Mechanical Anti Skate

Re: Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:20 pm

Brf wrote:
You can have the vpi mechanical anti-skate engage at any point on the record by modifying the mono filament line.


Typically where should the anti-skate engage on the record for best results? And how would one go about adjusting the monofilament line to accomplish this?
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
User avatar
Ayre Conditioned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby Brf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:08 am

Ayre Conditioned wrote:
Brf wrote:
You can have the vpi mechanical anti-skate engage at any point on the record by modifying the mono filament line.


Typically where should the anti-skate engage on the record for best results? And how would one go about adjusting the monofilament line to accomplish this?


Skating forces start as soon as the cartridge touches the vinyl, therefore, the AS device should engage right after the lead in groove. Skating forces increase as the cartridge transverses the grooves towards the spindle. Since the AS device pivots around an axis, the force also increases until the weighted counter force arm reaches parallel. This ideally should be around the run out groove.

I tie my own AS line using a Tippet which is a really thin line used to tied fly fishing leaders.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3601
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby Ayre Conditioned » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:31 am

Brf wrote:
Skating forces start as soon as the cartridge touches the vinyl, therefore, the AS device should engage right after the lead in groove.


My as device starts to engage way before the arm ever gets to the record. Am I correctly assuming then that the fishing line is too short as supplied and that it would have to be lengthened or replaced with a longer one?
Prime Signature•Eagle PSU and Tach•Soundsmith Sussurro MkII
User avatar
Ayre Conditioned
Senior Member
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby Brf » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:31 am

Ayre Conditioned wrote:
Brf wrote:
Skating forces start as soon as the cartridge touches the vinyl, therefore, the AS device should engage right after the lead in groove.


My as device starts to engage way before the arm ever gets to the record. Am I correctly assuming then that the fishing line is too short as supplied and that it would have to be lengthened or replaced with a longer one?


Too early engagement is okay. You just don’t want the AS device to flip over when it finishes the run out groove. If it doesn’t, all is good.
User avatar
Brf
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3601
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 am

Re: Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby Stringreen » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:03 pm

Why does anyone bother with antiskate.....it does nothing good to the sound/tracking.
Stringreen
Senior Member
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:27 am

Re: Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby WntrMute » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:04 am

Stringreen wrote:Why does anyone bother with antiskate.....it does nothing good to the sound/tracking.


Umm, because not everyone agrees with you?
Let us list a few tone arm manufacturers that provide anti skate:
Linn
SME
Jelco
Reed
Rega
Clear Audio
Graham
Wheaton
Kuzma
Wilson Bench
To name the ones that come to mind easily. They probably wouldn't all waste their time and efforts if there wasn't a competing school of thought. Even HW provides rudimentary AS with his twist in the leadout wire.
User avatar
WntrMute
Senior Member
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Re: Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby Stringreen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Its included as an option with VPI.....if none is offered, you can't sell an arm.
Stringreen
Senior Member
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:27 am

Re: Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby WntrMute » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:47 am

Stringreen wrote:Its included as an option with VPI.....if none is offered, you can't sell an arm.


Maybe that is because most manufactures and consumers believe in trying to correct for a physical force.

When I do not use anti-skate on my SME-V the cantilever is clearly no longer centered in the opening of the cartridge. When I adjust anti-skate to the recommended figure, the cantilever no longer deflects. My linear tracking cartridge stays centered, clearly illustrating that skating forces do not come into play without headshell angle. Skating forces are real, if you find that your rig sounds better without trying to correct for it, more power to you. You are stating your opinion over and over, we all get that you don't like A/S.
User avatar
WntrMute
Senior Member
 
Posts: 575
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Re: Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby Stringreen » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:49 pm

The SME V has a damping mechanism that might very well be the reason you don't see stylus deflection. Its a rare cartridge that needs damping - usually closes in - muddies the sound. Also the V has no provision for azimuth adjustment which is extremely important for best sound. The V is made very well - their turntables are much better than their V. VPI's 3D arm - especially with the 2nd pivot (and no a/s) provides much better sound.
Stringreen
Senior Member
 
Posts: 365
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:27 am

Re: Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby audiom3 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:28 pm

WntrMute wrote:
Stringreen wrote:Its included as an option with VPI.....if none is offered, you can't sell an arm.


Maybe that is because most manufactures and consumers believe in trying to correct for a physical force.

When I do not use anti-skate on my SME-V the cantilever is clearly no longer centered in the opening of the cartridge. When I adjust anti-skate to the recommended figure, the cantilever no longer deflects. My linear tracking cartridge stays centered, clearly illustrating that skating forces do not come into play without headshell angle. Skating forces are real, if you find that your rig sounds better without trying to correct for it, more power to you. You are stating your opinion over and over, we all get that you don't like A/S.


Since I've changed out my stock Classic 1 tonearm (w/ the damping fluid cup) to the adjustable VTA tower and 3D arm, I noticed that I no longer need anti-skate. I tested it and when AS is engaged, the stylus deflects toward the center of the record. With no AS, It glides straight down. I've tried to move the donut(s) to their lowest point(s) but the deflection towards the spindle still occurs. I don't even have the arm wire twisted.
Classic w/ 3D arm & VTA Tower; Kiseki Blue N.S.; Benz Micro Wood SL; Sutherland 20/20 Phono Preamp
User avatar
audiom3
Senior Member
 
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:44 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

x