Mechanical Anti Skate

Re: Mechanical Anti Skate

Postby VinBob » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:04 pm

And what about this recommendation from VPI with regards to using a groove less LP? I am assuming that one should only use the groove-less LP side "with the mechanical A/S" and not with just the lemo wire correct?

Note from VPI in user guide:
If you try adjusting the anti-skate with a groove less
record, you will ruin the twist in the tonearm wire
and void your warranty. Do this with the mechanical
anti-skate if you want that much anti-skate.
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Dorian » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:35 pm

Yes that makes sense. Harry is saying that you'd need to twist the wire so much to slow the arm down, that you'd damage the wire. So, if you insist on using a grooveless record, use the anti-skate device not the tonearm wire twist method.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby VinBob » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks Dorian. So the question is whether it makes sense to use the groove-less LP side when using a non Soundsmith cartridge - I am going to ping my dealer on this and get his recommendation on this too, as he was the one that originally setup my TT for me...
VPI Prime | Lyra Delos | Phoenix Engineering Eagle & Roadrunner | Moon 310LP/320S | Bryston BP-25 & 3BSST | B&W CM8 S2 | Naim DAC-V1 | Rega Apollo-R
VinBob

Postby Dorian » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:41 pm

VinBob wrote:So the question is whether it makes sense to use the groove-less LP side when using a non Soundsmith cartridge

No problem and yes, I agree that is the question at hand.
VPI Prime #959 | SoundSmith MIMC Star | iFi iPhono v2 (Herron VTPH-2A ordered) | Primaluna DiaLogue Premium Integrated | KEF LS-50s | Phoenix Eagle & Roadrunner | Stillpoints ULPI | Boston Audio Mat2 | Audio Sensibility Cables | Sound Anchor Stands
Dorian

Postby VinBob » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:19 pm

This is what I got from my dealer whom I totally trust with this stuff:

I keep it really simple: Lower the stylus onto the record and observe if it gets pulled inward or pushed outward. Hopefully it touches down nicely in the groove without deflecting one way or another, but if it does, simply adjust anti-skate as necessary. If it gets pulled inward, increase anti-skate, if it gets pushed outward decrease anti-skate. That’s about it.

I guess a good pair of eyes are needed for this eyeballing technique but certainly worth trying...
VinBob

Postby Brf » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:37 pm

VinBob wrote:This is what I got from my dealer whom I totally trust with this stuff:

I keep it really simple: Lower the stylus onto the record and observe if it gets pulled inward or pushed outward. Hopefully it touches down nicely in the groove without deflecting one way or another, but if it does, simply adjust anti-skate as necessary. If it gets pulled inward, increase anti-skate, if it gets pushed outward decrease anti-skate. That’s about it.

I guess a good pair of eyes are needed for this eyeballing technique but certainly worth trying...

Is your dealer talking about cantilever deflection in a modulated groove?
Brf
Site Admin

Postby VinBob » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:03 pm

Brf wrote:
VinBob wrote:This is what I got from my dealer whom I totally trust with this stuff:

I believe so but let me check with him and will report back as soon as I hear...
VinBob

Postby VinBob » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:11 pm

Brf wrote:

Just got this back from my dealer:
Yes, that’s correct, using a regular LP. It should be clarified that that’s all I do for my personal setup. When setting up or testing for a customer we look for cantilever deflection, plus test and tweak by using a test record. So in short, a combination of methods are used to set anti-skate.

So looks like he uses a combination of things when he sets up for customers but for his own, just looks for the cantilever deflection in a modulated groove using a regular LP...

I guess there are many ways to skin this cat and no single silver bullet! :)
VinBob

Postby Dorian » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:29 pm

VinBob wrote:I guess there are many ways to skin this cat and no single silver bullet! :)

Nicely mixed metaphors.... :ugeek:

In lieu of specific instructions from your cart's manufacturer, I would just use Harry's wire-twist method. That's what I was doing before I got the SoundSmith cart.
Dorian

Postby WntrMute » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:30 pm

I'm a fan of the observe the cantilever method as I've stated before.
WntrMute

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat