Is it me?

Is it me?

Postby JimTimP » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:48 pm

I don't know. Maybe I'm being a snob or arrogant, but I can't stand being over on Vinyl Engine.

I joined up to check into their manual database and other reference materials. I also started checking out their forums and have found a wealth of trash and completely wrong information there. The vast majority is myth, innuendo and witchcraft. From Anti-Skating to hum resolution, to seeing the release of a stylus force gauge as a marketing scam to rip off the consumer because they have "calibrated counter-weights". Someone even posted a Pic of the counter-weight from a SL-1200 series (now, I admit I had an SL-1200 many years ago. A good turntable for the masses, but not a great table by any stretch of the imagination).

Is it me, or any of you here also seem to see the same over there? Do you even bother anymore? Yes, I am questioning why I do.
Jim

P.S., I also noticed they have dedicated forums to about every major manufacturer of tables - except VPI. Wonder why?
Teac X-2000R, Otari MX-5050 BIII-2, Yaqin MC-100B Amp, SD-32A CD, ProJect DS2 Pre, VPI Prime Sig W/Soundsmith Voice/Lyra Delos on 2 Arms, ADS, Periphery Clamp. Madisound Zaph ZRT 2.5 Speakers, Teac 2A Mixer and MB-20 Bridge, Nobsound Phone Amp,
JimTimP

Re: Is it me?

Postby Analog Aecad » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:32 pm

JimTimP wrote:...I joined up to check into their manual database and other reference materials.

I go to specific sites for specific info as you noted, that would be the only reason for me to visit. If you find most of what's in their forums to be useless then... don't read them. I don't. ;)
VPI Prime, HRX Center Weight, Periphery Ring, HRX Pulley w/3 belts, Phoenix Eagle/Roadrunner, Dynavector 20x2L
Analog Aecad

Postby Buck115 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:43 pm

I'm a member of both the Vinyl Engine and HiFi Engine websites. I joined each for their hard to find manuals. I haven't read the Vinyl Engine Forum in several years.
2 Channel: VPI Classic 1 | Ortofon Quintet Blue | Sunfire Symphonic Ref Preamp | B&K Reference 200.2 | Denon DCD-1650AR, DRM-800 | Sonos Connect | Klipsch KLF-20s | Monster HTS 5100 | AudioQuest King Cobra ICs, Gibraltar Bi-wires
Buck115

Postby rif » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:33 am

I've used vinyl engine, and find it useful

1) manuals
2) cartridge and tonearm databases
3) information on cartridge/arm setup
4) theory behind various different alignment approaches (baeworld, Stephenson - I may have these names wrong)

I don't use the forums, etc. So cannot comment.
rif

Postby edw » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:22 pm

I havent been there in a long time too. Easier to get better info elsewhere.
edw

Postby Packgrog » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:30 am

There used to be a VPI-specific forum there, but it was under-used, so the threads were merged into the regular Turntable forum.

I don't go there much. There's SOME good information, but a lot of junk as well. The same could be said for most forums, but I do find VinylEngine particularly frustrating in that regard, given the wealth of useful information in the DATABASE. The forums are fairly useless. A real shame.
VPI Scout Jr., Audio Technica AT33PTG/II, Phoenix Engineering Falcon w/ DIY Arduino Uno Tachometer, Audio Sensibility Impact SE Phono Cable, Musical Surroundings Nova Phonomena
Packgrog

Postby WntrMute » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:41 pm

I would respectfully disagree. There is plenty of good information on that forum but as in all forums one must evaluate the quality of the information. For instance on this forum, there are three experts in most minds. Mat, Harry and BRF. Almost all other opinions are dismissed or not even worthy of comment.
There is a great record cleaning fluid thread over there on VE for instance. If you don't read that thread or the similar one on AK, you are doing yourself a disservice! One difference between this forum and VE is that the cost of entry is different. It is similar to the difference between the "What's Best" Forum and the AK Forum. One is a cost-no-object assault on the best sound while the other is focused on obtaining the best sound with budget gear. The VPI forum has a cost of entry much higher than the cost of entry over at VE. Different strokes for different folks so to speak.
WntrMute

Postby spinblackcircle » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:09 pm

WntrMute wrote:Almost all other opinions are dismissed or not even worthy of comment.

I don't find that to be true, at least not personally.
VPI Prime/Grado Reference Master, VPI 16.5 RCM, Audio Research LP1, Audio Research VSI60, Martin Logan Electromotion ESL, ClearDay and Audio Sensibility Cables
spinblackcircle

Postby madrac » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:52 pm

spinblackcircle wrote:I don't find that to be true, at least not personally.

+1
madrac

Postby Dorian » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:18 am

madrac wrote:
spinblackcircle wrote:I don't find that to be true, at least not personally.

+1

+2
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Return to General Chat