VPI Tour Video on Stereophile

Re: VPI Tour Video on Stereophile

Postby Brf » Mon May 29, 2017 8:04 pm

Ducky wrote:That was a great video, thanks for posting that.

I was really hoping to see the machine shop during the tour. There must be some amazing CNC machines in there to do all the metal work. Maybe on the next installment (please)?

The out-takes were hilarious!

VPI outsources its metal work to MDI Manufacturing, a Lakewood, NJ-based company in which they have a long standing relationship.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Ducky » Mon May 29, 2017 8:38 pm

Brf wrote:
Ducky wrote:That was a great video, thanks for posting that.

I was really hoping to see the machine shop during the tour. There must be some amazing CNC machines in there to do all the metal work. Maybe on the next installment (please)?

The out-takes were hilarious!

VPI outsources its metal work to MDI Manufacturing, a Lakewood, NJ-based company in which they have a long standing relationship.

Wow, I did not know that. So the 3D arms are printed by one outside contractor and the metal work is done by another. What about the plinth? Where are those made? Does VPI do anything other than put all the parts together and test the final product?
Ducky

Postby WntrMute » Mon May 29, 2017 9:27 pm

I believe that is correct. Not all that different than how the Big Three build cars these days. Hundreds of specialty contractors doing what they know best how to do and all coming together to be assembled. Contrasted with SME that builds almost everything in house. Analog Planet has a video of a tour of that plant. Both concepts work fine. I guess, all things, including price, being equal, I'd prefer all things done "in house" but with so much specialization, let the experts do their thing and have a good quality control department overseeing the final result. I wonder what a current high end VPI table would cost if all the work from casting the platters to bearing fitment to final assembly were done "in house"?
WntrMute

Postby Guss2 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:24 am

WntrMute wrote:I believe that is correct. Not all that different than how the Big Three build cars these days. Hundreds of specialty contractors doing what they know best how to do and all coming together to be assembled. Contrasted with SME that builds almost everything in house. Analog Planet has a video of a tour of that plant. Both concepts work fine. I guess, all things, including price, being equal, I'd prefer all things done "in house" but with so much specialization, let the experts do their thing and have a good quality control department overseeing the final result. I wonder what a current high end VPI table would cost if all the work from casting the platters to bearing fitment to final assembly were done "in house"?

I know you're not implying this but I don't see anything wrong with this practice, especially since they're dealing with US companies. It keeps costs down and quality high; much like Rolex vs Omega, IMO.
Guss2

Postby Brf » Tue May 30, 2017 7:52 am

Unless you are running your machines 12hr per day, it does not make business sense to sink such a huge capital investment into VERY expensive CNC machines which require specialized maintenance, repair, and eventual replacement. Outsourcing for small manufactures in many instance, is the only option.
Brf
Site Admin

Postby Orchids1 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:11 pm

It not only makes sense financially, it almost always results in a higher quality product, and, of course, the components are built to VPI's specifications. Rich
Avenger, SS Paua cart, Phoenix Eagle psu and tach, Sutherland 20/20 phono, Audionet Pre 1 G3 pre, Benchmark AHB2 monos, YG Carmel 2 spkrs, Nordost/Audio Sensibilty ic, Kubla-Sonsa spkr cable; Auralic Aries renderer, Auralic Vega dac.
Orchids1

Postby Mat » Wed May 31, 2017 10:01 am

We had a few cross roads where we could have become a "one stop shop" and on all occasions the best solution was to stay the course. The first reason is to share jobs across more companies and people. If we were doing all the work than VPI would more than likely by a staff of 15-20 people. Having American manufacturing partners we are able to provide jobs to over 100 different works across New Jersey and stretching as far as Ohio. The advice my dad gave years ago from when he was a sheet-metal mechanic is that when you make it all in house you never really know how much the item cost to make. His old boss Sam Singer would get a check for 100K+ for a job and vent to my dad about how he didn't know if they actually made any money or not. Having partners we are always able to know how much a part costs and keep the quality control up. I was supposed to purchase a 3D printer but the day I was signing the contract we received a batch that was bad. That batch went right back and replaced at the proper and expected quality control levels. It also changes the environment at VPI form an insurance and safety stand point... point is, we have fantastic partners most of whom have been with us since the beginning of VPI :)
Mat Weisfeld
President
VPI Industries Inc.
Mat
Site Admin

Postby Dorian » Wed May 31, 2017 4:13 pm

Mat wrote:We had a few cross roads where we could have become a "one stop shop" and on all occasions the best solution was to stay the course. The first reason is to share jobs across more companies and people. If we were doing all the work than VPI would more than likely by a staff of 15-20 people. Having American manufacturing partners we are able to provide jobs to over 100 different works across New Jersey and stretching as far as Ohio. The advice my dad gave years ago from when he was a sheet-metal mechanic is that when you make it all in house you never really know how much the item cost to make. His old boss Sam Singer would get a check for 100K+ for a job and vent to my dad about how he didn't know if they actually made any money or not. Having partners we are always able to know how much a part costs and keep the quality control up. I was supposed to purchase a 3D printer but the day I was signing the contract we received a batch that was bad. That batch went right back and replaced at the proper and expected quality control levels. It also changes the environment at VPI form an insurance and safety stand point... point is, we have fantastic partners most of whom have been with us since the beginning of VPI :)

Makes complete sense to me Mat. Keep up the great work, I (and I'm sure we) appreciate it.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby Johnny » Wed May 31, 2017 5:08 pm

Nice video!
Johnny

Postby edw » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Liked the video too. I was pleasantly surprised how Matt was handling the lemo connector and wire from the 3D arms. Guess they are robust and I am babying them too much. :)
edw

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat