Prime Signature in the house

Re: Prime Signature in the house

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:02 am

Dorian wrote:Great-looking setup you have there Ayre. Can I ask what you have the Phoenix Tach and PSU sitting on? Looks like a mouse pad or something?

It is a mouse pad. It keeps them from sliding around on the shelf.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby baddog » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:13 am

Great looking setup, thanks for sharing!
Roon | Intel NUC6i5SYH | VPI Avenger Reference | Devialet 440 Pro | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Stillpoint Apertures | LPs
baddog

Postby Dorian » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:39 am

Ayre Conditioned wrote:It is a mouse pad. It keeps them from sliding around on the shelf.

Yeah mine also slide around. I have a spare black mouse pad, I will have to break it out. Thanks.
VPI Prime | SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC Star | Parasound Halo JC3+ | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby oldskooldude » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:01 pm

I have a Prime Signature too. I wonder what it would sound like with all your gizmos and the maple slab. I'm not about to pitch my 4" Mapleshade slab, but I am always looking for an improvement. Any insight?
oldskooldude

Postby oldskooldude » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Will those Herbie's Stabilizer's hold the weight of the Prime Signature long term? Aren't the Tenderfeet for the table. It seems since they are made as feet they would work better in that application. I use Bright Star Isonodes for my components. The XL is $50 for four and they will hold 60 lbs. They are very effective, but I'm intrigued by the Herbie's, but what a hassle to try them out. I basically would have to setup the table again. :)
Prime Signature/SoundSmith Voice/MMP3
C-J PV6 w/cap upgrade
Acoustat TNT-120 w/cap upgrade
Lynx Hilo A/DAC
Denon DP-60L/Grace F9 w/SoundSmith Ruby OCL stylus
JBL L100 w/Graveson crossover
ATC SCM19 V2
Synergistic HRT L1 & L2, HRT-X L1, PHT
MW-1 RCM
oldskooldude

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:22 am

oldskooldude wrote:Will those Herbie's Stabilizer's hold the weight of the Prime Signature long term? Aren't the Tenderfeet for the table. It seems since they are made as feet they would work better in that application. I use Bright Star Isonodes for my components. The XL is $50 for four and they will hold 60 lbs. They are very effective, but I'm intrigued by the Herbie's, but what a hassle to try them out. I basically would have to setup the table again. :)

The S.S. Stabilizers can handle the weight easily. I talked to Steve on the phone and he said that when used as bases under component feet the Stabilizers are sonically more neutral than any shelf material including maple. I have 4 Tenderfeet under the motor which works really well.
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
Ayre Conditioned

Postby oldskooldude » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Ok, I got these. Yes they are sonically neutral. And Steve does sell Herbies SS, so I am sure he knows how good they are. However, IMO the maple sounds better. There must be a reason why they use different types of wood in audio applications. I did not notice any difference in noise floor improvement. The Herbies SS are less expensive than the Mapleshade slab and they made my Prime Signature higher, if that is of value.

I also got some Herbies SS to pile on my components. With a tube pre and the rack directly behind the right speaker I thought I could use some extra damping beyond that which has already been applied with the Isonodes and damping material inside the case. After applying the Hernies and a week of constant listening I don't hear any improvement and I've turned it up to 100 dB SPL just to check. They may work but not beyond what I already had.

I don't know if you have a dust cover yet. The standard Audio Shield Prime dust cover comes with a 10" high interconnect opening. If you had to raise your Prime Signature a little to balance it and you put Herbies SS under it then that opening won't be tall enough. Plus, I think the PS feet are a little taller. I had a dust cover custom made by Stereo Squares. It has an 11" high opening.
Prime Signature/SoundSmith Voice/MMP3
C-J PV6 w/cap upgrade
Acoustat TNT-120 w/cap upgrade
Lynx Hilo A/DAC
Denon DP-60L/Grace F9 w/SoundSmith Ruby OCL stylus
JBL L100 w/Graveson crossover
ATC SCM19 V2
Synergistic HRT L1 & L2, HRT-X L1, PHT
MW-1 RCM
oldskooldude

Previous

Return to General Chat