10" Subs, JTP Cables
JimTimP

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:02 am

Thanks Jim. The sibilance issues I was having with the Purpleheart are gone now. I believe this cartridge is a better match for the VPI unipivot tonearm.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby Orchids1 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:04 am

Jim, The additional antiskate force that Peter sometimes recommends is intended to apply only to certain Soundsmith cartridges mounted on VPI unipivot arms. With respect to other arms, his opinion is that they typically have way too much inherent skate compensation. When you installed the dual pivot, your arm most likely fell into the second category. There's a little discussion on his website as to how to deal with excessive antiskate, but I'd give him a call or shoot him an email to see what he suggests, unless you've somehow compensated for what sounds like excessive antiskate. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby oldskooldude » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:43 pm

I too have a Voice. I just left a big one on the Mechanical Anti-Skate thread of this forum. Dialing in anti-skate for the VPI/SoundSmith combo is a must IMO. Much better sound stage and cleaner mids and highs. The channel balance got way better as well.
oldskooldude

Return to General Chat