SDS/Clasic Signature Interface

SDS/Clasic Signature Interface

Postby kdough » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:09 pm

I have a Classic Signature with SDS speed control. I have noticed a hum that only occurs when the speed control is being used (the hum is well into my normal listening volumes). When I run the table directly into the wall, no hum. I recently received correspondence from VPI via Music Direct (where I purchased the table) stating that this has been a problem in a few tables and requires the replacement of a capacitor. Here is my dilemma, I have received the capacitor from VPI but have no installation instructions. I don't even know if the capacitor goes into the turntable assembly or the SDS. Right now I am using the Classic without the SDS. As a result, I cannot adjust the speed (the table is running fast) and cannot change to 45rpm. I contacted Music Direct about installing the capacitor, I have to assume they don't know how to either since I did not receive a reply. Has anyone experienced this problem and has anyone actually made the fix that VPI recommends? I would appreciate any suggestions. The table is a recent purchase so I always have the option of sending it back under warranty for repair. Thanks for any input. Kevin
kdough

Re: SDS/Clasic Signature Interface

Postby mmai » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:58 am

Check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=8956&start=30

To save you the time of going thru such long thread, contact Michael Bettinger (info@vpiindustries.com).
VPI 30th Anniversary Classic (fully tricked out), Audio Technica AT-ART9 & AT33Mono, Aesthetix Rhea
mmai

Postby kdough » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:28 pm

Thanks for the info. I changed the capacitor on the turntable's motor today and it made things much worst. The turntable won't start without a push (no torque) and the motor vibrates uncontrollably until the platter is spinning. I followed the diagram sent when changing capacitors so I don't think it is anything I did. Looks like its time to send it back to VPI and let them figure it out. I am tempted to have the unit modified so it works without the SDS and eliminate the problem at the source. Of course, if this happens the table will have to be properly calibrated to run at the right speed without correction since right now if runs quite a bit fast. I would just like to have a turntable I can enjoy, nothing more. As far as I'm concerned the speed control can be tossed since it seems to cause more trouble than its worth.
kdough

Postby mmai » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:16 pm

Sorry to hear that.

Would you double check to see if the wiring is correct?

IIRC, one of the leads has three or four wires twisted together. Make sure they make good contact.

Also, check the value of the replacement capacitor -- it should be 0.68uF.

Here is a suggestion:
1. Reinstall the original capacitor to make sure it works without the SDS
2. Replace the original capacitor with the correction value replacement but pay attention when wiring -- remove one lead at a time then replace that lead with the new capacitor; repeat for the other lead. This method should reduce wiring error.

Best of luck!
VPI 30th Anniversary Classic (fully tricked out), Audio Technica AT-ART9 & AT33Mono, Aesthetix Rhea
mmai

Postby kdough » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:22 pm

Thanks for the response. I looked at the capacitor that VPI sent me and it says .47mfd +/- 10%, 600vdc. The part number is 941C6P47K-F. I get the feeling the wrong capacitor was sent. Please let me know if this is the case. Also, should I try replacing the existing one again if this was in fact the wrong capacitor, as I suspect?
I have reinstalled the original capacitor and had a great day listening to records yesterday, no hum. Since taking the part out and putting it back in should not solve the problem, I have come to the conclusion that the problem is the SDS unit. It is evidently an intermittent problem within the SDS. I'm sure it is just a matter of time before it comes back. When this happens, the next logical step would be to swap out and replace the SDS with a new unit. I am wondering if anyone else using an SDS unit has experienced this problem.
kdough

Postby mmai » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:22 pm

Replace the capacitor with the correct value and you should be good to go.
mmai

Postby abixler » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:42 pm

kdough wrote:Thanks for the response. I looked at the capacitor that VPI sent me and it says .47mfd +/- 10%, 600vdc. The part number is 941C6P47K-F. I get the feeling the wrong capacitor was sent. Please let me know if this is the case. Also, should I try replacing the existing one again if this was in fact the wrong capacitor, as I suspect?
I have reinstalled the original capacitor and had a great day listening to records yesterday, no hum. Since taking the part out and putting it back in should not solve the problem, I have come to the conclusion that the problem is the SDS unit. It is evidently an intermittent problem within the SDS. I'm sure it is just a matter of time before it comes back. When this happens, the next logical step would be to swap out and replace the SDS with a new unit. I am wondering if anyone else using an SDS unit has experienced this problem.

kdough, go to my post in Support - SDS problem with Prime table. I had the Classic 1 table and had the same issue. VPI sent the correct capacitor (your replacement is most likely incorrect), I replaced old with new and the table worked great. Had to send SDS back to VPI for repair to work with the Prime table. You may want to post your issue in Support also.
abixler

Postby kdough » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks for your help. I am going to move this subject to the support page as you suggest. VPI has asked me to send the SDS back to determine if there is a problem with my unit. They have not sent me the .68 mf capacitor yet but it is going to be sent to me as well. My question is this, would it be better to wait for the capacitor and try that as a last attempt to fix the hum or go ahead and return the unit. The reason I am questioning what to do is because the problem with the SDS seems to be intermittent, sometimes it works fine for a while before going back to producing the hum. If this is the case, it seems that the problem is with the unit itself and replacing capacitors in the turntable won't make any difference. If anyone has any opinions about this, would appreciate feedback. Thanks.
kdough

Postby rateourmover » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Too many variables. Send it back.

[ After a slight pause and serious second thoughts on this - SEND IT BACK ! ]
SuperScoutMstrRef. Terracone feet onto Symposium Ultra. Mystic Mat, 3belts, Lyra Skala, Dorian mono, MusicMaker III Moving Iron. HRX & Stillpoints LP1 wts. Hovland HP200P & Radia. (HP100 & Sapphire in their boxes. Interested ?)
rateourmover

Location: Deepest, darkest, northwest Herefordshire - close to the Welsh border.

Postby kdough » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks for your response. I'm taking your advise and sending the back.
kdough

Next

Return to General Chat